• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
wpdavid said:
Not to mention hugely unintelligent and self-indulgent. If he'd had the nous to see off the new ball - and Shoaib was never going to bowl for long - then we would have had a real chance to put some pressure on the Pakistanis. Can't see it now.
Pieterson was bound to be dismissed in that manner. He played some flawed shots off bouncers of Akhtar in th first hour as well which could have easily got him out. Really immature.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Shahid_Afridi_6 said:
They were far from great knocks.
Despite the chance the inning of Bell was quite good. And you should be moaning Akmal's miss rather than Bell making the most of the opportunity.

PY

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
:-O 13 innings? I thought it might have been 13 Tests!
Strauss managed it in 19 innings (one of which was 0*)!

Doing it in 12 innings is insane though!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Have to say Pietersen's lucky this place was down when he got out.

The number of bread-related posts would've been high I wager.

What a prize idiot.
Of course his dismissal was stupid, but it was a very important hundred, and, while he started badly, a good innings thereafter. Of course he probably should have gone on further, but a hundred is better than nothing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Pieterson was bound to be dismissed in that manner. He played some flawed shots off bouncers of Akhtar in th first hour as well which could have easily got him out. Really immature.
For the most part, it was an exceptionally mature, restrained (and lucky) knock, but his eyes definitely lit up when Shoaib came on for that second spell.

My guess is that Pietersen just viewed it as another challenge, and having taken apart the world's second-fastest bowler at The Oval, he thought 'why not?' and had a dart at Shoaib.

Immature? Probably. Flawed? Definitely. Entertaining? OH YES.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ClownSymonds said:
Besides being let off numerous times, he was beaten continuously and could have edged any one of a large number of balls but was very lucky (as usual) not to.
Bradman was beaten all the time. He used to let them beat the bat, 'cause it meant the bowler would be on for longer.

Bell = Bradman?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Bradman was beaten all the time. He used to let them beat the bat, 'cause it meant the bowler would be on for longer.

Bell = Bradman?
For anyone who hadn't already seen the similarities........ :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
For the most part, it was an exceptionally mature, restrained (and lucky) knock, but his eyes definitely lit up when Shoaib came on for that second spell.

My guess is that Pietersen just viewed it as another challenge, and having taken apart the world's second-fastest bowler at The Oval, he thought 'why not?' and had a dart at Shoaib.

Immature? Probably. Flawed? Definitely. Entertaining? OH YES.
The entertainment would little had Pieterson popped one of those mistimed shots off Akhtar to a fielder in the first hour itself. England would be in serious trouble then. And in the second spell of Akhtar he did not seem to learn from the some shots of the first hour leading to a dismissal.

With Kaneria not making an impact after being warned the second time and most of the Pakistani bowling lacking teeth, Pieterson could have gone on to make a much bigger contribution. I am not suggesting him to change his game too much. Just a bit more wisdom which can come eventually.

He played well and maybe with a bit more experience he will be a a far wiser player. A talent no doubt.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hazza said:
No,

Bell > Bradman ;)
I didn't want to say it, but that's the tr00f.

Also worth noting that Bell = the new Simon Jones and Simon Jones = the *** appeal of reverse swing. Therefore Bell is a the biggest *** symbol in world sport.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I still chuckle about the fact that he was in such complete denial about the whole thing, and still claimed only two England players (Strauss and Flintoff I think) would have made a combined Ashes XI. Ignoring the fact that KP was top run-scorer. Those were the days. :D
Well, dont want to be defending SW but if you were given a choice to select a combined Ashes XI which aussies you would have taken in the your English team ?? I personally would not have taken more than two aussies 1. Mcgrath for Hoggard/Harmy, 2. Warne for Giles (considering that Vaughan would edge Ponting out as captain).

PY

International Coach
I think you and Barney are saying the same thing?

SW only picked two members of the England side when he picked his Ashes side which people found slightly bizarre considering the result. :)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
Well, dont want to be defending SW but if you were given a choice to select a combined Ashes XI which aussies you would have taken in the your English team ?? I personally would not have taken more than two aussies 1. Mcgrath for Hoggard/Harmy, 2. Warne for Giles (considering that Vaughan would edge Ponting out as captain).
Martyn for Bell and Langer for Strauss? :p

I think Shane was arguing that he could only fit two Poms in his combined team, which is clearly silly.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
The entertainment would little had Pieterson popped one of those mistimed shots off Akhtar to a fielder in the first hour itself. England would be in serious trouble then. And in the second spell of Akhtar he did not seem to learn from the some shots of the first hour leading to a dismissal.

With Kaneria not making an impact after being warned the second time and most of the Pakistani bowling lacking teeth, Pieterson could have gone on to make a much bigger contribution. I am not suggesting him to change his game too much. Just a bit more wisdom which can come eventually.

He played well and maybe with a bit more experience he will be a a far wiser player. A talent no doubt.
I'm not denying anything you say - it's possible that Pietersen won't change overnight or even at all (it took Flintoff about 4 years, and even now we get 'flashbacks').

One thing though - I'd rather have a flawed genius than no genius at all - and I daresay Pakistan would say the same about Shahid Afridi (not that either display any attributes that come close to genius of course, but you know what I mean).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
One thing though - I'd rather have a flawed genius than no genius at all - and I daresay Pakistan would say the same about Shahid Afridi (not that either display any attributes that come close to genius of course, but you know what I mean).
Yes I am completely with you which is why I dont think he should and wont make too many changes to the way he bats.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Martyn for Bell and Langer for Strauss? :p

I think Shane was arguing that he could only fit two Poms in his combined team, which is clearly silly.
Well that's comparing them one on one. My post was more from the team perspective. for example..Out of the openers Langer/Hayden or Tresco/Strauss I prefer the later. You are right about Martyn though..although he needs to get back into the team first and Bell needs to fail in Pak/India. ;)

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
New ICC rules needed to ban chicken dancing. Use technology to stamp out this hideous practice claims ermmm Botham. ;)