• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs West Indies - Frank Worrell Trophy 2022

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
What tf is the point behind Devon Thomas bowling?

And yes, before anyone says it I do know he has bowled semi regularly at times domestically. Still shouldn't be a thing that is happening though

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What tf is the point behind Devon Thomas bowling?

And yes, before anyone says it I do know he has bowled semi regularly at times domestically. Still shouldn't be a thing that is happening though
Arguably the second best spinner in the squad tbf. Bonner hasn't come off so far on this tour, so they need someone to be ready to go in case the first choice option in Roston Chase goes down.

(yes, their squad really is that silly)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ehh fair enough, I guess being less **** than the other options available at the time is at least something, not much, but something
Chase (and Bonner, with less opportunity tbf) have really sent down a smorgasbord of gourmet pies on tour so far, so I can definitely imagine Brathwaite thinking "err.. so what else have we got for the first Test?" by this point, lol.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually I'm now hearing his two overs were medium pace?

I've seen him bowl both, but there goes all of my theories :laugh:

Surely you just get Mayers to bowl those overs ffs.

Gob

International Coach
Handscomb resembles somewhat okaysh looking technique. Would be the right pick for India

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But he's not bowling spin, he's bowling very ordinary military medium, when Mayers is already there to do that far more skilfully.
Yeah just had a mate at the game tell me that on Signal. I know he does a bit of both, but it really makes no sense at all when Mayers exists and Holder is probably one of the best six or seven bats as well.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I must admit I am watching the Shield game so didn't see what he was actually doing, his offspin isn't too flash but his meds are in a whole different level of terrible

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Worth saying that attitudes like WI's towards spin in Australia (Barbados bias not withstanding) are rather baffling, especially in a team that, thanks to Holder, can pick four frontline quicks plus a handy medium pace option (Mayers).

If you don't want over rate penalties and want to get economically get through the doing-nothing old ball period, you want your best spinner, or at very least your best containing spinner who can through though those overs with little damage and might even get a wicket or two.

Look at Maharaj at Perth on SA's last tour. His average was not spectacular but he got a vital wicket (Smith for 0) and contained well.

Relying on someone of Chase's ability when you have much better is asking for trouble. Realisticaly speaking he's not strengthening the batting the way he's gone recently either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Worth saying that attitudes like WI's towards spin in Australia (Barbados bias not withstanding) are rather baffling, especially in a team that, thanks to Holder, can pick four frontline quicks plus a handy medium pace option (Mayers).

If you don't want over rate penalties and want to get economically get through the doing-nothing old ball period, you want your best spinner, or at very least your best containing spinner who can through though those overs with little damage and might even get a wicket or two.

Look at Maharaj at Perth on SA's last tour. His average was not spectacular but he got a vital wicket (Smith for 0) and contained well.

Relying on someone of Chase's ability when you have much better is asking for trouble. Realisticaly speaking he's not strengthening the batting the way he's gone recently either.
Yeah I actually totally get it if you're struggling to balance your side properly - you probably do want four real seamers in Aus, and you want to do it without starting the tail at 7 - but when Holder and Mayers exist and your keeper would make the team on batting alone you should probably always pick your best spinner. Even if they're Rawl Lewis standard.

I think that's Motie but arguments could be made for Charles, Hossain, Rakheem and even I guess Carriah. No real arguments could be made for Chase as a red ball spinner though. It's nuts.

Starfighter

Yeah I actually totally get it if you're struggling to balance your side properly - you probably do want four real seamers in Aus, and you want to do it without starting the tail at 7 - but when Holder and Mayers exist and your keeper would make the team on batting alone you should probably always pick your best spinner. Even if they're Rawl Lewis standard.

I think that's Motie but arguments could be made for Charles, Hossain, Rakheem and even I guess Carriah. No real arguments could be made for Chase as a red ball spinner though. It's nuts.
You about four 'real' seamers in Aus, if they're all RFM (*cough*England) I'm not sure the fourth seamer is more useful than a spinner. And a Rawl Lewis standard spinner shouldn't be picked in any team.

For me the only argument against picking Motie, from that lot, is the four left handers in the Aus top 7. But I'm not a fan of picking someone just because they turn the ball away. WI are in the very unusual position of being able to balance their team while having five seam options, so it makes not picking a proper spinner inexcusable. Chase has been struggling to even contain on a pitch not conducive to quick scoring and a slow batting lineup.

Starfighter

It looks like Roach is going to grind through a lot of economical overs without taking many wickets on this tour. With the ball doing little and his lack of height it's hard to see how he'll pick up wickets.

It'll be interesting to see how Green bats this summer. I don't like that it seems they're trying to turn him into a hitter. No-one knows if his 50 Shield average will translate to mid-40s+ at test level, but turning him into a hitter means I reckon he won't average more than mid-high 30s.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It looks like Roach is going to grind through a lot of economical overs without taking many wickets on this tour. With the ball doing little and his lack of height it's hard to see how he'll pick up wickets.

It'll be interesting to see how Green bats this summer. I don't like that it seems they're trying to turn him into a hitter. No-one knows if his 50 Shield average will translate to mid-40s+ at test level, but turning him into a hitter means I reckon he won't average more than mid-high 30s.
I'm a bit concerned that he's played no red-ball cricket since the sri lanka tour. Would have much rather seen him play a few shield games with WA then warm the bench in the t20 wc, but what's done is done at this point.