• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2012/13

Riggins

International Captain
yeah, i thought when we only picked 5 batters it must be hoping that botha/ludes/richo could be 1.5 - 2 batsmen between them, but then they sat richo.

but hey, it's all about balance. need 5 bowlers to defend low scores.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i thought it was slightly odd to drop christian for richardson (positive move, but richardson has his problems...) and it turns out they dropped christian for meanie

which is still a positive move i guess

Top_Cat

I'm a fan so may be a bit biased but I honestly don't see how. Richardson is quicker and gets more seam movement than either Mennie or Worral and can bat a bit. How does he not fit into the SA XI as it stands?

Riggins

International Captain
nah repair costs aside christian a way better player. he's a pretty good state cricketer, should be playing.

Spikey

I'm a fan so may be a bit biased but I honestly don't see how. Richardson is quicker and gets more seam movement than either Mennie or Worral and can bat a bit. How does he not fit into the SA XI as it stands?
Oh it's not the right move. Richardson should have played after you named him in the squad. I just thought he might have been left out of the squad in the first place.

Riggins

International Captain
in situations where mid off is straight, worrall could easily start his run up from wide of the man at mid off.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I would have played both Christian and Richardson itbt. I have nothing against either Mennie or Worrall - they're both much more decent cricketers than SA's reserve batting stocks - but I think the tail is a tad long now so I would've played Christian to rectify that, and Richardson as stated is just straight up a better bowler than those two. As it stands, Botha will be at 6, Ludeman at 7 and Sayers at 8.. that's an awful lot of faith in what has been a misfiring top 5, especially since it contains an entirely unproven opener plucked out of SA grade cricket.

I think Cooper coming back in for Raphael is inevitable as well but Cooper really doesn't deserve to be playing at the moment, so fair enough call there for now.

Riggins

International Captain
I think Cooper coming back in for Raphael is inevitable as well but Cooper really doesn't deserve to be playing at the moment, so fair enough call there for now.
he's made 600 runs in grade cricket this season in 5 games, reckon he's done about as much as you could ask for in terms of a recall.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
he's made 600 runs in grade cricket this season in 5 games, reckon he's done about as much as you could ask for in terms of a recall.
Yeah, he scored some Futures runs too, but I just don't think it's been for long enough I guess, especially since he did actually get some sort of recall in the middle of that and kept failing. Didn't have a great Big Bash either; I think he just needs a bit of a break from state cricket.

Riggins

International Captain
the thing for me is, aside from the one big futures hundred, he never really posted big scores. He always seemed to make the easiest 40 off 45 and then get out, in the first class games, futures, grade, all of it. that it seems he's started to get more mongrel about him and actually bat whole days makes me think it's clicked, and that he'd tear it up, which his should, because prince aside he's the most talented bloke in the squad by a mile.

Spikey

I would have played both Christian and Richardson itbt. I have nothing against either Mennie or Worrall - they're both much more decent cricketers than SA's reserve batting stocks - but I think the tail is a tad long now so I would've played Christian to rectify that, and Richardson as stated is just straight up a better bowler than those two. As it stands, Botha will be at 6, Ludeman at 7 and Sayers at 8.. that's an awful lot of faith in what has been a misfiring top 5, especially since it contains an entirely unproven opener plucked out of SA grade cricket.

you're forgetting that christian can't really bat or bowl though

Spikey

DAVID HUSSEY OUT FOR 1

87th over
over 86.4: Sayers to hussey, no run, out, comes forward and plays all around one which takes the top of his off-stump - vic 4/286 as cameron white strolls out to bat
over 86.3: Sayers to hussey, no run, aims a drive and beats him again outside off, this time he keeps his front foot behind the line
over 86.2: Sayers to hussey, no ball, comes forward and is beaten outside off by a no-ball
z

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
David Hussey has been quite poor in FC recently. Chris Rodgers on the other hand seems to be doing fine with two tonnes already this season. Suprised no-one has mentioned his name as a possibe India/Ashes batsmen. He's definitely more of a top three batsmen though.

On another note what the hell is happening to Victoria atm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
David Hussey has been quite poor in FC recently. Chris Rodgers on the other hand seems to be doing fine with two tonnes already this season. Suprised no-one has mentioned his name as a possibe India/Ashes batsmen. He's definitely more of a top three batsmen though.

On another note what the hell is happening to Victoria atm.
I've always been a big advocate of Rogers but trying to figure out how to order a top six consisting of Michael Clarke and five openers would make my head explode. Only worth considering as an alternative to Cowan IMO and I'm sure the selectors would sooner push Watson back to open and pick Khawaja or something if they really did want to drop Cowan.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
I've always been a big advocate of Rogers but trying to figure out how to order a top six consisting of Michael Clarke and five openers would make my head explode. Only worth considering as an alternative to Cowan IMO and I'm sure the selectors would sooner push Watson back to open and pick Khawaja or something if they really did want to drop Cowan.
Unless Cowan does a Shaun Marsh I find it pretty unlikely that Cowan will get dropped so I don't think Rodgers can open. Khawaja could bat at 6 with Rodgers at 4 although I think Bailey at 4 would be more likely IMO.

Unless of course Phil Hughes does another bowled Martin caught Guptill type situation in India.