• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Sri Lanka

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
You'd love to think it does, I'm sure.
Salisbury is fifty times the bowler Harmison or Giles are.
Up to the season 2000, you would have had a point. He had a number of excellent seasons, was a regular wicket-taker and definite threat whenever he had the ball in his hand.

However...

2001 - 27 wickets at 43
2002 - 37 wickets at 32
2003 - 33 wickets at 37

Not very good - indicative of a bowler who has 'lost it'.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, I was deadly serious.
Read the quote from Neil.
If I had written it as a laugh, it wouldn't apply.
So he plays a crucial role in saving a match we'd all but certainly have lost without that knock (on his debut) and you'd drop him for scoring slowly when that was what was required?

Craig

World Traveller
Hey why dont we name everysignle English cricketer in CC or in the England team absolutely hopeless and useless. I'm sure we have just stopped at that mark. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
Up to the season 2000, you would have had a point. He had a number of excellent seasons, was a regular wicket-taker and definite threat whenever he had the ball in his hand.

However...

2001 - 27 wickets at 43
2002 - 37 wickets at 32
2003 - 33 wickets at 37

Jumped the shark.

Allan Donald 'jumped the shark' IMO.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Is there any English bowler you DO rate?
Yup, Anderson has enormous potential, Jones could be useful although I'm not crossing my fingers and I think Hoggard is a must pick in friendly conditions such as found in England and New Zealand...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So he plays a crucial role in saving a match we'd all but certainly have lost without that knock (on his debut) and you'd drop him for scoring slowly when that was what was required?
No, I was having a :lol: :lol: :lol: .
I can't believe you haven't worked that out by now.
Neil said something, I searched for any replies from LE, found none, and decided to post a not-that-funny reply.
I really didn't expect it to come to this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:

However...

2001 - 27 wickets at 43
2002 - 37 wickets at 32
2003 - 33 wickets at 37

I know.
There were times last season when he looked like he was coming back to his old self. But he just couldn't maintain it (as 33 @ 37 show).
I really don't believe in just "losing it" like *that*; it doesn't seem realistic. Though a tour of Pakistan (2000\01) like his would obviously knock the stuffing out of most people, I don't see that it can affect for that long.
I still hold hopes of him proving his worth to the Surrey faithful again, though I sometimes feel the same with him as I do with Friend Dominic.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Indeed. 177 wickets @ 27.32 with 17x5w, 2x10w. BB- 8/53, SR-61.4

Not bad.
I reckon it coulda been much better but for the massive injury problems he suffered for the first 2\3s of his career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
What's been the trouble with England, IMO, is that many English supporters believes them to be near the top of the world but they aren't - rather like their football team. Thus, when their players do not perform, the fans jump to the conclusion that there must be somebody better out there, because England must have players that can be world-beaters somewhere. But they don't. England have to pick 11 players, even if this means that they have to pick players like Giles and Harmison who are among the best 11 in England but sadly not anywhere near top of the world. They can't just drop Giles and pick somebody else - cos they don't have other spinners who can perform (and whoever says Gareth Batty or Robert Croft will suffer the ignore cannon). And they need a spinner because an all-seam attack is pointless, as can be shown by the series in Sri Lanka. Although, of course, this is different on non-spinning pitches (Headingley), the effect of batsmen having to adjust to different kinds of bowling can't be underestimated. They can't drop Harmison and pick somebody else - cos there, in the selectors' mind, doesn't seem to be anyone who has the talent to do better.
England has a population of 60,000,000. If there are not good players out there as there are in the rest of The World then laws of numbers are defied, and that doesn't happen.
England have good players. Robert Croft mightn't be a World-beater, but he's better than Ashley Giles if you ask me.
Just because the selectors pick someone doesn't mean there is no-one better.
And if you really think there is no point dropping someone who has failed because you've already judged that he's better than others who've not been tried and have succeeded at a lower level, you really do have a strange theorem.
And finally, if you think batsmen will have more trouble with four seamers and a spinner than five seamers on a proper Headingley wicket you're seriously delusional. Batsmen have more trouble with a ball that moves around off the seam than one that is bowled a bit slower than they've recently been facing and doesn't move.
In England four seamers, six batsmen (if Read continues to be picked) is a better strategy than wasting a place with a fingerspinner, like Giles or Croft or worse, someone else. No fingerspinner is ever going to be effective in England and there is no point picking a wristspinner for England because none have even done well in county cricket recently. A seamer mightn't have much of a chance, either, if he's Harmison, Hoggard, Anderson, Jones, Flintoff or some other rubbish seamer who can't move the ball except off the seam, but they're all better options than a fingerspinner.
I guess facts are futile.

