• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Big Bash League 2012/13

uvelocity

International Coach
"Certainly Gayle’s international replacement for the match, Kiwi Martin Guptill, must have thought he was playing in the Big Block. He managed 20 from 27 balls with just one four."

lol

geez dt is a pain I have gayle as posted. didnt realise he was playing some mickey mouse test cricket. why no fatty cosgrove. 3 players in my team havent even played

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Certainly Gayle’s international replacement for the match, Kiwi Martin Guptill, must have thought he was playing in the Big Block. He managed 20 from 27 balls with just one four."

lol

geez dt is a pain I have gayle as posted. didnt realise he was playing some mickey mouse test cricket. why no fatty cosgrove. 3 players in my team havent even played
You're an idiot, that's why. Yours is actually is the worst fantasy sports team I've ever seen put together.

toolie

Cricket Spectator
Seen a few posts Daniel Hughes is still injured should be back next weekend for North Sydney. Scott Coyte can't bowl at the moment he is injured hasn't been bowling in grade cricket.

Tremain bat's higher for Thunder than he does in grade cricket at the moment!

Can't believe Cosgrove didn't play.

Spikey

toolie with the goss. WAG

Once Azhar Mahmood was out, Cosgrove was about the closest thing they had to a matchwinner. he better be injured/sick.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
The Melbourne and Sydney teams really have been an exercise in terrible branding. There's an article on Cricinfo saying how the BBL will no doubt be disappointed because they only got 15K to a derby.

Well it isn't a derby. The organisers have given fans absolutely no reasons to support one side over the other. The idea of naming two teams Melbourne and two teams Sydney is so fundamentally flawed if you want to cultivate some sort of rivalry.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I agree with you for sure, and Sydney Thunder probably should have been called West Sydney... but having the same names hasn't affected Melbourne Heart vs. Melbourne Victory in the A-League.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think it is some league involving a sport where more action occurs than the NRL.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with you for sure, and Sydney Thunder probably should have been called West Sydney... but having the same names hasn't affected Melbourne Heart vs. Melbourne Victory in the A-League.
That's a rivalry that is almost exclusively carried by the Victory's support base, though.

The Heart was a poor branding exercise, too, because billing another team from Melbourne was always going to be reliant on people "switching" from the Victory - at least initially. The Heart still only averages 6,000-9,000 for home games, too.

You also have the fact that the Victory were already an established side before the Heart was brought it. Here you have Melbourne Stars and Melbourne Renegades coming in at the same time, and no real reason for a fan to choose one over the other.

benchmark00

The Melbourne and Sydney teams really have been an exercise in terrible branding. There's an article on Cricinfo saying how the BBL will no doubt be disappointed because they only got 15K to a derby.

Well it isn't a derby. The organisers have given fans absolutely no reasons to support one side over the other. The idea of naming two teams Melbourne and two teams Sydney is so fundamentally flawed if you want to cultivate some sort of rivalry.
Nah, there is a huge cultural difference between Western Sydney and the Eastern Suburbs. One is seen as bogans (those bogans like to think of it as 'working class') the other is seen as proper humans (those bogans like to think of it us 'stuck up ****s').

I'd agree that it should have been marketed more along those lines to foster a rivalry, but to say 'The idea of naming two teams Melbourne and two teams Sydney is so fundamentally flawed if you want to cultivate some sort of rivalry' about the Sydney situation is not true.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's a rivalry that is almost exclusively carried by the Victory's support base, though.

The Heart was a poor branding exercise, too, because billing another team from Melbourne was always going to be reliant on people "switching" from the Victory - at least initially. The Heart still only averages 6,000-9,000 for home games, too.

You also have the fact that the Victory were already an established side before the Heart was brought it. Here you have Melbourne Stars and Melbourne Renegades coming in at the same time, and no real reason for a fan to choose one over the other.
Yep all very true points.

Which makes you wonder why Benchy chose Sydney Thunder over Sydney Sixers.

benchmark00

Not to mention that geographic location would be another reason. There are huge amount of people who live in the Western Suburbs and identify with the Thunder because they play their games out there. Whereas if you live in the Eastern suburbs you're more likely to support the Sixers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, there is a huge cultural difference between Western Sydney and the Eastern Suburbs. One is seen as bogans (those bogans like to think of it as 'working class') the other is seen as proper humans (those bogans like to think of it us 'stuck up ****s').

I'd agree that it should have been marketed more along those lines to foster a rivalry, but to say 'The idea of naming two teams Melbourne and two teams Sydney is so fundamentally flawed if you want to cultivate some sort of rivalry' about the Sydney situation is not true.
I guess his point is how do you know Thunder are a Western Sydney team though? Why not name them Western Sydney?

Edit: Regarding your above post, Yeah their home games is obvious, so why not add the name too?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year

But is it well-known that one is from Western Sydney and one from the Eastern Suburbs? I'm not convinced if you had two Perth teams called "Perth", and the only difference is that one was based on Balga and one was based in Subiaco that many people would appreciate the difference.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Not to mention that geographic location would be another reason. There are huge amount of people who live in the Western Suburbs and identify with the Thunder because they play their games out there. Whereas if you live in the Eastern suburbs you're more likely to support the Sixers.
Right, I guess that's fair enough.

My point is that the BBL basically needs every advantage it can get, and I just think that it is shooting itself in the foot by not making the difference clearer.

benchmark00

But is it well-known that one is from Western Sydney and one from the Eastern Suburbs? I'm not convinced if you had two Perth teams called "Perth", and the only difference is that one was based on Balga and one was based in Subiaco that many people would appreciate the difference.
Nah it is obvious, Homebush is like a 45 hour drive west from the SCG and in the heart land of Western Sydney, although I agree maybe it would have allowed the common man who didn't know where they played the games to identify them. But people living in Sydney would definitely know as soon as they found out where they play the games.