• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't see why, Vettori's a tidy ODI bowler with a good record against Australia. He's hard to hit for more than 40 from his 10, especially if he has power play fields to bowl to.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
_Ed_ said:
Don't see why, Vettori's a tidy ODI bowler with a good record against Australia. He's hard to hit for more than 40 from his 10, especially if he has power play fields to bowl to.
If Gilchrist stays in the form that he did at the WACA, then any Left-Arm spinner would get smashed.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But Vettori has a knack of getting someone out when they're taking to him when he produces a deceptive change of pace or variation in flight.

We'll see.

brockley

International Captain
Odds are shortening on hopes to take watson's spot as allrounder.
Looks as if voges is just pipping white.
Question is will be 5 pace bowlers picked in the squad if there is clark will get the nod.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
brockley said:
Odds are shortening on hopes to take watson's spot as allrounder.
Looks as if voges is just pipping white.
Question is will be 5 pace bowlers picked in the squad if there is clark will get the nod.
What? According to you that is.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
yep, Vettori is a smart bowler, while he is bound to get hit occasionally as all spinners are he is a very smart player and im sure it will be a good challenge for whoever he is bowling to.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Best Australian XI

As chosen by me...

+Gilchrist
Jaques
*Ponting
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
White
Lee
Clark
Bracken
McGrath

4 seamers and White. Symonds can get through some overs as well. Still batting pretty deep with White at 7.

Hopes, Cosgrove, Hogg and Johnson will be there or thereabout.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Alright, might try and put together a best NZ XI. Let's see, automatic picks are:

1) Fleming
2)
3)
4) Styris
5)
6)
7) McCullum
8) Vettori
9)
10) Mills
11) Bond

Hmm. I'm stuck with the rest. Depending on how McCullum goes v Sri Lanka he might be opening which would free up a sport for another middle order batsman or a bowler.

I'd probably pick this team at the moment:

1) Fleming
2) Astle
3) Taylor
4) Styris
5) Fulton
6) Marshall
7) McCullum
8) Oram
9) Vettori
10) Mills
11) Bond

Oram's an embarassment of an ODI batsman, you could probably put Vettori above him. If McCullum fires opening v SL, then I'd change that to:

1) Fleming
2) McCullum
3) Astle
4) Taylor
5) Styris
6) Fulton
7) Oram
8) Vettori
9) Mills
10) Bond
11) Patel

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
I think Patel has to be there, or we aren't too good for bowling options. I like your second team but pushing McCullum up the order unbalances it IMO.

My pipe dream team for the WC that will never be picked would be

1) How or Ryder, or Vincent if he gets back into form.
2) Fleming
3) Taylor or Astle depending on form running up to the WC
4) Styris
5) McMillian
6) McCullum
7) Oram
8) Vettori
9) Mills
10) Bond
11) Patel

Bond and Mills open the bowling with Oram first change, Bond and Patel to close out the innings. Styris is an option too.

brockley

International Captain
There must be doubt if oram,mills and styris will ome at this stage,its late december they have a month to get uninjured.
Best to cover the 7 spot and pick white and voges.
I don't see why we need hopes in the side,but thats the way i see the selectors going.
Haddin's batting shouldn't go unnoticed tho.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
The New Zealand side looks pretty strong, Vettori should be quite a handful, and I hope MIlls goes well after his top-shelf bowling in the Champions Trophy. Looking forward to some competitive cricket. :)

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Retox said:
Don't think we should peg Ryder as an opener.

Why?.. He has always been a one day opener. He drops down the order in 4 day games but has always opened in shorter forms of the game. Infact, I remember reading an article about how he enjoys opening in one dayers and that it his favoured position.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Matt52 said:
Why?.. He has always been a one day opener. He drops down the order in 4 day games but has always opened in shorter forms of the game. Infact, I remember reading an article about how he enjoys opening in one dayers and that it his favoured position.
Well he has an avg of 45 in FC (at 4) and 25 as an OD opener, He always seemed to be more of a middle order option in both forms of the game.

But thats just me I guess.

brockley

International Captain
With hayden being 35,jaques and cossie out of form,and klinger the most inform one day opener in australia at the moment what are the chances pulling off a surpise and picking him,they did pick voges for the 3rd test.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hopes will never be anything more than a handy ODI player IMO, whereas White could be genuinely good, particularly if his bowling improves a bit. And more to the point, Hopes would be better served batting in the top 5 than coming in at 7.
The only reason Hopes played at all was because of the super sub rule, surely we won't waste our time and go back there again. Symonds, Voges/White, and Clarke can make the final 10 overs up easy enough with no need for a nothing all rounder.

The bowlers pick themselves - Lee, McGrath, Bracken, Johnson, Clark and Hogg will rotate through the 4 bowling slots throughout the series - it's just a pity there is no room to give Hilfenhaus an opportunity.

Jaques, +Gilchrist, Ponting, Hussey, Symonds, Clarke, Voges/White, Lee, Bracken, Clark/Hogg/Johnson, McGrath

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
brockley said:
With hayden being 35,jaques and cossie out of form,and klinger the most inform one day opener in australia at the moment what are the chances pulling off a surpise and picking him,they did pick voges for the 3rd test.
They'd probably give Hayden another chance before they picked someone like Klinger. Hayden did well in the Champions Trophy and It's not like Klinger is young either.