• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***OFFICIAL*** BBL | 06 Thread

Regan

Cricket Spectator
Perth should have really got that with an over to go but nevertheless made for a good finish.

NZ needs to really learn from the marketing etc. of the BBL. It's come a long way.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Perth should have really got that with an over to go but nevertheless made for a good finish.

NZ needs to really learn from the marketing etc. of the BBL. It's come a long way
I agree, although it's so much more than just marketing.

_Ed_

I know having a NZ team in the BBL is a long way off, but I wonder if we could introduce a "Trans-Tasman Round" or something, since the two tournaments run concurrently. I think that might give our ailing comp a big boost, although it probably wouldn't do much for the BBL.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

NZ needs to really learn from the marketing etc. of the BBL. It's come a long way.
It's a significantly bigger market, I don't think you can compare the two. Channel Ten and Cricket Australia have a vastly bigger budget than their counterparts over here. No way in the wide world you could run our competition every night over here, it wouldn't rate. Australian viewing market much, much bigger. Plus their budget for OS players is larger I imagine. It's economies of scale at work.

Having said that, there's things we could do much better. Their commentators **** on ours. Could we schedule ours better in holiday destinations and better time slots for viewership? Dunno. I know I say Australia has major size of market advantages but there's definitely ways we can catch up. One also would be to have a finals day/weekend like the English T20 has, not the absolute abortion that was having the finals at Yarrow Stadium last year. Bugger me.

Zinzan

I know having a NZ team in the BBL is a long way off, but I wonder if we could introduce a "Trans-Tasman Round" or something, since the two tournaments run concurrently. I think that might give our ailing comp a big boost, although it probably wouldn't do much for the BBL.
There's nothing I'd like to see more than North and South Island NZ sides in the BBL, I see Fleming recently floated the concept of Northern, Central and Southern sides, but I'd be stoked with just one or two.

The sad reality for us Kiwis is, they just don't need us, they do fantastically as it is... and unlike the NZ breakers, Warriors and Phoenix where it was important for those sports to expand, looking at bringing in NZ sides really wouldn't be attractive for Australians, especially the pathetic crowds of 800 people turning up to watch our McDonalds cup games, they're sadly a non-event,

The sad part is in terms of actual ability, NZ are stronger in T20 than any other form of cricket, in fact I think we're currently the no.1 ranked team in the world, so I do genuinely think a north and south side would compete well, even in the games in Australia, but again, they just don't need us.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's a significantly bigger market, I don't think you can compare the two. Channel Ten and Cricket Australia have a vastly bigger budget than their counterparts over here. No way in the wide world you could run our competition every night over here, it wouldn't rate. Australian viewing market much, much bigger. Plus their budget for OS players is larger I imagine. It's economies of scale at work.

Having said that, there's things we could do much better. Their commentators **** on ours. Could we schedule ours better in holiday destinations and better time slots for viewership? Dunno. I know I say Australia has major size of market advantages but there's definitely ways we can catch up. One also would be to have a finals day/weekend like the English T20 has, not the absolute abortion that was having the finals at Yarrow Stadium last year. Bugger me.
The biggest complement I can give about the marketing and coverage is that it genuinely feels like part of the summer furniture already, just as something to put on in the background as a default.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm scared of what will happen if Ch9 gets hold of the rights in the next broadcast deal.

Spark

Global Moderator
I know but can only imagine how much $$$$ 9 will throw at their bid.
And CA will lap it up, but you'd have to think that the BBL is the product with way more growth potential and CA will know it's in safe hands already. Ten will bid the whole house to keep it.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't Nine have to fork out a ridiculous amount just to keep internationals out of the evidently far more capable hands of Ten as is?

Spark

Global Moderator
Didn't Nine have to fork out a ridiculous amount just to keep internationals out of the evidently far more capable hands of Ten as is?
Yeah Ten pushed hard for the whole lot. No one seriously thought they were gonna get it, but CA wasn't complaining.