• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Flem274*

123/5
First, we didn't lose that SL series, it was drawn.

If someone can be bothered, can they please drag up our record from the past ten years because according to the goldfish we haven't won against a serious test side (I take that to mean no WI, Bang or Zim) in ten years.

I seem to recall a victory in England in 1999 for a start..:ph34r:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
First, we didn't lose that SL series, it was drawn.

If someone can be bothered, can they please drag up our record from the past ten years because according to the goldfish we haven't won against a serious test side (I take that to mean no WI, Bang or Zim) in ten years.

I seem to recall a victory in England in 1999 for a start..:ph34r:
No. Sorry I really can't remember us having a victory in a test series (read above) stemming 10 years.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Sigh.

Since 1st of Jan, 1998:

Zimbabwe in New Zealand Test Series 1997/98 New Zealand 2-0 (2)
New Zealand in Sri Lanka Test Series 1998 Sri Lanka 2-1 (3)
India in New Zealand Test Series 1998/99 New Zealand 1-0 (2)
South Africa in New Zealand Test Series 1998/99 South Africa 1-0 (3)
New Zealand in England Test Series 1999 New Zealand 2-1 (4)
New Zealand in India Test Series 1999/00 India 1-0 (3)
West Indies in New Zealand Test Series 1999/00 New Zealand 2-0 (2)
Trans-Tasman Trophy (Australia in New Zealand) 1999/00 Australia 3-0 (3)
New Zealand in Zimbabwe Test Series 2000/01 New Zealand 2-0 (2)
New Zealand in South Africa Test Series 2000/01 South Africa 2-0 (3)
Zimbabwe in New Zealand Test Match 2000/01 drawn 0-0 (1)
Pakistan in New Zealand Test Series 2000/01 drawn 1-1 (3)
Trans-Tasman Trophy (New Zealand in Australia) 2001/02 drawn 0-0 (3)
Bangladesh in New Zealand Test Series 2001/02 New Zealand 2-0 (2)
England in New Zealand Test Series 2001/02 drawn 1-1 (3)
New Zealand in Pakistan Test Series 2002 Pakistan 1-0 (1)
New Zealand in West Indies Test Series 2002 New Zealand 1-0 (2)
India in New Zealand Test Series 2002/03 New Zealand 2-0 (2)
New Zealand in Sri Lanka Test Series 2003 drawn 0-0 (2)
New Zealand in India Test Series 2003/04 drawn 0-0 (2)
Pakistan in New Zealand Test Series 2003/04 Pakistan 1-0 (2)
South Africa in New Zealand Test Series 2003/04 drawn 1-1 (3)
New Zealand in England Test Series 2004 England 3-0 (3)
New Zealand in Bangladesh Test Series 2004/05 New Zealand 2-0 (2)
Trans-Tasman Trophy (New Zealand in Australia) 2004/05 Australia 2-0 (2)
Trans-Tasman Trophy (Australia in New Zealand) 2004/05 Australia 2-0 (3)
Sri Lanka in New Zealand Test Series 2004/05 New Zealand 1-0 (2)
New Zealand in Zimbabwe Test Series 2005/06 New Zealand 2-0 (2)
West Indies in New Zealand Test Series 2005/06 New Zealand 2-0 (3)

New Zealand in South Africa Test Series 2005/06 South Africa 2-0 (3)
Sri Lanka in New Zealand Test Series 2006/07 drawn 1-1 (2)
New Zealand in South Africa Test Series 2007/08 South Africa 2-0 (2)
Bangladesh in New Zealand Test Series 2007/08 New Zealand 2-0 (2)
England in New Zealand Test Series 2007/08 England 2-1 (3)

Won: 13
Lost: 12
Drawn: 7

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Cheers aussie. :happy:

I'm not a Kiwi either btw... well a migrant as well shall we say. Although been here since 93... as part of the Asian migration during the early 90s.

99*

International Debutant
Wow this thread changed quick.:laugh:

I'm actually surprised at those test series results, having a quick look only four of those won are not against Zim, WI or Ban.:-O Maybe we are minnow bashers?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The emergence of Southee is why I raised the question. Southee only played in the 3rd test because Mills is unfit. When Mills is fit Southee is out the door.

The real question is, Vettori or Southee?

We can have a potent swing attack with Vettori not figuring in the side...

Martin, Mills, Southee, Franklin (when fit) - batting-wise Franklin has a test century and is a more accomplished batsman than Vettori.
OR
Martin Mills Southee Gillespie/Mason - Gillespie provides the low trajectory quick... Mason is just one of those consistent bowlers like Martin.
OR
Martin Mills Southee Vettori - it means they stop obssessing over Patel or having 2 spinners in the side, which is ridiculous when we got found out in the 3rd test with Elliot our first change seamer.
Never really rated Chris Martin much TBH, and if Mark Gillespie could get his act together I'd much prefer him in the side to Martin.

Gillespie vs Vettori would be vaguely interesting, but Martin vs Vettori is a no-brainer for my money.

Also, I don't want to see anyone getting carried-away with Southee yet. Terrific debut and might well be ready for Test cricket earlier than most - but he's still only 19, that's 3 years younger than me FFS. Hardly anyone will be able to play Test cricket untroubled at that age, unless you're Sachin Tendulkar. I hope it'll be a couple of years or so before he's playing regularly.

Flem274*

123/5
Wow this thread changed quick.:laugh:

I'm actually surprised at those test series results, having a quick look only four of those won are not against Zim, WI or Ban.:-O Maybe we are minnow bashers?
Yeah, spose everyone is though really:laugh:

IMO we're just above the WI and just below England. I'd say we're on about par with SL.

Hmm we've focussed alot on our woes but who else around the world is about to have a few mass player exits?

SL Come to mind, same with India.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Might need to transition that whole "thread migration" better. We're supposed to start posting in the other thread....

Instead I became the target of a few Flems and Sinclairs (1) while spouting out nonsense myself when flustered by all the barrage of attacks. 10 years of not winning tests is a dumb comment to make. :laugh:

Interesting, minnow bashers.

Flem274*

123/5
Never really rated Chris Martin much TBH, and if Mark Gillespie could get his act together I'd much prefer him in the side to Martin.

Gillespie vs Vettori would be vaguely interesting, but Martin vs Vettori is a no-brainer for my money.

Also, I don't want to see anyone getting carried-away with Southee yet. Terrific debut and might well be ready for Test cricket earlier than most - but he's still only 19, that's 3 years younger than me FFS. Hardly anyone will be able to play Test cricket untroubled at that age, unless you're Sachin Tendulkar. I hope it'll be a couple of years or so before he's playing regularly.
First class record right?:happy: