• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Cricket Web 'A' in Southern Africa

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Third Test: South Africa A v Cricket Web A
at City Oval, Pietermaritzburg

Scorecard
Ball By Ball

Despite a pair of half-centuries from David Kearsley, Cricket Web A lacked the required resilience on a slow-paced pitch, and fell to a ten-wicket defeat in a disappointing last performance. Gritty knocks from Duminy, Dippenaar and McKenzie put the game well beyond the hands of the tourists, while de Wet appeared to have worked-out the secret of tail-end dismissals that eluded the Webheads in the last match.

Neil McKenzie correctly had faith in his bowlers after the first day began with heavy clouds surrounding Pietermaritzburg; despite it being near noon, the light was not good enough to play cricket, and the start was delayed by a quarter of an hour before the umpire agreed to let the players out. Morne Morkel took full advantage, bowling regulation outswingers and having Arnold and Scott caught near the wicket; Garven fought back, but hobbled after a yorker hit his foot, and was given out shortly afterwards to another yorker closer to the stumps.

After the initial breakthroughs, South Africa continued to bowl with pace and swing, and even though occasionally lacking in accuracy, they provided enough quality deliveries to take apart the Webheads. David Kearsley lasted the longest, keeping out 93 balls before he was hit outside the line by Friedel de Wet, and incorrectly given out on 75. That was the end of the resistance, as de Wet pitched it up and swung it away from the tail, who succumbed meekly. The innings had taken just 45 overs to clean up, and the Pietermaritzburg crowd might have been forgiven for thinking they were watching a one-day game.

The South African batting, however, quickly dispelled such notions. After Goolam Bodi had decided grit on a wearing pitch was not for him and quietly succumbed for two, youngsters Elgar and Duminy began employing the leave with maturity well beyond their years. Cricket Web bowled well on the first evening, but had little to show for it, as the South Africans knew they had a meagre total to contend with and played accordingly. The occasional expansive stroke was usually swallowed up by the boundary instead of the twenty-two waiting hands, and two patient partnerships set the hosts up nicely for the second day.

After Thomas was milked for runs early on, the day settled into the sedate pace that was to mark most of the play. Richards kept beating the bat, but only had reward when a quicker ball took Duminy by surprise, and he nibbled a return catch. The new ball was taken after lunch, but only resulted in an increased pace of runs as Borcich and Thomas wasted it; Richards came back to take his second wicket with the arm ball in the second over of his spell, but the lead crept up to 100 as McKenzie kept gritting out runs. After tea, Richards worked out van Wyk, but failed to come up with the wicket-taking deliveries against the tail; Collins' medium pace on the stumps did the trick, and if Fuller had held the final catch they would only have trailed by 180. As it were, McKenzie managed the hundred, and Steyn ended with an unbeaten 16 out of the final partnership worth 42.

Trailing by 223 on a pitch rapidly losing all consistency was never easy, but the Webheads decided to make a fist of it by rapid counterattacking. Arnold battered boundaries as he reached fifty before lunch, but Kemp's inswinger which took out Scott's off stump before lunch turned the tide. Arnold followed shortly afterwards, and despite more fighting fifties, there was always a South African bowler waiting to procure an unplayable delivery. Resuming on 214 for four after tea, the Webheads crashed feebly to Morkel and de Wet, and when Kearsley managed to get himself run out on 50, the bottom was reached. The final four partnerships brought about six runs, setting a meagre target of 19; this was achieved with the help of seven extras.

Cricket Web 'A' 233 all out (45 overs)
DA Kearsley 75; F de Wet 5-59, M Morkel 3-77

South Africa 'A' 456 all out (153.3 overs)
JP Duminy 115, ND McKenzie 105, HH Dippenaar 71; DP Richards 3-54, AAA Collins 3-56

Cricket Web 'A' 241 all out (58.4 overs)
AR Arnold 54, AJ Garven 53, DA Kearsley 50; F de Wet 3-55, M Morkel 3-64

South Africa 'A' 19 for nought (3.4 overs)

South Africa 'A' won by ten wickets
Man of the Match: F. de Wet (South Africa 'A')

Cricket Web 'A' first class record

bryce

International Regular
feel hard done by being left out i thought i would have balanced out the side alot better it was so hard to watch the boys be outplayed in that sort of fashion

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Damn, dissappointing end to the FC tour.

Surprised at my bowling figures. Though my average would've been around 40-50. Still not good enough though. Jaso gunned it, as did Richards, Borc, Collins, Garven and Fuller. Everyone else throwing in solid contributions.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
feel hard done by being left out i thought i would have balanced out the side alot better it was so hard to watch the boys be outplayed in that sort of fashion
I assume you were in direct competition with Fuller.

I guess your 4 matches of : 147 runs at 24.50 with the bat and 10 wickets at 37.90 didn't help in comparision to Fuller's much better batting on the tour.

Tough team to break into I think.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Terrible result for the end of the FC tour. Jaso had plenty of runs, though, always good to watch :p Richards was the man of the tour for me :)

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
Eeeek, not a good way to finish off the tourm and would have really liked to turn one of those 50's into a ton. Solid efforts by Jaso and Dave, well done lads.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
A couple guys really put their hand up with the bat, giving us a few options due to the likely vacancy that Pete Young might provide in the future in the middle order. As well as put some more pressure on Mamesh and Daulth to perform next tour. Would be nice if a keeper who could actually hold more catches then they drop step up with the bat though.

Bowling wise Richards confirmed his spot as No 3 spinner and put a little bit more pressure on Halsey to keep his spot. Collins probably jumped the ahead of a few others, but what we really lacked was a out and out wicket taker to stand up.

Results were poor, but A Series are about performances not results and developing future Internationals. As well as continuing to improve our depth. On those two accounts this leg of the tour was successful.

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
I assume you were in direct competition with Fuller.

I guess your 4 matches of : 147 runs at 24.50 with the bat and 10 wickets at 37.90 didn't help in comparision to Fuller's much better batting on the tour.
personally i would have read more into the entire dev league season as opposed to four matches, bearing in mind i didn't completely embarrass myself...

Tough team to break into I think.
no argument there haha

Last edited:

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
Am I really in with a chance? Sweet....

Anyway, what a disappointing way to end that tour! We had the upper hand so many times, and choked it when it was in the bag...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Cricket Web 'A' announce one-day touring squad

The CWBCC have made some major changes to the one-day squad in South Africa, as nearly half the squad travel home. However, the captain and wicketkeeper are both retained.

The 14-man squad is as follows: Daniel Smith, Shan Jasotharan (wk), Gerard Armstrong, Andy Cameron, Bryce Cunningham, Arunava Das, Dinusha de Silva, Ryan Dunn, Sean Fuller, Zac Gelman, Dave Richards, Xavier Rose, Nick Scott, Daniel Towns.

An updated tour schedule will follow shortly.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Happy to join the squad. :) Nice to see a few fellow Colts and former teammates in there too - we should do well!