• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australian Domestic Season 2013/14

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still plenty in the game for players, Behrendorff has likely already flagged himself for a tour but if he finishes with 5 here, could cement it.

Geez there are some good young quicks about the place right now.

adub

International Captain
Yeah Behrendorf has plenty to play for this afternoon. Also great for TPC (and perhaps Moey) to back up his first innings dig with another score. The result might be a foregone conclusion, but runs and wickets in a Shield Final never look bad on the CV.

Well done NSW. Pretty thin contributions throughout the season from the top order bar a couple of notable exceptions, but just had too much quality and depth in the attack. Only thing wrong with this win is that Dougeh wasn't there to enjoy it.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Wanted to see NSW take out the Shield, with Mitch Marsh making runs and Jason Behrendorff taking wickets.

Throw in a Smitteh ton, and this game has gone pretty much perfectly.

morgieb

Titlists, yeah!

BL WA. Still a very good effort to make the final despite looking a basket case early on, Berendroff looks like a gun, and North had a great revival.

morgieb

Best possible summer for cricket, btw. Won the Shield and it looks like internationally we're back to our best.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Need to find another batsman, tbh. Can't afford to rely upon the bowlers to bail us out after we lose TPC to Test duties and hence stop scoring runs.

Mad Dog really needs to kick on as well. So frustrating.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Futures League definitely didn't really help this season in finding another batsman either. Here's the list of players who averaged >35 and got out at least twice in the Futures League for NSW this season:

David Dawson
Trent Copeland
Peter Nevill

That just helps oh so much.

I'd suggest pinching Solway off the ACT, as I do on a yearly basis, but even he had a poor Futures League this season and he didn't do much better in ACT grade cricket either.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Time to bring back Corey Richards IMO.
Dom Thornley, IMO.

And tbf in Patterson, Dan Hughes and Scooter Henry we've got a few blokes with potential, it's just that none of them really performed this year, and the latter two are getting a little old to pass through on 'potential' these days.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Realistically, we're bloody lucky that Ryan Carters kicked on this year. Wouldn't have made the final without him, IMO.

Spikey

Futures League definitely didn't really help this season in finding another batsman either. Here's the list of players who averaged >35 and got out at least twice in the Futures League for NSW this season:

David Dawson
Trent Copeland
Peter Nevill

That just helps oh so much.

I'd suggest pinching Solway off the ACT, as I do on a yearly basis, but even he had a poor Futures League this season and he didn't do much better in ACT grade cricket either.
I suppose with NSW we have to factor in our bonus 2nd xi games. dhughes obviously would have a massive average if those were considered

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
5 reasons Steve Smith will be the next captain of the Australian Test cricket team

4. THREE-FORMAT PLAYER
Steve Smith’s standing as a key player in all three formats – Tests, one-dayers and Twenty20 – makes him a constant in the Australian set-up. Sharing the job around has proved problematic with various nations in the past. Continuity is important.
(Source)
Love that he's played 2 ODIs since 2012, and hasn't played a T20i since 2011, yet is still a key 'THREE-FORMAT PLAYER' to Mr. Tomarchio.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Love that those 5 reasons are apparently more important than leadership ability.

"Oh he's been dropped, made hard runs, was recommended by Ponting, plays three* formats and isn't Dave Warner. Captain material right there. Can he lead? That matters in captaincy?"

*minus two