• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in The West Indies

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Before the match, a Sky panelist said that the middle order looks thin, without Butcher, Hussain and Thorpe. Of course, Butcher is a total ODI MISFIT and Hussain has retired and knowing him, he'll never return, but why leave Thorpe out? He scored a 100 before last year's NatWest challenge and has made himself available. Even Solanki has to return, since he can hit the ball hard and is a very good fielder. Both are far better batsmen than Clarke, who has neither staying nor striking power. And why was Blackwell left out? Just because of a first ball zero? They got 280 with great difficulty yesterday, but without Blackwell and Trescothick now gone (typed at 7:55 p.m. IST), they'll struggle to even get 210!

twctopcat

International Regular
Couldn't agree more, dont why they persist with Clarke, Solanki's spin would be as pentetrative as Clarke's "Medium-fast" and even though Solanki is a liability at least he can get runs, let's see Clarke get bowled attempting a sweep today.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Arjun said:
Before the match, a Sky panelist said that the middle order looks thin, without Butcher, Hussain and Thorpe. Of course, Butcher is a total ODI MISFIT and Hussain has retired and knowing him, he'll never return, but why leave Thorpe out? He scored a 100 before last year's NatWest challenge and has made himself available. Even Solanki has to return, since he can hit the ball hard and is a very good fielder. Both are far better batsmen than Clarke, who has neither staying nor striking power. And why was Blackwell left out? Just because of a first ball zero? They got 280 with great difficulty yesterday, but without Blackwell and Trescothick now gone (typed at 7:55 p.m. IST), they'll struggle to even get 210!

Thorpe Retired from ONE DAY internationals ages ago. Blackwell is in for his bowling not just his batting, England think it will take spin and Batty is far and away the better spinner...he can also bat a bit too. Solanki has every shot in the book and LOOKS a good batsmen, unfortunatly he tries to hit balls that are just too good out the ground hense he has a very poor average.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Couldn't agree more, dont why they persist with Clarke, Solanki's spin would be as pentetrative as Clarke's "Medium-fast" and even though Solanki is a liability at least he can get runs, let's see Clarke get bowled attempting a sweep today.
In fairness, with one over to go he was 'improvising' - and I reckon Clarke's fielding is on a different planet to anone else in the England side except possibly Collingwood.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
He takes AGES to score LESS THAN 30 runs and then throws his wicket away for no reason. This is why he has never been considered for ODI cricket. Besides, he's the WEAKEST LINK on the field and given the high standards set by the Australians in fielding, he is a liability on the team. You have to be a very loyal Mark Butcher fan to support him so much, but I doubt if he's one to have a great fan following for his on-field exploits, given the way he plays.

The real concern is Vaughan's form in ODI's. Ian Botham said it's very average. I would say it is very pathetic, given how good a batsman he is. He can score big hundreds and play positively when needed. The English ODI side are missing as many as 40-50 runs in every match because of this. That said, he has played well. Hope he gets a century and a big one, even a double (typed at 8:53 IST).

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
In fairness, with one over to go he was 'improvising' - and I reckon Clarke's fielding is on a different planet to anone else in the England side except possibly Collingwood.
i have to agree. Clarke has to be persisted with. Im not sure about Blackwell though. I mean he should be told to go away and come back when he's at least remotely fit. People like Tresco and Flintoff are naturally 'big' but they have put the effort in to at least get more lean and naturally atheltic, Blackwell is just fat :laugh:

Clarkes batting is alot better than he has shown so far. Atm cos he is coming in so far down the order he is rarely able to just bat properly. Im sure as the years go on he'll turn into a very good batter / fielder for england who can turn his arm over if needed.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Vaughan gets a half-century. Only his 2nd in 18 ODI innings. Disgraceful.
I agree, awful. Should have made sure he got out on 49.

and what are you doing in here? There's ducks to shoot

luckyeddie is the new Duck Hunt champion! Today

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
The commentators stated earlier on that they weren't sure why they were bothering looking for a run when they were hitting back to Powell, and when they finally do go for the run it's out.

Nice sets being played by the English batsmen, it looks like they're doing what the Windies did yesterday.

PY

International Coach
Two big innings from Strauss and Vaughan today with one more required from a big-hitting Lancastian.

No pressure mate. :cool2:

a massive zebra

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
I agree, awful. Should have made sure he got out on 49.
No im being deadly serious. Honest.

Two 50s in 18 innings is not good enough for the captain of England, he should be ashamed of himself.

luckyeddie said:
and what are you doing in here? There's ducks to shoot

luckyeddie is the new Duck Hunt champion! Today
Well done old man. :cool:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SpaceMonkey said:
Great knock by Smith and Sarwan but i cant help but think they shouldnt have been able to hit 1 of those sixes if we'd have bowled properly. I mean how hard is it to drill it into bowlers to BOWL FULL? jesus. I also have NO idea what Blackwell was trying to do, just rolling out deliveries with hardly any spin on them but pitching them on a line and length as if he was spinning it sideways. He should have watched how Gayle varies his pace / length to such good effect.
Hopefully Harmison / Anderson / Blackwell will learn from this and the next time they are in this situation they wont make the same mistakes again. But then again this is england and we like to do things the hard way :@
I could say the same about the West Indies in the 1st game. The difference is that England did it worse than Collymore.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loony BoB said:
Nice sets being played by the English batsmen, it looks like they're doing what the Windies did yesterday.
Really? It looks to me like they're doing what they (England) did yesterday.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I bet the English bowlers are wishing the Windies bowlers would bowl at the end like they did. It'll hopefully drive the message home that this is how to end an innings. Saying that, it's only fitting that Gough ended up not out with runs, being the only bowler who pulled off a good finish yesterday.