Just to refresh your memory, Ramprakash had a batting average of 27 at both Test and ODI level.

Salisbury did have a bowling average of 35 in ODIs, but 5 wickets in 4 games is hardly anything to judge anybody on. In his 15 tests, his average was at a modest 77 at a strike rate of 125.

If that's impressive, Nathan Bracken is a better bowler than Muttiah Muralitharan.

I don't count the county records because a) county cricket is meaningless and b) you said international.

Ian David Kenneth Salisbury

Mark Ravin Ramprakash
I guess you missed the sarcasm in the post you quoted from. If it had been a serious post you would have debunked it impressively.
However, a few mistakes in your analysis:
1, you (and most people) miss the fact that Ramprakash averages 37 in Test-cricket from 1998 onwards when you get rid of 7 innings in which he was made to bat totally out of position. His only failures in 7 series' were against New Zealand and he was dropped after both. Were he to have played in any of the 7 series' from 2002 onwards I have little doubt in my mind that he would have maintained his good average.
2, county cricket is meaningless, eh? What evidence is there for that, then? Because I see none whatsoever.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
England has a population of 60,000,000. If there are not good players out there as there are in the rest of The World then laws of numbers are defied, and that doesn't happen.
England have good players. Robert Croft mightn't be a World-beater, but he's better than Ashley Giles if you ask me.
Just because the selectors pick someone doesn't mean there is no-one better.
And if you really think there is no point dropping someone who has failed because you've already judged that he's better than others who've not been tried and have succeeded at a lower level, you really do have a strange theorem.
And finally, if you think batsmen will have more trouble with four seamers and a spinner than five seamers on a proper Headingley wicket you're seriously delusional. Batsmen have more trouble with a ball that moves around off the seam than one that is bowled a bit slower than they've recently been facing and doesn't move.
In England four seamers, six batsmen (if Read continues to be picked) is a better strategy than wasting a place with a fingerspinner, like Giles or Croft or worse, someone else. No fingerspinner is ever going to be effective in England and there is no point picking a wristspinner for England because none have even done well in county cricket recently. A seamer mightn't have much of a chance, either, if he's Harmison, Hoggard, Anderson, Jones, Flintoff or some other rubbish seamer who can't move the ball except off the seam, but they're all better options than a fingerspinner.
Interestingly, this is just the point I was making. Do you honestly think the selectors, who are actually paid and have a full-time job watching cricket up and down the country, are less qualified to find the eleven best players in England than yourself?

England have a population of 60,000,000, yes. Of which, I may add, most sports addicts follow football, then rugby union or league, then possibly cricket as a fourth sport. Same with playing the sport. Australia are the world's best team at the moment, no arguing with that, and they have a population of 12,000,000 while India, who could be runners-up if they performed consistently, have a population of 1 billion, most of whom are crazy about the sport. The law of numbers is defied in cricket.

Actually, if batsmen have only been bowling balls that moves off the seam, they learn to recognise that after a while. That's why I think that an alternative, even though it's only Ashley Giles, is good. He might not take wickets, but his seaming partner might, because the batsman have to adjust to differently bowled balls all the time.

As for wrist-spinners, I guess "recently" means this season? Or have you forgotten Chris Schofield's FC bowling average of 31, which is pretty impressive for a wrist-spinner in England? I'll admit that this season hasn't been too good, but IMO he's one of England's best spinners at the moment (not that it's saying a lot)

I guess you missed the sarcasm in the post you quoted from. If it had been a serious post you would have debunked it impressively.
However, a few mistakes in your analysis:
1, you (and most people) miss the fact that Ramprakash averages 37 in Test-cricket from 1998 onwards when you get rid of 7 innings in which he was made to bat totally out of position. His only failures in 7 series' were against New Zealand and he was dropped after both. Were he to have played in any of the 7 series' from 2002 onwards I have little doubt in my mind that he would have maintained his good average.
2, county cricket is meaningless, eh? What evidence is there for that, then? Because I see none whatsoever.
Sorry, I've been reading too many of raju's posts here to actually believe it's sarcasm...unless all of his posts here have been that.

I beg to differ on Ramprakash's failures though. I'd say he failed splendidly against WI in England too, hitting 20 off 4 innings...that's tailend batting - and none of them was due to dodgy umpiring either. OK, so he was dropped after that, but he was clearly out of form. Averaging 25 against Zimbabwe in the series just before wasn't exactly good either.

