• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in West Indies Thread

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
haha yeah

Well A he has changed his bowling style as far as Line & Length since then and B just because he was there best bowler does not mean he bowled well the others were absoulte crap and Dillon was only slightly better.

I watched the whole summer and alot of the wickets he got were quite lucky I would have to say.

Any way the Australian players thought Collin Stuart was there most dangerus bowler when he played and look what happend to him.

I still think he is there best bowler but reading some of the things he has been saying about how he is planing to give the Aussie batsman a though time with the short stuff well I just dont think it will work.
It might work, stop underestimating him, he is a very fine bowler who has had to lead a very weak attack. I would find it extreamly funny if he routed Australia after those typically arrogent comments...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
It might work, stop underestimating him, he is a very fine bowler who has had to lead a very weak attack. I would find it extreamly funny if he routed Australia after those typically arrogent comments...
But it would all be luck and there would be no skill involved Rik!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Did you post this after Hooper walked out, or did you not want him in the side anyway?
I edited it after I heard the news about Hooper on the radio. Hooper's been spectacular, especially at home, since his return to cricket. It's a shame really....

I had intended to drop Hinds upon Hooper's inclusion.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Did anyone notice how the Carrib Beer XI gave a good scare to the Aussies... These guys scored over 400 runs in three sessions of play or something, and came within 40 runs of pulling a most amazing victory. Who is this guy Deonarine, and I am sure we will see more of Carlton Baugh if he gets to play in the tests.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think Carlton could be Ridley's long term replacement... Can't see him playing just yet, but expect him to be in the squads and touring.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Hmm, is in the same vein as Caddick's 10 wicket haul was all luck?
Stop accusing me of that I never said Caddicks 10 wicket haul was lucky did I :!(

Go look it up it was not me who said that and I never even implied it so before you go making jokes about me cheek your facts.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
You got me there and I will apologise and admid to being a little arrogent.
I did go back and watch some of the tapes of the series and will admit he did bowl very well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie_beater said:
Did anyone notice how the Carrib Beer XI gave a good scare to the Aussies... These guys scored over 400 runs in three sessions of play or something, and came within 40 runs of pulling a most amazing victory. Who is this guy Deonarine, and I am sure we will see more of Carlton Baugh if he gets to play in the tests.
Deonarine is a very talented youngster who many compared to Chanderpaul a few years back but more aggressive. He made an impressive entry into FC cricket with some good runs but has fallen off in the last couple of seasons preceeding this one. Even this season, he's shown mixed form with some really brilliant knocks and some mediocre dismissals.

IMO Baugh is a very good player but not quite ready for International cricket. He only played his first full season this year. He did have a wonderful season and his century against Australia, from all accounts was pure class, but he's too young. We don't want to destroy another talent by bringing him in to early.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The good thing for WI is that Lara and Chanderpual are in good form. The bad thing is that Sarwan is also in good form :( and Samuels is out of form.

Anyway...IMO Samuels is a class batsman and you know what they say about form........

Top_Cat

IMO Baugh is a very good player but not quite ready for International cricket. He only played his first full season this year. He did have a wonderful season and his century against Australia, from all accounts was pure class, but he's too young. We don't want to destroy another talent by bringing him in to early.
Thank you.

I always knew you were wise beyond your years. It seems most people see the folly in playing someone like Clarke so early in his career.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
Thank you.

I always knew you were wise beyond your years. It seems most people see the folly in playing someone like Clarke so early in his career.
And yet we still get flack for it?

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I don't think Lara is in good form at all, he struggled in his 30odd recently in the first innings of a game against barbados, he was reported that he had so many catches dropped, edges going to third man. I dunno how he did in the second innings, maybe Mr Mxyzptlk can tell us how many did he score.....

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Here's WI's final eleven for the first test -

Brian Lara (captain), Wavell Hinds, Devon Smith, Daren Ganga, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Marlon Samuels, Ridley Jacobs, Vasbert Drakes, Mervyn Dillon, Pedro Collins, Jermaine Lawson.

Devon Smith makes his debut.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
R_Powell_fan said:
I don't think Lara is in good form at all, he struggled in his 30odd recently in the first innings of a game against barbados, he was reported that he had so many catches dropped, edges going to third man. I dunno how he did in the second innings, maybe Mr Mxyzptlk can tell us how many did he score.....
He seems in very good form in this Test, 26 off 26 balls with 6 sparkling 4s.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well after winning the toss and electing to bat the Windies doing real well...

4/47

Smith 3 lbw B.Lee
Ganga 0 b J.Gillespie
Hinds 10 ct J.Langer b B.Hogg
Samuels 0 ct M.Hayden b B.Hogg

Lara 26*
Chanerpaul 1*

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lara got a real aeroplane decision.

I thought that Steve Bucknor took a long time over decisions, but Asoka de Silva must have stood there (shaking his head) for about 10 seconds before the dreaded finger was raised.

Looked to be clearly missing off stick, too.

Chanderpaul looks in good touch

WI 67-5