• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australian Domestic Season 2013/14

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cowan would be the worst runner in the country surely? I reckon he just shades Phil Hughes. Though it is super tight.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
wait did we get a double bonus point?
Nah Smith was wrong.

RESULT POINTS
Win 4
Tie 2 each
No Result 2 each
Loss 0
Bonus Point 1 (Run rate 1.25 times that of opposition.)
Additional Bonus Point 1 (Run rate twice that of opposition.)
If you're bowled out then it counts as 50 overs but they still scored too many.

Spikey

"I think it's hard for guys to come out and play your entire one-day season in the first three weeks and I think it's going to be difficult for guys pushing for Australian selection when it comes to the internationals in January. I think it's probably tough for younger guys to break into the team, which traditionally you can do, depending on how your side is going late in the year.

I disagree with that simply because I don't think the OD comp plays too much a part in ODI selection, for better or worse.

benchmark00

Nah I reckon he has a good point with regards to pushing for international one day selection.

On what basis are they going to select domestic cricketers when the ODI's roll around after the test summer? Someone's form four months ago?

benchmark00

"I think it's hard for guys to come out and play your entire one-day season in the first three weeks and I think it's going to be difficult for guys pushing for Australian selection when it comes to the internationals in January. I think it's probably tough for younger guys to break into the team, which traditionally you can do, depending on how your side is going late in the year.

I disagree with that simply because I don't think the OD comp plays too much a part in ODI selection, for better or worse.
Finch, for example, got a gig on the back of Domestic performances.

Spikey

To extend, I think the BigBash plays a part here. As does the rotation system, in that guys are rested and we need to find a replacement, and hey this guy has got talent, he's come up through our system, I like his technique etc etc oh and hey he has a solid OD record too

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's got a point about all the games being in Sydney; I'd be having a whinge about it is I supported a non-NSW team too. And I also agree that playing less cricket throughout the summer isn't really a good thing at the moment either. However his criticism of giving OD cricket a dedicated window was laughable given last season he complained about the challenges involved in swapping between formats so often. I think having all the the one dayers at the start of the season is a good idea personally. It's true that it leaves a big gap between the end of the domestic one day season and the ODIs, but the alternative would be to have no Shield cricket on during the Test series, and people would no doubt cry blue murder if that happened (again).

There's no ideal solution. The Big Bash is essentially paying for these competitions to run the way they do so it has to stay where it is and the Shield and Ryobi Cups have to work around it, maximise their relevance in terms of both preparation and indication for selection.

Last edited:

Spikey

Finch, for example, got a gig on the back of Domestic performances.
If aaron finch makes 7 ducks during the BBL do you think he gets given a go last summer? It's part of the package for me. It plays some part, but there's a lot of other stuff that goes into ODI selection too imo. And I think the new format won't really affect it's part in the package, other than a lesser amount of games (which tbf, is a loss and something CA should try to get back)

Spikey

Tbf, I don't think Bailey went to any great length to blame his shield form on switching formats.