Let me rephrase the "meaningless"-ness of county cricket - "Meaningless with relevance to selecting a Test XI". Batting averages are inflated, as you can see from overseas players who have much higher batting averages in England than in their home countries (Hussey for Northants for example) there is no real pressure on the players to do well, and when there is pressure many of the good players in county cricket fail quite remarkably (Crawley, Afzaal, possibly even Ramprakash and Hick). As a result, new talent these days is often uncovered through the Academy and scourging of the clubs rather than through county cricket (Anderson). Also, the number of matches in county cricket tires out the fast bowlers. Ever wondered why Gough, Fraser and the other fast bowlers England have fostered in the last years have always been ridden by injury? Well, surely, you must have reached the same conclusion - they bowl too much.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Interestingly, this is just the point I was making. Do you honestly think the selectors, who are actually paid and have a full-time job watching cricket up and down the country, are less qualified to find the eleven best players in England than yourself?
Yes, I do. I wouldn't disagree with decisions if I didn't think they were wrong. I think the selectors don't take any notice of some of the important stuff and have the wrong attitudes and values. They place too much emphasis on some things and not enough on others. However this is not really a personal fault against David Graveney and Geoff Millar - most selection is influenced by what is the most in-demand in the press, and of course what is happening on the field.
England have a population of 60,000,000, yes. Of which, I may add, most sports addicts follow football, then rugby union or league, then possibly cricket as a fourth sport. Same with playing the sport. Australia are the world's best team at the moment, no arguing with that, and they have a population of 12,000,000 while India, who could be runners-up if they performed consistently, have a population of 1 billion, most of whom are crazy about the sport. The law of numbers is defied in cricket.
And there are reasons, including problems with scouting and coaching, for this defiance.
The basic ability cannot be defied. It simply isn't possible.
Actually, if batsmen have only been bowling balls that moves off the seam, they learn to recognise that after a while. That's why I think that an alternative, even though it's only Ashley Giles, is good. He might not take wickets, but his seaming partner might, because the batsman have to adjust to differently bowled balls all the time.
Even if you see the ball moving off the seam all the time, you can't recognise or adapt and play for it. No-one knows which way the ball is going to move off the seam, so you can't predict it. Some balls move, some don't. Throw in uneven bounce and it's even harder. You get a good set of seam bowlers bowling at the top of their game and no batsmen have a chance. Witness the 61AO in 2000, with Gough, Caddick and Cork bowling as well as you can bowl. Very little poor batting. The only real runs in that game were made against the hopelessly wayward King and McLean. A spinner is a waste of a place at Headingley, unless you've got unusual conditions.
As for wrist-spinners, I guess "recently" means this season? Or have you forgotten Chris Schofield's FC bowling average of 31, which is pretty impressive for a wrist-spinner in England? I'll admit that this season hasn't been too good, but IMO he's one of England's best spinners at the moment (not that it's saying a lot)
"Recently" means in the last 4 or 5 years. 31 is not an especially impressive average for a wristspinner, because the essence of a wristspinner is you pose a threat anywhere. Hence a bowling-average under 30 is a neccesity to even come close to the step-up to the higher level; one under 27 suggests you might be able to and one under 25 says you really should be able to, just the same as a seamer.
Schofield's perennial problem is that he is hopelessly inconsistent; 2003 was very poor for the most part, 2002 excellent though limited, and in 2001 and 2000 he was good only in the occasional spell. He struggles to get a bowl for Lancs regularly. Without doubt in my mind he could be the second-best spinner in England (after Salisbury) - but he's not at the moment.
Sorry, I've been reading too many of raju's posts here to actually believe it's sarcasm...unless all of his posts here have been that.

