• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Good start for Watling and Anderson against the new ball this morning. Anderson thrashing some boundaries (and a couple of edges), while for Watling, just staying in against the new ball is an achievement at the moment.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Heh, Onions taken for 22 off his last over and now has 0/100. In that brief guardian highlights clip I didn't think he looked particularly fluent in his approach to crease, and has his action changed a little since a year or two ago? Though perhaps it's just the camera angle.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Heh, Onions taken for 22 off his last over and now has 0/100.
Well, that's gotta bring tears to your eyes (that joke has probably never been done before).

Good to see Anderson in the runs and, particularly, Watling. I am really starting to like Watling as a cricketer. I think he's made of the right stuff.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think so too. I think he and Brownlie are mature batsmen with enough ability that they will fairly consistently accumulate runs down the order for NZ, on the occasions when they're not in at 50/4 after 20 overs (perhaps may struggle on spinning wickets too). Don't think they'll throw their wickets away too often.

If they can do this, it'll be great for NZ. We need a few batsmen that are perhaps not as talented as Taylor, Williamson (and perhaps McCullum) but have a method that works, a calm head and can regularly contribute. As I've written before, I think the last test batsman of this type that we've had was Styris. We need these sorts of batsmen.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Anderson having a bit of fun with the bat. If his back injury is serious, it might be time to shelve his bowling completely, and just focus on making runs.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Good to see Anderson having a bit of fun with the bat. If his back injury is serious, it might be time to shelve his bowling completely, and just focus on making runs.
It is a side strain, rather than back.
Comma said this is a "new" injury, not something he's injured before.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Oh wait, blackcaps scorecard showed McCone opening the bowling but it's now changed to Wagner. I assumed McCone had been allowed to be subbed in since Patel is sick and Anderson cannot bowl, but perhaps not - proper FC match then.

Just hearing the radio comms say players said Neesham and Broad were the quickest bowlers on the park so far. Surprising tstl. Must be that special ball that's a couple of ounces heavier that Neesham pulls out of his pocket whenever he comes on to bowl. Also surely an indictment on Gillespie, Wagner and Onions' bowling in this match.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Feel a bit sorry for Onions. Spend the whole winter touring but on the sidelines must be pretty depressing. Especially when your on the wrong side of 30. Just need Broad to breakdown now and Woakes to come into the test team to really finish Onions off. Not that England should be particularly blamed for mismanaging him.

Wright

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Oh wait, blackcaps scorecard showed McCone opening the bowling but it's now changed to Wagner. I assumed McCone had been allowed to be subbed in since Patel is sick and Anderson cannot bowl, but perhaps not - proper FC match then.

Just hearing the radio comms say players said Neesham and Broad were the quickest bowlers on the park so far. Surprising tstl. Must be that special ball that's a couple of ounces heavier that Neesham pulls out of his pocket whenever he comes on to bowl. Also surely an indictment on Gillespie, Wagner and Onions' bowling in this match.
If it is a proper FC match what would the benefit be to declare, wouldn't you want to keep the English in the field as long as possible, especially if you have a weakened bowling attack?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose Latham probably thought it would be an aggressive move to declare behind and give our bowlers a few overs before lunch. There've been a few declarations like that in Plunket Shield this year.

Don't think NZ would be foolish enough to do that if we were in this position in a test match v England though.

Wright

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I suppose Latham probably thought it would be an aggressive move to declare behind and give our bowlers a few overs before lunch. There've been a few declarations like that in Plunket Shield this year.

Don't think NZ would be foolish enough to do that if we were in this position in a test match v England though.
Fair enough I guess, supposed to be a bit of rain around tomorrow anyway.
But it would have been nice to see how Watling bats with the tail against some decent bowling and perhaps one of their key players may have got injured.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Agree and it's probably the right decision from the very limited resources available, with the aim that B Martin will achieve his non-wicket-taking at a reasonably low econ rate.

Edit: Though I see Martin was talking in the media and describing himself as an attacking spinner that will look to 'take poles'. Not sure that's going to work against quality international batsmen when he's struggled to take wickets against domestic NZ batsmen.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Agree and it's probably the right decision from the very limited resources available, with the aim that B Martin will achieve his non-wicket-taking at a reasonably low econ rate.

Edit: Though I see Martin was talking in the media and describing himself as an attacking spinner that will look to 'take poles'. Not sure that's going to work against quality international batsmen when he's struggled to take wickets against domestic NZ batsmen.
It might against KP.

Gillespie grabs Compton early.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So as the most important home-and-away series that England play against an Antipodean side this year, I feel that this series deserves a title. Any suggestions?

I have a few:
- The Gashes
- The Smashes
- The Bashes
- The Crashes

Thoughts? (most of the above are in celebration of how NZ are going to play)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
How about a name that celebrates the era when NZ first became truly competitive against England - The Moustashes.

The trophy could be an urn filled with some trimmings from Sir Richard and Sir Ian (although sadly the later is no longer sporting a tache these days, so that complicates things).

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
If anything they declared to late, being a gentlemen sport and being a warm up game.. We want to see our top order bat 2 sessions again also.