• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England and England A vs Pakistan & Pakistan A in the UAE

The_roc

U19 Captain
Why is it that a player like Morgan can come into the team and look at home from day 1, whereas other equally talented players (Bopara, Denley) don't look anywhere near as comfortable.

Is it what's between the ears, or more complicated than that?

King Pietersen

International Captain
Denly is abysmal. Get him out of the side ASAP. Trott not looking much better either, doesn't look like hitting boundaries.

Woodster

International Captain
Think its clear the game plan is for the batsmen to use a little time at the start of their innings to get themselves set and used to the pitch. Personally I expected them to bat like this, it was how KP and Morgan were so effective yesterday.

Poor shot from Denly, as was the previous ball when he could so easily have been bowled. Although I do believe it is far too early to judge him as useless.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
My interpretation of Denly's shots is that he had his head up there to watch his England career disappearing out of the stadium. Two of the worst strokes I've seen by an England opener - the second, coming straight after the first, was reprehensible, and the bat path (all pointing towards mid on) is quite fearsomely ugly. How can he hit the ball straight except by accident?

In other news, Pakistan may have replaced Kamran with someone worse. For the record, when the ball goes down the leg side, you're meant to move so that you can stop it. That's not even U10 standard.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Think its clear the game plan is for the batsmen to use a little time at the start of their innings to get themselves set and used to the pitch. Personally I expected them to bat like this, it was how KP and Morgan were so effective yesterday.
But yesterday they had Shoaib Malik was the 5th bowler, so there was a bowler we could attack for a few runs in the middle overs. Today they've got Afridi in, who's going to be hard to score off. If Trott continues to scratch around and continue with a strike rate of around 50, then we're not going to get anymore than 120, which I don't think is enough. I still believe this is a 145-150 track. Luckily KP looks in good form and is starting to take on the bowlers.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Poor first six overs. Should only get tougher for England now with the spinners coming into play. Trott eating up balls and farming the strike.

Woodster

International Captain
But yesterday they had Shoaib Malik was the 5th bowler, so there was a bowler we could attack for a few runs in the middle overs. Today they've got Afridi in, who's going to be hard to score off. If Trott continues to scratch around and continue with a strike rate of around 50, then we're not going to get anymore than 120, which I don't think is enough. I still believe this is a 145-150 track. Luckily KP looks in good form and is starting to take on the bowlers.
Yes but pointless in giving your wicket away by going after it too soon. This pitch does not seem conducive to going at the ball, especially if you are not in tune with the pitch. KP as we know is quality, and having batted for a good length of time yesterday will be more use to the track.

Afridi may well be hard to score off, however you would generally think the same of Gul. If Afridi comes on to bowl at two set batsmen, we have a better chance of reaching 140 than if we are five wickets down due to over-aggression.

Woodster

International Captain
My interpretation of Denly's shots is that he had his head up there to watch his England career disappearing out of the stadium. Two of the worst strokes I've seen by an England opener - the second, coming straight after the first, was reprehensible, and the bat path (all pointing towards mid on) is quite fearsomely ugly. How can he hit the ball straight except by accident?
Yes a shot of a man that is out of form. He's lost his shape during the stroke and as a result it is an ugly swipe across the line. When in form Denly hits beautifully down the ground.