• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs South Africa -2022/3

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Dean Elgar in the post match interview talked about how inexperience has hurt the side , I don't agree with that it's more down to a lack of ability. The entire top 6 is not good enough for test cricket no amount of test matches are going to change that. Besides 5 of the top 6 are 30 and older so it's not like time is on their side,
Elgar 35 , Erwee 32 , De Bruyn 30 , Bavuma 32 , Zondo 32 .

Bahseph

State Captain
Dean Elgar in the post match interview talked about how inexperience has hurt the side , I don't agree with that it's more down to a lack of ability. The entire top 6 is not good enough for test cricket no amount of test matches are going to change that. Besides 5 of the top 6 are 30 and older so it's not like time is on their side,
Running out of excuses at this point. Anyone who vaguely follows cricket in SA will give you an accurate enough take on our Test batsman. When the selectors are "doing" their jobs,do they actually think that there could be a time we see Zondo or Bavuma scoring 150s or 200s in Tests? Because they are your 4 and 5,they should be able too. The others are jobbers,as @StephenZA calls Rassie and Erwee, or past it like Elgar.

Verreynne has impressed me this year. He isn't perfect but he averages 31 since taking the gloves from de Kock, with a hundred in NZ and a couple of fifties in Aus. Perfectly fine to be at 7 imo.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the post-WSC, this surely has been the season with the weakest standard of batting to tour Australia.

I always thought it was the West Indies of 2000/01 that was the worst but on paper at least they were clearly more talented than the dire WI/SA batting lineups of this season.
Yeah this is definitely worse. They had Lara and Jimmy Adams came into the series averaging like 60 in Test cricket IIRC. They also had Sherwen Campbell, Chanderpaul, a young Marlon Samuels and Ramnaresh Sarwan (who tbf was terrible).

edit: and Wavell played a good knock in the last test

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hypothetical but If he had stayed in SA would Conway have made it to international level
No. He struggled in SA. I think part of it was lack of CSA looking after decent prospects and part is SA is just a tough place. The ability to settle down and focus on his cricket could probably only be found elsewhere.

Rasimione

U19 Captain

What a clown he's turned out to be. We keep loosing because the best players are left home in South Africa. You look at the bowling unit and no one questions their place in the side because they are the best in the country. The batting on the other hand is a reflection of lack of ability. No e of the top 5 batsmen will win you a Test match. That's the cold hard truth. Ordinarily in a well run organisation, heads would roll but they won't. The same useless guys like Erwee, De Bruyn,Zondo,Rassie, Bavuma and a finished Elgar will still have confidence of selectors.

The solution is simple really. Get rid of Mpitsang and his gang. Put Elgar to pasture and make Bavuma the captain. Bat Bavuma at 6 seeing as that'sthe Only position he looks decent. Get new openers. Petersen will come back at 3. Bat Verryne at 7. Don't pick Ngidi and Jansen at the same time. How hard can that be?

My team would look something like this.

Jordan Hermann
Joshua Richards
Keegan Petersen
David Bedingham
Ryan Rickelton
Temba Bavuma(c)
Kyle Verryyne
Marco Jansen
Keshav Maharaj
Kagiso Rabada
Anrich Nortje

Reserve batsmen

Aiden Markram
Tony De Zorzi (question marks with this one)
Marques Ackerman
Janneman Malan (question marks again)

Reserve bowlers

Simon Harmer
Nadre Burger
Gerald Coetzee (I really hope he improves)
Ngidi

Surely that's a half decent team to improve and mature as a unit? I didn't even include people like breetzke,Stubbs and Brevis in the mix because they haven't done anything worth being selected for. But the key thing is, there is talent at domestic level. Back them.

halba

International 12th Man
In the post-WSC, this surely has been the season with the weakest standard of batting to tour Australia.

I always thought it was the West Indies of 2000/01 that was the worst but on paper at least they were clearly more talented than the dire WI/SA batting lineups of this season.
Don't forget the utter dross of a batting line-up England last season.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting stat in the NZ-Pak test

The 2 highest averages in the past 5 years are

KDub
& Babar
with Smith and Marnus at 3 and 4

Stats people working to their audience