• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Cricket Web XI in Sri Lanka Discussion and Results

readie

State Regular
Really pleased to have made my debut even if it wasn't such a great performance :). Hopefully if I get another oppurtunity whenever it may come I'll do better.

Top effort especially by Clapham and Pickup

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Lipton Triangular Series Final: Cricket Web XI vs Sri Lanka
First Innings Report from Sinhalese Sports Club, Colombo

Cricket Web XI posted a moderate total in the first innings of this triangular series final, and look like running the danger of reversing the performance in the home triangular series last month. The Webheads never got off to the good start they wanted, and ludicrous decisions throughout limited the effect of Alex Crampton's manic late dash.

Jayawardene won the toss and chose to field, and a quickly growing crowd saw that Vaas and Thushara mixed up the bowling well against Chaulk and Scott. The new-look opening partnership looked shoddy, with three vocal appeals against Scott turned down in the space of the first ten overs, which yielded a meagre 33 runs. Scott was then dropped by Muralitharan on 19, but still failed to capitalise adequately, with only the cover drive off Muralitharan's no-ball in the eighteenth over - immediately followed by a limper shot to Jayasuriya.

Like in the previous match, Chaulk got out enforcing the pressure - another victim of Jayasuriya's able hands - while Cloete played a soft shot. Butler seemed assured enough after shaking off the disappointment of running out Fuller, but he failed to get adequate support from Ben Read, who struggled through his second international appearance for a laborous 20. With three overs remaining, it looked like Cricket Web would fail to pass 200 - however, four boundaries off the able bat of Crampton lifted them to a more competitive tally of 223 for nine.

Cricket Web XI 223 for nine (50)
Chaulk 57, Crampton 40*; Maharoof 2/48, Muralitharan 2/53

readie

State Regular
Unlike myself to be taking time with the willow. Wish I'd been a bit more swift in making my runs tbh

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Lipton Triangular Series Final: Cricket Web XI vs Sri Lanka
Second Innings Report from Sinhalese Sports Club, Colombo

Scorecard
Ball By Ball

Mahela Jayawardene could lift the trophy after an assured chase was completed by a flurry of late boundaries. Cricket Web's bowlers, so often on the ball in the series, had a severe off day, and Sri Lanka completed a comfortable victory in this closely fought series.

Cricket Web started well enough, but in the third over Pickup at square leg failed to hold on to a misjudged pull from Udawatte. Runs continued to flow off Gough, as Sri Lanka slowly but surely cut runs off the target, and only in the nineteenth over did Cricket Web get the breakthrough - Udawatte bowled by Clapham for 38.

The runs were kept down, however, and Sri Lanka were behind the run rate posted by Cricket Web in the first innings of the match. However, they refused to be dismissed, and though Cloete and Clapham bowled economically, Jayawarende and Sangakkara were always on top.

With six overs remaining, Sri Lanka required 43 more runs, and the Webheads saw their hope in electric fielding and unhittable bowling. However, Jayawardene had some marvellous strokes kept in the bag. Ten boundaries later, and the meagre target had been whisked away, much to the crowd's amusement and joy - he redeemed a poor series by coming good when it counted.

Cricket Web XI 223 for nine (50)
Chaulk 57, Crampton 40*; Maharoof 2/48, Muralitharan 2/53

Sri Lanka 224 for two (46.1)
Jayawardene 77*, Jayasuriya 50, Sangakkara 42*, Udawatte 38

Sri Lanka won by eight wickets
Man of the Match: D. P. M. d. S. Jayawardene (Sri Lanka)

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Chaulk called up to Test duty
Richards, Kennett in line for recalls

Ash Chaulk is the reserve wicketkeeper in the Cricket Web XI Test touring party. The bulk of the eleven that played Australia have been retained, though Peter Young is likely to graduate to opener following the retirement of Thamba Mamesh. Talented Blue batsman Stephen Young has been rewarded for the third-highest run scoring this season with a call up as the reserve opening choice, while Chaulk will take up a middle order role. There was no space for Test veteran Rob Dauth after his decline in form during the home season, as Alex Blackman remains in the squad after being handed a cap during the Australia series.

On the bowling side, Black's leading light Dav Richards has been recalled to occupy a potential second spinner's spot, while excellent domestic seasons from Trav Demeza and Greg Thomas sees them retain their places despite poor performances in the Test series. David Kennett is recalled to challenge for a new ball spot due to his fine past performances in Sri Lanka and a consistent domestic season.

Cricket Web XI squad: *Neil Pickup, Alex Blackman, Nick Borcich, Chris Butler, +Ash Chaulk, Andrew Cloete, Trav Demeza, David Kennett, Will Kerr, +Håkon Mørk, Dav Richards, Greg Thomas, Mike Wilson, Peter Young, Stephen Young.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disappointing finish to the ODIs, but I guess it was going to take another very good bowling performance to restrict the likes of Sanga & Mahela. Unfortunately that didn't happen :(

Links not working either Mr Mork :)

readie

State Regular
Disappointing to finish like we did. But good luck to all the Test boys hopefully they'll dominate

Johnners

Thanks Hakon :)

I'm getting nosebleeds at 8 in ODIs it seems, reckon I'd be better suited at 9. Cribbage to agree 8|

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SL Board XI

...to line up against Cricket Web XI tomorrow.

W.U. Tharanga
N.T. Paranavitana
K.D. Gunawardene
T.M. Dilshan (c)
A.D. Mathews
L.P.C. Silva
L.K. Silva (wk)
K.M.D.N. Kulasekara
C.R.D. Fernando
K.T.G.D. Prasad
M.K.D.I. Amerasinghe

The CW XI team will be named shortly.

Last edited:

Johnners

Decent series for Pickup, 12 wickets @ 14.16! Won't complain about 7 @ 17 for myself either :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointing to lose the final. But that was probably the most consistent series we have had in ODIs for a while, i.e since Markus' retirement.

Harsh on Kapu, Kandamby and Udawatte not to make the Chairmen XI, though no Muburak evens things out.