• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** County Cricket 2019

SeamUp

International Coach
Be amazed if they stop up, can't keep letting players go and not replace them and expect it not have an impact.
Can the Yorkshire coaching staff get Brook, Leaning, Tattersall (even if fairly new isn't young) and Fisher getting more output this season ?

Any reason why Bresnan isn't playing ?

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Bit of a tough pill to swallow for Dan Lawrence being ignored in the winter by England Lions. He can't complain though after last season. But it obviously hits home after not achieving what you capable of.

Went away to Oz instead. Is this the season he really lays down his marker and isn't just the talented kid ?
Yes big season for him, he certainly shot to prominence at the start of 2017 when he batted all day to salvage a draw for Essex against Lancashire, a Lancs team that included Jimmy Anderson. He'll have been disappointed with his CC form last season and hopefully it won't have done him any harm providing he's learnt a lot from it and it may have lessened the pressure of expectations from him. Big season for him, no question, hoping for some increased productivity from him this season.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Absolutetly shambolic start to the season for us (Essex) Yes credit to Hampshire but a truly pathetic performance from our batting, and the bowlers looked toothless and worryingly so, given how good that attack is! Hope its just an early season blow out but that was a shocker!

SeamUp

International Coach
Absolutetly shambolic start to the season for us (Essex) Yes credit to Hampshire but a truly pathetic performance from our batting, and the bowlers looked toothless and worryingly so, given how good that attack is! Hope its just an early season blow out but that was a shocker!
If Porter and Harmer don't take wickets then there isn't much else ?

You feeling there is room for the batting to do better even with the success from last couple of seasons especially with Cook back and hopefully Lawrence kicking on. So agree, the batting a massive disappointment.

SeamUp

International Coach
Leicestershire and Derbyshire both winning in the same round in division 2. Miracles do happen.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
You make a good point about the bowling attack, Tendo dosent bowl himself anymore and he really should do, Ravi always a threat when the ball moves around, but yeah Wagner will be the one for us, the batting never clicks and i dont know why as its a quality batting line up

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great to see Root tonning up and getting the draw. He hasn't had a long innings in a looooooooooooooong time. His century in SL came at strike rate of 90 too.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which county does my man Blessing Muzurabaani play for? Is he expected to make an appearance?

Woodster

International Captain
If Porter and Harmer don't take wickets then there isn't much else ?

You feeling there is room for the batting to do better even with the success from last couple of seasons especially with Cook back and hopefully Lawrence kicking on. So agree, the batting a massive disappointment.
You make a good point about the bowling attack, Tendo dosent bowl himself anymore and he really should do, Ravi always a threat when the ball moves around, but yeah Wagner will be the one for us, the batting never clicks and i dont know why as its a quality batting line up
Despite chasing leather for much of the opening game, I am more confident in our bowling performing consistenly than I am our batting, despite on paper having one of the stronger batting units in the country. Only Bopara and RTD really played anywhere near their capabilities last season with all of Browne, Lawrence, Westley, Chopra, even Cook to a degree, well below where their quality suggests they should be. Certainly Westley, Browne and Lawrence have the skillsets to propel themselves into England contention with a consistent season this year, but we have been prone to collapses too frequently of late.

As for our bowling, I agree, Porter and Harmer lead the way, no doubt, both outstanding county cricketers, but don't forget the arrival of Siddle will again add significant strength to the attack with the improving Beard, Quinn, and Walter adding competition for that last spot. I think the bowling looks in fairly good shape.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Bananaman was a beast for Essex last season, and that was coming off a fairly indifferent year for Victoria. He was pretty handy for the Vics at the back end of this season, so he comes in to his county stint with better form than last season

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Glos already down to the bare bones. Two players without squad numbers playing today. Harry Hankins (brother of George) debuting, and Yorkshire's Josh Shaw on loan.

Jack Leach back in the Somerset side today after not playing last week. Bess, surely has to leave at the end of the season.

Kent Warwickshire relegation 40 pointer already? Both sides with players missing currently, and lacking some of the depth of other division1 clubs. Tom Milnes back playing at Warwickshire. Stone and Bell out until at least June. Good to see Henry Brookes back fit and playing.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Michael Atherton's son Josh de Caires scored a ton opening the batting for Middlesex 2s this week. Pretty decent sussex/kent 2s attack too. Garton, Sakande, Hagget, Stewart, Beer. He's only 16 years old at present too.

SeamUp

International Coach
De Caires ? Mothers maiden name ?

I remember him talking about the Bunbury festival last summer on a sky insert? Watching his son play there.

SeamUp

International Coach
Good to see spinners are generally being backed early season.

Somerset : Leach (no Bess)
Notts : (Patel) no Carter
Surrey : Freddie vd Bergh (no Virdi)
Essex : Harmer
Yorkshire : (No Rashid)
Hampshire : Dawson (no Crane)
Kent : Adam Riley
Warwickshire : Jeetan Patel

Div 2 a different matter. Has Briggs (Sussex) & Parkinson (Lancashire) as main one's but both not playing for selection/injury respectively. Not much else around either.

Last edited:

theegyptian

I wouldn't be surprised to see Zac Crawley playing for England in the next year - which sounds fanciful given his career record to date. If Duckett, Hameed, Pope can ride in having not played for the lions on the back of one good season I don't see why Crawley would be any different. Obviously he needs that one good season but I really like the look of him, and obviously he'd almost certainly benefit more from some lions cricket and consistent returns - but with our opener situation as it is it rarely plays out like that.

Joe Clarke in the opposite situation. Really good career record so far, and been on loads of lions cricket. Probably fed up of seeing all these players bypass him into the test team with inferior records. The longer apprenticeship may actually benefit him though. Seen with Pope, Hameed, Duckett that playing when not ready doesn't do you much good. Clarke has a couple of issues that he's slowly improving upon (whilst still scoring runs) - namely the ball coming into him to hit offstump, and batting vs spin. Maybe when he gets his chance he'll be that much more prepared- although batting at 4 is an issue when Root bats there for England.

theegyptian

Burns, Mitchell, Crawley top 3 it is for the ashes then ... until next week.

Nice to see Root batting a long time too in these couple of Yorkshire games.

theegyptian

Broad's batting reaching new levels of ignominy. Bowled middle stump around his legs (by Overton who was bowling around the wicket).