• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's just the same boring stereotype used against every successful Asian spinner ..

Notoriously turning track at Sydney ?
India scored 600+ declared in that game.
India would have won had it not been for the rain delays, bowling Australia out for around 300 and asking them to follow on,
That was an incredible bowling performance from Kuldeep Yadav.

The pitches were very good for batting in this series , Jaiswal slammed 700 runs and he's a rookie opener .. every debutant bar Patidar cashed in.
England were extremely confident of their chances before Kuldeep turned up and outbowled every English bowler comprehensively.

When Matt Henry dishes out great performances in NZ no Kiwi fan points out that he averages 40 + away from home even in traditionally seamer friendly countries, instead they say he's world class so why move the goalposts for Kuldeep?
The subcontinent matters just like any part of the world
It's not the same boring stereotype. You're making this some sort of Indian agenda, and it isn't. It's a horses for courses caveat. It's worlds apart from any slight, let's say, against Ravi Ashwin - who has 500 Test wickets all round the world. What I'm saying is that it's not mindblowing when a guy averages 21 but has played very little cricket outside the subcontinent. Of course the sub-continent matters. But why do teams never, and I mean never, win there? Because it's different. A difference that allows certain types of bowlers to thrive, which is what I'm saying (and I don't include Ashwin in that).

It's not mind-blowing, for example, that Axar Patel averages 19. If it were, why isn't he picked to play anywhere else? Why has he just been dropped, in home conditions? Clearly there is a different set of judgements to be made over the 2nd spinner for India, who plays in the right sort of conditions, or doesn't play at all.

Kuldeep is a very good bowler, England play spin incredibly poorly, he took 19 wickets at 20s, which is great - but as I said, it isn't mind-blowing, in favourable home conditions. Not sure why you'd think it's relevant to compare him to two debutants in Hartley and Bashir, who are pretty average. Nor why it'd be relevant how many runs a debutant scored against that attack.

You can read through the NZ-Australia thread, where a lot of us pointed out that Henry averages 80 when he bowls first change, and averaged over 40 for the first few years of his career. A poster (think it was Moss) said that for all Henry's greatness at home, he's yet to prove himself in Asia. So that's not a good example.

Socerer 01

International Captain
It's not mind-blowing, for example, that Axar Patel averages 19. If it were, why isn't he picked to play anywhere else? Why has he just been dropped, in home conditions? Clearly there is a different set of judgements to be made over the 2nd spinner for India, who plays in the right sort of conditions, or doesn't play at all.
because there are 2 other spinners in the team who bowl better for overseas tours and because Kuldeep has been in better form

Dravid and Rohit dont really do the whole matchups or pick players and teams based on smaller conditions thing that you’re insinuating. if they did Iyer would have never been on the plane to South Africa in the 1st place

Spark

Global Moderator
because there are 2 other spinners in the team who bowl better for overseas tours and because Kuldeep has been in better form

Dravid and Rohit dont really do the whole matchups or pick players and teams based on smaller conditions thing that you’re insinuating. if they did Iyer would have never been on the plane to South Africa in the 1st place
I do think Axar is kind of average tbh and if there is one bowler who the dustbowl bully tag can apply to it would be him. Ashwin and Jadeja are more than worth their spot in places like Aus but Axar would be absolutely demolished. All theoretical ofc

Socerer 01

International Captain
I do think Axar is kind of average tbh and if there is one bowler who the dustbowl bully tag can apply to it would be him. Ashwin and Jadeja are more than worth their spot in places like Aus but Axar would be absolutely demolished. All theoretical ofc
i dont disagree about him being not in the same class as the others except for him being absolutely demolished but the reason why Axar wasnt playing abroad was because Ashwin and Jadeja exist rather than him purposefully being left out, in the absence of those 2 we would have been playing him on overseas tours in the time he was a 1st teamer

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
It's not the same boring stereotype. You're making this some sort of Indian agenda, and it isn't. It's a horses for courses caveat. It's worlds apart from any slight, let's say, against Ravi Ashwin - who has 500 Test wickets all round the world. What I'm saying is that it's not mindblowing when a guy averages 21 but has played very little cricket outside the subcontinent. Of course the sub-continent matters. But why do teams never, and I mean never, win there? Because it's different. A difference that allows certain types of bowlers to thrive, which is what I'm saying (and I don't include Ashwin in that).

