• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

Gomez656

U19 Cricketer
England tour of West Indies, 2019
3 Tests,5 ODI, 3 T20s. Jan 15-March 10

Jan 23, - Jan 27, Windies vs England, 1st Test
Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados

Jan 31 - Feb 04,Windies vs England, 2nd Test
Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, North Sound

Feb 09 - Feb 13,Windies vs England, 3rd Test
Daren Sammy Stadium, St Lucia

Feb 20,Windies vs England, 1st ODI

Feb 22,Windies vs England, 2nd ODI

Feb 25,Windies vs England, 3rd ODI
National Cricket Stadium, Grenada

Feb 27,Windies vs England, 4th ODI
National Cricket Stadium, Grenada

Mar 02, Windies vs England, 5th ODI
Daren Sammy stadium, St Lucia

Mar 05, Windies vs England, 1st T20I
Daren Sammy Stadium, St Lucia

Mar 08, Windies vs England, 2nd T20I
Warner Park, Basseterre, St Kitts

Mar 10, Windies vs England, 3rd T20I
Warner Park, Basseterre, St Kitts

Gomez656

U19 Cricketer
England Test & ODI team in Westindies 2019

Lancashire trio named in England squad for West Indies tour

The ECB have also named a 15-strong

England Test squad

Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
Jimmy Anderson (Lancashire)
Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Rory Burns (Surrey)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Joe Denly (Kent)
Ben Foakes (Surrey)
Keaton Jennings (Lancashire)
Jack Leach (Somerset)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Olly Stone (Warwickshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

England ODI Squad

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) Captain
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Tom Curran (Surrey)
Joe Denly (Kent)
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
Liam Plunkett (Surrey)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
David Willey (Yorkshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

England tour of the Caribbean warm up matches

Two-day warm-up match, WI Board XI v England, 15-16 January 2019, Three Ws Oval, Barbado

Two-day warm-up match, WI Board XI v England, 17-18 January 2019, Three Ws Oval, Barbado

Gomez656

U19 Cricketer
Folks
warm up matches are most important for many reasons so open thread as eng will play two 2 days matches before first test

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard to predict the team as they need to see the pitches first. Presume we will need 2 spinners so Moeen and Leach should get picked. Does Bairstow remain at 3 and is he going to be good enough there long term?

I stand by what I said earlier this year that Curran has to play all games possible from now on. Cracking young player who learns fast and Jimmy and Broad won't be there to carry the attack for much longer.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah fair assessment.

England's allrounders do a lot to make the side much harder to pick than it should be. A side without Moeen Ali in it is actually quite balanced and normal looking:

1. Jennings
2. Burns
3. Bairstow
4. Root
5. Stokes
6. Buttler
7. Foakes
8. Curran
9. Leach
10. Broad
11. Anderson

I'm fairly sure that Moeen is a more valuable cricketer than half those players, being about as good a bowler as Leach and (probably) about as good a batsman as Foakes (and having won significantly more matches than either). Him making it work as a top order player would have been amazing but I can't see it working, his only value is in the places where we're actually stacked. My guess is they will play him at 7 and leave out Foakes.

I hope they don't feel as though two spinners is an absolute necessity. I could see Ali being the only spinner in an attack that works. The Windies pace attack has actually been functioning perfectly well over there in the last few years since England last toured:

Gabriel 55 wickets at 21
Holder 50 wickets at 23
Roach 23 wickets at 30
Cummins 18 wickets at 27

The spinners have actually done relatively little for them.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
I hope they don't feel as though two spinners is an absolute necessity. I could see Ali being the only spinner in an attack that works.
Yeah, I'd go for the side you posted but with Moeen instead of Leach. I do feel that Leach was the better bowler of the two in SL (not by a huge margin, but still ahead), but Moeen was still very good and even his recently diminished batting returns are a big step up from Leach's batting.

Last edited:

Kilowatt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Didn't England lose a Test Match to Windies AT HOME. And only managed to draw the series prior to that.

And they think they should be Number 1 side #Embarrassing

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Didn't England lose a Test Match to Windies AT HOME. And only managed to draw the series prior to that.

And they think they should be Number 1 side #Embarrassing
Wouldn't this outlook make losing 4-1 to the side that lost a test to the West Indies even worse?

FBU

International Debutant
Hard to predict the team as they need to see the pitches first. Presume we will need 2 spinners so Moeen and Leach should get picked. Does Bairstow remain at 3 and is he going to be good enough there long term?

I stand by what I said earlier this year that Curran has to play all games possible from now on. Cracking young player who learns fast and Jimmy and Broad won't be there to carry the attack for much longer.
Where is Broad going? He is only 32. I agree Curran has to play all Tests from now on and Root has to give him more overs. Feel he is underbowled. Last 7 Tests he got 106 overs while the other two, 225 and 193 overs.

flibbertyjibber

Where is Broad going? He is only 32. I agree Curran has to play all Tests from now on and Root has to give him more overs. Feel he is underbowled. Last 7 Tests he got 106 overs while the other two, 225 and 193 overs.
He is 32 and most fast bowlers don't go on much longer. McGrath, Walsh and Anderson are freaks.

SillyCowCorner1

1.Brathwaite
2.Anyone not named Kieran Powell or Devon Smith, (Tage slowpaul?, keacy, Taryck ))
3. Shai Hope
4. Shimron Hetmyer
5. Roston Chase
6. Shane Dowrich
7. Jason Holder
8. Spinner: Bishoo/Khan/Rahkeem
9. Pacers: roach/gabriel/Alzarri/keemo
10. More pacers: Clinton Pestano/Cummins
11. Them dudes these: shilling/milla/Warrick

Vishaul Singh in the runs again.

*just a rough draft

Have to see how the next round of first class matches go. Next week

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Do WI need to play 5 bowlers realistically? Gabriel, Roach, Holder and a spinner (Bishoo, Warrican, Khan) is a top attack.

EDIT: Also Chase can be used as a 2nd spinner

Last edited:

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Yeah West Indies genuinely have a very good bowling attack, baring a decent spinner.

Can someone explain to me why Nikita Miller has only ever played one test for the West Indies? There's probably a good reason, but 500 fc wickets at 16 is outstanding and I would have thought he would have got more chances. 10fer in his last FC match as well by the looks of it

Kilowatt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wouldn't this outlook make losing 4-1 to the side that lost a test to the West Indies even worse?
Absolute butchering of logic.

Would Liverpool be less deserving of their title if they lost to some low slung bottom feeder nincompoop. Would that team then deserve the PL more? When you want to determine the best team, you look at their overall performance and not cherry pick one match or series which would little doubt that India is the best team in the world, with England and NZ scraping for 2nd place. Which is why comments like 'India don't deserve No.1 because we 'thumped' them 4-1' don't make any sense.

Even Head2Head India is well ahead of England by virtue of stomping England on our home grounds while leaving England fending us off by the skin of their teeth on the return leg.

the big bambino

International Captain
True enough: and the same sort of false analogy you used when cherry picking England's passing and distant losses to the WI.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can someone explain to me why Nikita Miller has only ever played one test for the West Indies? There's probably a good reason, but 500 fc wickets at 16 is outstanding and I would have thought he would have got more chances. 10fer in his last FC match as well by the looks of it
Barely gets the thing off the straight.