I beg to differ on Ramprakash's failures though. I'd say he failed splendidly against WI in England too, hitting 20 off 4 innings...that's tailend batting - and none of them was due to dodgy umpiring either. OK, so he was dropped after that, but he was clearly out of form. Averaging 25 against Zimbabwe in the series just before wasn't exactly good either.
I did mention that his success excluded the 7 innings you name, because he was being forced to open. He is not an opener. Hence I don't consider it fair to count these innings as proving anything other than that he is not an opening-batsman.
Let me rephrase the "meaningless"-ness of county cricket - "Meaningless with relevance to selecting a Test XI". Batting averages are inflated, as you can see from overseas players who have much higher batting averages in England than in their home countries (Hussey for Northants for example) there is no real pressure on the players to do well, and when there is pressure many of the good players in county cricket fail quite remarkably (Crawley, Afzaal, possibly even Ramprakash and Hick). As a result, new talent these days is often uncovered through the Academy and scourging of the clubs rather than through county cricket (Anderson).
Are you really trying to say that club-cricket is more meaningful than county-cricket, first or second XI? If so I find that a baffling idea. There are four clear stages of the cricketing hierachy in England, each a higher level of standard than the one before: Club (and there are generally three levels of Club; First, Second and Third XIs. I am a Third XI player, and not an especially good one); Minor County or First-Class County Second-XI; and First-Class County First-XI. The Academy is designed to help-out county-cricket, because there is little time for practice during the season.
To cite Anderson as proving anything is also rather strange, as it's not as if Anderson has failed in county-cricket; all right, he's been rather expensive, but he's taken wickets far more cheaply than he has in Tests. All right, he hasn't played much county cricket, but if he'd failed in 2002 for Lancs, mark my words, he wouldn't have played international cricket yet. He might have gone to the Academy, but he wouldn't have been rushed as he has been.
The best thing for Anderson right now would be for him to be dropped and left-out of the side for at least a year, to allow him to play some county cricket and hopefully improve. Because ATM he's clearly not Test class.
There is no disputing the fact that The Pura Cup is a higher level competition than The County Championship - Australia are a better team than England. But how this means the Championship is doing something wrong I don't know.
You list Afzaal; what for? Afzaal does not have an impressive First-Class record and he failed in Tests; no surprise. Ramprakash, as I have stated, has not failed in Tests recently except against New Zealand. Crawley certainly has not, that's not really up for dispute. Hick and Knight have; they have flaws in their game that county cricket has not exposed. These have always existed and it's not as if there aren't similar players Worldwide, for instance Bevan in Australia.
Also, the number of matches in county cricket tires out the fast bowlers. Ever wondered why Gough, Fraser and the other fast bowlers England have fostered in the last years have always been ridden by injury? Well, surely, you must have reached the same conclusion - they bowl too much.
No, not at all. This is a conclusion that totally ignores historic fact. In the 1950s seamers regularly bowled in at the very least 20 First-Class matches. There were far fewer injuries then. If the reason for all the plethora of injuries in recent years could be identified then it would probably be stopped, so we can only speculate. However, one thing we can very safely rule-out is too much cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
1, you (and most people) miss the fact that Ramprakash averages 37 in Test-cricket from 1998 onwards when you get rid of 7 innings in which he was made to bat totally out of position. His only failures in 7 series' were against New Zealand and he was dropped after both.
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Why not go further and take out a few more where he didn't get past 10, would make your perceived average for him look better.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
A spinner is a waste of a place at Headingley, unless you've got unusual conditions.
And playing 5 seamers all of a very similar pace and all right arm wasn't?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Hick and Knight have; they have flaws in their game that county cricket has not exposed.
Hick was so exposed that in the years 1993-5 he played 30 Tests and averaged 46.61 (against the likes of India in India, Australia at home and both the Windies and the South Africans home AND away)

So how come that lot never exposed these flaws?

Craig

World Traveller
I remember reading about Mike Atherton. He used to like to cut through the gully/backward point region in the air.

After the 90/91 Ashes, Australian teams figured it out, but in all his years of CC, no captain had.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Hick was so exposed that in the years 1993-5 he played 30 Tests and averaged 46.61 (against the likes of India in India, Australia at home and both the Windies and the South Africans home AND away)

So how come that lot never exposed these flaws?
Who knows? I never saw much of that cricket, and I certainly didn't have the in-depth analytical powers I now posess.
However, before AND after, that flaw was exposed. It doesn't really make sense, but some things don't.
So are you seriously saying you think Hick is a Test-class batsman?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
So are you seriously saying you think Hick is a Test-class batsman?
If you're going to persist to say Ramprakash is good by snipping large chunks out of his career then hand-picking other games since they don't suit you, then I reserve the right to do it with Hick.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And playing 5 seamers all of a very similar pace and all right arm wasn't?
Yeah, all similar pace:
Bicknell and Kirtley, late 70s at best; medium-fast bordering on medium.
Kabir Ali, early 80s; just about fast-medium.
Anderson, just a fraction quicker than Kabir Ali.
Flintoff, very definately fast on that first-day.
Sure, they're all similar pace, not that it especially matters.
There was no such trouble 3 years ago, when 3 seamers, 2 of similar pace (Gough and White fast, Caddick and Cork fast-medium), bowled stunningly in both innings.
Last year the problem was not similarity but loss of penetration. Bicknell and Kirtley both proved deadly with the new-ball and useless with the older one; Kabir Ali bowled two or three fantastic deliveries but he's never been the most consistently accurate you'll see; Flintoff we all know how useless he is; and Anderson bowled as poorly as he did for most of the summer.
So, no, playing 5 seamers if they were all good bowlers wasn't a bad idea at all. Indeed, South Africa did it and one was injured and one bowled complete rubbish all game, and they still won very, very comfortably.