• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** County Cricket 2019

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anyone here know much about Essex's Sam Cook? All I know is that cricinfo describe him as 'RF' rather than 'RMF', which is rare in itself, and that his track record at a still young age is impressive. I'm not suggesting for a moment that he should tour this winter, but maybe we have a genuine prospect here.
Rustled up some video from 2017 and he looked no faster than Porter's pace then, maybe even slower. Dunno if he's added any pace since then.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
He comes from my club. RF is very generous; he's probably about 80mph. I'm biased but he is very good though. Moves it both ways with good accuracy.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should probably remember that Abbas had RF on his cricinfo profile too, after playing domestic cricket for years, and he's one of the trundleriest trundlers from a top eight country in recent history.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Pope back for England by the end of the summer?
Hopefully not. He's better off with a clean slate with a new coach (and maybe captain) this winter. Bayliss will probably stick him opening or something if he plays in the ashes.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pope back for England by the end of the summer?
I suppose there will be two schools of thought. The first being that good performances in the last four matches of the season shouldn't put him ahead of someone like Northeast who was averaging 60+ after the first ten matches. The alternative view is that, so far, Pope has carried on where he left off averaging 70 last season now that his injury is sorted and it wasn't his fault he was out injured. Depending on how the remaining three matches go, perhaps they are competing for the spare middle order slot in the winter squad.

EDIT
And theegyptian is spot on too.

Anyway, he's passed 200 now. His second double in two first class matches this season.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's not our year :(
Somerset? Still some hope in the current match although it won't be easy. And Essex aren't helped by losing Amir for the rest of the season.

Elsewhere, decent effort by 37 year old Fidel Edwards to take five on what looks like a placid Oval wicket. Only deprived of the chance to match his fellow 37 year old Rikki Clarke's 7-for by Foakes' declaration. Now we'll see if the pitch has deteriorated enough for Virdi to make life tricky for Hampshire.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Watching the live stream from The Oval, one of the commentators seems unaware that Finch opens the batting for Australia when they were discussing who might open for Surrey if they are left with a run chase. Quite bizarre. Not that it will come to that as all of their quicker bowlers are sending down a succession of leg stump half volleys rather than actually threaten the batsmen at all. Virdi the only threat, and even he's straying to leg much of the time.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully not. He's better off with a clean slate with a new coach (and maybe captain) this winter. Bayliss will probably stick him opening or something if he plays in the ashes.
Wouldn't disagree with that. Hopefully we go for Silverwood as coach not Gibson or the Saffer hack who has failed everywhere.

91Jmay

International Coach
Watching the live stream from The Oval, one of the commentators seems unaware that Finch opens the batting for Australia when they were discussing who might open for Surrey if they are left with a run chase. Quite bizarre. Not that it will come to that as all of their quicker bowlers are sending down a succession of leg stump half volleys rather than actually threaten the batsmen at all. Virdi the only threat, and even he's straying to leg much of the time.
They'd have gone Finch & Pope I'd guess. Hottest bat and great LO player.