• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Official" England A vs New Zealand A in New Zealand

Flem274*

123/5
I only bag him when his bowling is being talked about, or in this case see paragraph below. The guy is just mediocre and only ever gets talked about because he is quick. I don't just limit it to McClennaghan and Davis, I have a thing for quicks who are absolutely atrocious but are somehow more talented because they can bowl half volleys quick. (So don't start me on Sami).

And with my comment in this thread, the NZ A bowlers should not be letting England A score 400 odd when a much lesser bowling attack mauled them the other week. That imo, is simple logic.
Urgh, hi Richard/Phlegm hybrid.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Just like to add that regardless of your thoughts on Mathew Sinclair and Ewan Thompson, for them to be left out of that NZ A team playing England A at the moment is an absolute joke. They're top of the batting and bowling charts in the MVP for the State Championship and neither get selected. Likewise feel sorry for Cumming and Hopkins/McGlashan. Both a step above Reece Young. Where's Chris Martin?

That "A" team is seriously an absolute joke IMO and it's no wonder they're getting torn apart.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
And with my comment in this thread, the NZ A bowlers should not be letting England A score 400 odd when a much lesser bowling attack mauled them the other week. That imo, is simple logic.
A couple of things, We don't know what this pitch is like and the previous games were Warm-ups....as said previously England sides are usually terrible in warm-ups...usually they fair better when the real stuff starts (though not as of late)

Woodster

International Captain
Just to offer am England perspective, really glad that Key has got some runs under his belt. Trott and Patel are always hovering around whenever there is talk of next possible England Test players, so it's good to see those guys cashing in.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Just like to add that regardless of your thoughts on Mathew Sinclair and Ewan Thompson, for them to be left out of that NZ A team playing England A at the moment is an absolute joke. They're top of the batting and bowling charts in the MVP for the State Championship and neither get selected. Likewise feel sorry for Cumming and Hopkins/McGlashan. Both a step above Reece Young. Where's Chris Martin?

That "A" team is seriously an absolute joke IMO and it's no wonder they're getting torn apart.
For some reason the NZ A team changes markedly in the next game, as mentioned in this thread a few pages back. Martin and Thompson are in, though Sinclair, Hopkins and Cumming are not. Can't say I really disagree with this to be honest.

Meanwhile, the NZ A score of 120/1 seems to be proving that this is a very flat wicket.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The biggest joke is playing Luke Woodcock as the primary spinner!..wasn't Bruce Martin in the squad for this match? He's about as good with the bat as Woodcock is anyway.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
What's the score? Ain't getting updates on Blackcaps for some reason.

Also, any news on the weather front in Napier today?

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Jamie How making a case for a test recall. God I hope the selectors see the light and pick a Guptill/McIntosh opening pair.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Jamie How making a case for a test recall. God I hope the selectors see the light and pick a Guptill/McIntosh opening pair.
not really a recall, as he's the test incumbent.

I'm happy either way with How or Guptil being picked, but long term I would like to see both of them opening.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Definitely not sold on McIntosh yet, would rather How-Guptill at the end of the day. Though Guptills partner regardless of who they choose will fail at the end of the day.

Flem274*

123/5
Definitely not sold on McIntosh yet, would rather How-Guptill at the end of the day. Though Guptills partner regardless of who they choose will fail at the end of the day.
Ya reckon?

McIntosh has started well but I don't really trust he's consistent yet, nor do I trust that pull/hook of his. How on the other hand looks great and for a while was pretty good (mainly in ODIs) but had a massive slump. History says he's crap but after his technical changes he looked a much better player.

Both are likely to disappoint, so I've said a really long version of awta. :p

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Franklin has become such a good batsman, I'm seriously worried he won't even bother trying to regain his bowling abilities and instead just focus on his batting.

Last edited:

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Franklin has become such a good batsman, I'm seriously worried he won't even bother trying to regain his bowling abilities and instead just focus on his batting.
He was shown to be out of his depth against the Windies though.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah short quick bowling looked an issue for Jimmy, but hopefuly he'll sort that. Hopefuly.

Really want him to get his bowling going again though.