• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh Tour of New Zealand 2019

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hey Astle gets a bowl after all.

Good that Wagner back in form - wasn't very good in his last couple of tests.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
look, I'm not an advocate for Southee in the ODI side, but anyone questioning his place in the test side after literally one bad morning is absurd. He's been genuinely excellent in test cricket for the last 2 years.
Totally, I was wondering if he’s down in the 120s in test cricket as well now, though. Hard to know when I’m just following on cricinfo.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
WAGs. Though SL were much smarter about combating Wagner's bouncers than Bangladesh here. Particularly in that big match-saving partnership, they ducked and left a lot. Whereas Bangladesh responded to Wagner asking 'are you the big man?' here with 'YEAH I'll show you!!' and got out. It's like an intelligence and discretion test for batsmen.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah definitely. I also think that Wagner struggled to maintain his usual intensity in the Basin test, possibly because of the fact that the team had literally hopped off a round-the-world flight a few days before. All of the bowlers looked completely flat in the second half of that test.

The Hutt Rec

We probably just expect so much from Wagner. He’s had the crucial match-winning spells against England and Pakistan in the first test of both those series over the past year, but hasn’t really taken a decent bag of wickets for a while (batting the last test vs Sri Lanka which it seems several of us forgot lol).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Is he a minnow basher?
Nah, the most he averages against any country is 35.5 against England. Averages 29 against India, 23 against Australia and Pakistan and 30.5 against South Africa. Also his home and away records are virtually identical (though that's probably at least partially due to him usually being benched for sub-continent based test matches).

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah definitely. I also think that Wagner struggled to maintain his usual intensity in the Basin test, possibly because of the fact that the team had literally hopped off a round-the-world flight a few days before. All of the bowlers looked completely flat in the second half of that test.
We did all think jet-lag played a part, yes. It was on the back of Wagner being left out for the third test in Pakistan too, having been effective on only one of four innings that series (though it was still harsh). There were a few discussions on how long he could keep with his short ball approach as he ages - that reminds me actually, that 4-fer was where he brought out the angry gestures at someone in the media (and Howsie). Anyway, seems to have some consistency and the intensity you mention back in that short-ball attack.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
We probably just expect so much from Wagner. He’s had the crucial match-winning spells against England and Pakistan in the first test of both those series over the past year, but hasn’t really taken a decent bag of wickets for a while (batting the last test vs Sri Lanka which it seems several of us forgot lol).
2018 was definitely his worst year in ages. Averaged sub-28 for every year between 2014-17. Tbf, the UAE is usually a fast-bowling graveyard, and as mentioned he wasn't the only bowler who went missing at the Basin test. But it was definitely an up-and-down year for him, which is unusual given how consistent he's usually been.

The Hutt Rec

We did all think jet-lag played a part, yes. It was on the back of Wagner being left out for the third test in Pakistan too, having been effective on only one of four innings that series (though it was still harsh). There were a few discussions on how long he could keep with his short ball approach as he ages - that reminds me actually, that 4-fer was where he brought out the angry gestures at someone in the media (and Howsie). Anyway, seems to have some consistency and the intensity you mention back in that short-ball attack.
I remember it now you mention the gestures haha. It was an article in the NZ Herald from memory.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, the most he averages against any country is 35.5 against England. Averages 29 against India, 23 against Australia and Pakistan and 30.5 against South Africa. Also his home and away records are virtually identical (though that's probably at least partially due to him usually being benched for sub-continent based test matches).
That's solid man.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
On these modern NZ pitches where the innings scores are a reverse of those in the subcontinent while the pitch approaches maximum roadness, what do we reckon the scores will be?

Bangladesh 250 a.o.
New Zealand 400/8d
Bangladesh 600 a.o.
New Zealand 451/1

?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Southee massaging those bowling figures with late wickets. Pleased Wagner picked up his fifth.

And Tamim still ended up with more than 50% of his sides runs. Some bad batting amongst the rest.