Kuldeep is a very good bowler, England play spin incredibly poorly, he took 19 wickets at 20s, which is great - but as I said, it isn't mind-blowing, in favourable home conditions. Not sure why you'd think it's relevant to compare him to two debutants in Hartley and Bashir, who are pretty average. Nor why it'd be relevant how many runs a debutant scored against that attack.

You can read through the NZ-Australia thread, where a lot of us pointed out that Henry averages 80 when he bowls first change, and averaged over 40 for the first few years of his career. A poster (think it was Moss) said that for all Henry's greatness at home, he's yet to prove himself in Asia. So that's not a good example.
I think any credibility your initial statement had went down the drain when you mentioned Sydney, and implied that Kuldeep only got 5 wickets there cause it was notorious for taking spin , failing to to realize that in that particular test match the pitch was an absolute road , that is the danger when you generalise.

Last edited:

Hungry Llama

Cricket Spectator
Given how ****e they were against India, are Stokes Wood Bairstow Root etc [& Brook who departed]
all still down to play [or sit on the sidelines] in the IPL for the usual shedloads of cash? Is value for
money an alien concept in that carnival?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not mind-blowing, for example, that Axar Patel averages 19.
Yeah he bowled on some really spin friendly wickets. Kuldeep has bowled on a mixed bag and often outbowled many other good spinners in the same game.

If your point is he’s suffering from the MacGill effect that he tends to play on wickets more conducive to spin, on average you’re right. He does. They’re rarely hilariously good for spin though, mostly just normal wickets. It’s still pretty impressive figures on those and it’s not like he’s failed on the occasional flattie either.

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
Test cricket calander is shortened by ipl. Mostly those ipl stellar participants are not a part of test team anyhow. So those days of ipl seasons should not come in the way of fielding a test team for a bilateral 4 or 5 match series. Thats a month each year and lets say in 5 years we have 20 more tests played, we would continue to establish our superiority in world of cricket considering we are not icc title winners and only take pride in being the best test playing nation currently for dozen odd years straight.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Given how ****e they were against India, are Stokes Wood Bairstow Root etc [& Brook who departed]
all still down to play [or sit on the sidelines] in the IPL for the usual shedloads of cash? Is value for
money an alien concept in that carnival?
Bairstow and Brook are. ECB pulled Wood out(Shamhar Joseph I think was the replacement) and Stokes/Root chose not to play.

Owzat

U19 Captain
Test cricket calander is shortened by ipl. Mostly those ipl stellar participants are not a part of test team anyhow. So those days of ipl seasons should not come in the way of fielding a test team for a bilateral 4 or 5 match series. Thats a month each year and lets say in 5 years we have 20 more tests played, we would continue to establish our superiority in world of cricket considering we are not icc title winners and only take pride in being the best test playing nation currently for dozen odd years straight.
I do question if cricket hasn't moved enough with the times to bracket players into two categories - short(er) format, long format

it isn't healthy despite talent to play too many formats, Root and possibly Stokes do, but essentially the point is if you pick the best at the formats being played at the same time, and make allowance for minor gains ie Root may be good enough for T20s but is he head and shoulders above all else?, then should be able to play Tests at same time as other competitions whether hype PL (aka IPL, pronounce hype right and near same phonetically) or Tests and T20is

of course the issue may be more s*y and those others broadcasting, wouldn't want to put two broadcastable cash cows on at same time

Owzat

U19 Captain
Bairstow and Brook are. ECB pulled Wood out(Shamhar Joseph I think was the replacement) and Stokes/Root chose not to play.
in spite of hype over England players auction in IPL any time I've paid much attention the teams haven't been overly keen on England players

that may have shifted somewhat in more recent years, but not sure they "need" England players over other nationality counterparts

mackembhoy

International Debutant
in spite of hype over England players auction in IPL any time I've paid much attention the teams haven't been overly keen on England players

that may have shifted somewhat in more recent years, but not sure they "need" England players over other nationality counterparts
I think that's down to the coaching which is mainly made up of Aus/SA/NZ coaches picking players they know better.

Definitely been worse players from those nations getting IPL gigs while English players ignored.

However in defence the English season overlaps the IPL so can understand some reluctance in splurging the cash when their availability hasn't always been guranteed.

_00_deathscar

International Regular

Kind of wish we’d never brought him on the plane back to India