• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Looking forward to this series. I remember following a series in the early 70s and maintained an interest in India v England tests in the subcon ever since. Some quality cricket to look forward to later this and early next year.
Not sure you watched the last two series then.

England were hideous in 7/9 of the tests.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is probably the most anticipated test for this England team...the number 1 test team in the world...in transition against the best(?) team in the last 12 months...
I think the closer you push the timeline, the farther this Indian team is from being the best side. But I guess you can call them the best side in the past 5 years or so, simply because they have been less bad than the rest, lol.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
In the recent Aus series in India they played
Cummins + 3 spinners. Do England have 3 spinners, or even 2 + Root?

Seems England missed a trick by bringing Moeen Ali back from 2 year retirement instead of blooding a young spinner for the future

Socerer 01

International Captain

Seems England missed a trick by bringing Moeen Ali back from 2 year retirement instead of blooding a young spinner for the future
they should start doing that at county level instead of throwing them into the fire straightaway

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
they should start doing that at county level instead of throwing them into the fire straightaway
That would require not preparing seaming tracks, like the ones we are seeing in the current CC matches even after a notable hot spell. Cut the grass and let it dry out FFS.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Granted I wasn’t here for half of it, but been one of the most miserable Julys I can remember

Molehill

International Captain

Cummins only played 2 Tests, also Boland played the first with him. It kind of depends on what wickets you get. One of those (the one Australia won) was a spin lottery, whilst the final pitch was a road.

In the Pakistan series, Jacks took a 6fer and Ahmed a 5 (7 in the match). Leach picked up 15 wickets but they cost him 44 each. The surprise was how effective the seamers were there - Anderson, Wood and Robinson all picked up wickets at under 21. The balance of the team may also be decided on whether Stokes sorts his knee out over the next 6 months.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Early punt at the squad.

From the 14 selected for the 5th Ashes Test, obviously you remove Broad and Ali.

Will need another keeper, Foakes?

Pope and Leach will be fit again hopefully. Ahmed is effectively the second spinner to be called upon based on the squad selections this summer.

However, is 6 seamers too many for a tour of India? Does all of Woakes, Tongue, Wood, Robinson or Anderson get the trip? Hopefully Stokes will be bowling again following the planned surgery to his knee. Gut feeling says Anderson may miss out, but I've been wrong about that before.

Any left-field selections? Say, SCurran, Livingstone or even Jennings?

I appreciate there's a lot of limited over cricket to be played before then so injuries and form could always play a part.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Early punt at the squad.

From the 14 selected for the 5th Ashes Test, obviously you remove Broad and Ali.

Will need another keeper, Foakes?

Pope and Leach will be fit again hopefully. Ahmed is effectively the second spinner to be called upon based on the squad selections this summer.

However, is 6 seamers too many for a tour of India? Does all of Woakes, Tongue, Wood, Robinson or Anderson get the trip? Hopefully Stokes will be bowling again following the planned surgery to his knee. Gut feeling says Anderson may miss out, but I've been wrong about that before.

Any left-field selections? Say, SCurran, Livingstone or even Jennings?

I appreciate there's a lot of limited over cricket to be played before then so injuries and form could always play a part.
Dawson will be a good like for like of Ali and the third spinner in squad after Leach and Rehan.

Foakes should be in there. Livingstone can be a good addition too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hopefully Stokes can bowl.

No point Woakes going.

here’s my stab at the squad

Crawley, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brook, Stokes, Lawrence, Bairstow, Foakes, Ahmed, Leach, Jacks, Anderson, Wood, Robinson, Tongue. Probably need another bowler

Shri

Mr. Glass
Hopefully Stokes can bowl.

No point Woakes going.

here’s my stab at the squad

Crawley, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brook, Stokes, Lawrence, Bairstow, Foakes, Ahmed, Leach, Jacks, Anderson, Wood, Robinson, Tongue. Probably need another bowler
no potts? bet eng will ask livingstone to give it some thought as well in a role similar to moeen's