• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Stefan9

International Debutant
The number of people watching the games was not effected by creating a franchise system.. this is more to do with marketing and success of the franchise. I am not advocating that we should go back to the provincial system, we are just talking about increasing the number of franchises.
Why have more franchise instead of a 2 division relegation/promotion system like in england?

Marius

International Debutant
So what was the point of the 6 franchises?
It was to have strength-v-strength, which worked.

That's why we were the best team in the world for a while.

Now the strength in the franchise system is reduced because the best players in the country aren't necessarily playing against each other.

robbypark

U19 Debutant
lol the beatdown has already begun. Another 350+ score coming up for England.

Hilarious how bad this South African bowling attack is...

Marius

International Debutant
I am not a big fan of this happening at franchise level, and I think the idea of including 2 more teams might be good, which would allow a greater number talented players to play. But I do want to point out that there is still discrimination happening at club level that is keeping many talented black players out, I have seen it in Rugby and Cricket and it is very difficult for the CSA to effect club level change; the current changes put franchises/provincial domestic structures under pressure which have a greater chance of changing club level cricket, mentality. I still think government and CSA need to do more at grass root level, though.
What has been your experience?

I am not that involved at my club (I've been busy with studies and life, and only play the occasional game) but I can't say it's something I've seen.

But as a white middle-class guy, it's something I may not be as aware of as others.

Last edited:

Stace

First Class Debutant
Bloody idiot!!! Again he looked good and finds a way to get out. Lets just open with Ali and Hales and bring in Billings .

Groundking

International Debutant
Bloody idiot!!! Again he looked good and finds a way to get out. Lets just open with Ali and Hales and bring in Billings .
Nah, Roy's currently averaging more than more at a better strike rate than Hales. I see no need to change it just yet.

Compton

International Debutant
Yeah there's no need to drop him, just tell him that was a stupid *** dismissal.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
And so changing to 8 sides will solve the problem ?
You'll have a bigger player pool, and an 8-team franchise will at least be stronger than the 3-day semi-pro competition.

Not sure what the problem is, but telling teams they have to pick players based on race and ethnicity is not it.

Compton

International Debutant
He may have gotten away with it, but there's no way at this stage of the innings Hales should be taking on ABDV's arm there.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Nah, Roy's currently averaging more than more at a better strike rate than Hales. I see no need to change it just yet.
The side needs another dynamic lower order bat to me, Hales and Ali would be just as good as Roy and Hales but having Billings in gives us a chance to have Buttler more flexible in the order and still have someone who can score 360° at the end of an innings.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Marius

Ok then. As things are now I don't see any reason to believe that things will improve anytime soon.

Marius

International Debutant
Marius

Ok then. As things are now I don't see any reason to believe that things will improve anytime soon.
As in?

For the record I'm in favour of transformation.

I just don't think it's healthy to have to pick a team based on skin colour rather than cricketing ability.

Which is exactly what happens when you have these strict quotas at franchise level.

Groundking

International Debutant
As in?

For the record I'm in favour of transformation.

I just don't think it's healthy to have to pick a team based on skin colour rather than cricketing ability.

Which is exactly what happens when you have these strict quotas at franchise level.
I think the solution is to have 2 new teams and get rid of all quotas, then theoretically the best players will get to play, and teams that don't pick on merit but on racism will suffer negatively compared to those that do.