• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2005/06 thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Queensland cruise a massive win, on the back of 6/51 for Johnson, and 10 for the match. Certainly marks a huge step forward in his career, and shows that he's more than just potential. Hopefully he continues to develop next season.
yep, hopefully when he come over here he does well in his little stint in CC then takes a bunch of wickets in the Pura Cup next season & next time around actually earn recognition form the selectors via performances rather than just percieved potential.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Clark will take Dizzy spot anyway...
yea, but once Dizzy gets it together fully again, i think he would still be in the reckoning in the next 3 years or so, thats why he shouldn't lose his contract. I'd be surprised if he did.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
yea, but once Dizzy gets it together fully again, i think he would still be in the reckoning in the next 3 years or so, thats why he shouldn't lose his contract. I'd be surprised if he did.
IMO Dizzy best chance of getting back in was this tour of South Africa. With Kaspa being pick over him and Tait, Clark, Bracken and Johnson (maybe) comming through its going to be hard to keep his contract, let alone get back in the side. His too far down the pecking order now.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
chaminda_00 said:
IMO Dizzy best chance of getting back in was this tour of South Africa. With Kaspa being pick over him and Tait, Clark, Bracken and Johnson (maybe) comming through its going to be hard to keep his contract, let alone get back in the side. His too far down the pecking order now.
Dizzy might get a chance in bangladesh but that will be his only chance for a while.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
Dizzy might get a chance in bangladesh but that will be his only chance for a while.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tait and Johnson get a chance in Bangladesh rather then Dizzy or Kaspa.

Craig

World Traveller
Nnanden said:
Impressed by Johnson. Anyone else see Hartley`s catch?! :D
It was brilliant.

IMO he will replace Gilchrist when he steps down from Test cricket (never really rated Haddin and he is better suited for ODIs anyway) and did anybody see the stat how many runs he kept for without conceding a bye. I believe it was a record or close too.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mikeW said:
QLD have obviously prepared a flat deck so there isnt a result for the Vics.
Ridiculous statement. Victoria were bowled out twice. Their bowlers couldn't do anything, White was flat, Lewis, Harwood and Nannes couldn't even beat the bat.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Symonds has 2 half-centuries in 9 tests, of course.

I don't know really, I suppose Symonds ODI form has got him the respect of the selectors, so they want to give him a decent run in the test team to see if he can perform there too. He's done better than I imagined he would with the ball, but his batting seems lost at test level. He either digs in and does nothing, or he tries to blast a century off 40 balls and gets himself out.
Yet, when Clarke does it, it is labelled as 'inexperience' and when Gilly does it, it is labelled as 'his game'. Give the guy a break. He has been coming in, in very poor situaitons in the first innings and has tried to stay in there and not look stupid, by being aggressive, fair enough he finds a way to get out, but he is doing the right things.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Ridiculous statement. Victoria were bowled out twice. Their bowlers couldn't do anything, White was flat, Lewis, Harwood and Nannes couldn't even beat the bat.
Not really i still stand by the comment.

Mister Wright

All this talk of making the host team should not be guaranteed a Pura Cup victory with a draw in the final is ridiculous. What is even more ridiculous is the flak that Maher has caught fromt he media for batting so long and boring fans and sponsors. I can guarantee you, fans were not bored with the 900 score.

There were no calls for this when Victoria pummeled Qld for 710, it is a big case of double standards if I've ever seen one, from the southern media.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Yet, when Clarke does it, it is labelled as 'inexperience' and when Gilly does it, it is labelled as 'his game'. Give the guy a break. He has been coming in, in very poor situaitons in the first innings and has tried to stay in there and not look stupid, by being aggressive, fair enough he finds a way to get out, but he is doing the right things.
Clarke has had a few problems with his innings tempo, and that's one of the reasons he was dropped. Take note though that he had two centuries in his test career at the point Symonds is at now. That's going to buy you a little bit of leeway, as is being in your early 20s.

Gilchrist is a proven match-winner as test level, and the comparison is ridiculous. If Symonds was averaging 50 playing the way he plays, it would be silly to question it, but he's doing poorly because he hasn't been able to find a suitable style of play for test cricket. He either tries to score too quickly and is hit and miss, or he just doesn't do anything, he doesn't seem to be able to just play sensibly and go after the poor deliveries. If he doesn't correct it soon, he'll be dropped, and rightly so.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Clarke has had a few problems with his innings tempo, and that's one of the reasons he was dropped. Take note though that he had two centuries in his test career at the point Symonds is at now. That's going to buy you a little bit of leeway, as is being in your early 20s.

Gilchrist is a proven match-winner as test level, and the comparison is ridiculous. If Symonds was averaging 50 playing the way he plays, it would be silly to question it, but he's doing poorly because he hasn't been able to find a suitable style of play for test cricket. He either tries to score too quickly and is hit and miss, or he just doesn't do anything, he doesn't seem to be able to just play sensibly and go after the poor deliveries. If he doesn't correct it soon, he'll be dropped, and rightly so.
I don't disagree that if Symonds doesn't start scoring runs soon that he should be dropped. However, it has taken players who are much better than him, time to find their feet at test level. It is a bit harsh IMO to criticise the way he has been batting. My comment according to Gilchrist is that he has always given chances early, but usually they don't get taken, it is just unfortunate for Symonds that usually his first chance is getting taken.

Mister Wright

chris.hinton said:
Queensland got 900 i cannot believe it stil how the hell did NSW not get to the Pura Cup final
They don't have good enough batsman, and their front-line bowling attack is playing for Australia most of the year.