• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in Sri Lanka

aussiefan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Excellent play by the aussies. 8D

and I am happy that the cheap way of playing by the sri lankans fell on them.

now they will not prepare the turning wickets which were made expecially to torture the aussies but unfortunately it backfired on them

Does ARJUNA has to say some thing to warne? :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I wonder, can he overtake Walsh in this series?
Another 19 wickets, tough ask but you would be a fool to rule him out from doing it unless it is mathmatically impossible of doing it.

nibbs

International Captain
pfffftttt.

Warne may have beaten Murali to 500, but the fact remains he's had a massive head start. Had Murali played the same ammount of tests he'd be miles past Walsh by now. I get the feeling the only reason Warne continued to play cricket was so that he could beat Walsh's record and become the record holder. I wonder now if he'll ever become the record holder. Warne is 3/4's the spinner Murali is. I reckon Murali will pass him during this series. He'll beat Walsh's record and Warne would have wasted his time. I'm quite sure this is what will happen.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
nibblet said:
pfffftttt.

Warne may have beaten Murali to 500, but the fact remains he's had a massive head start. Had Murali played the same ammount of tests he'd be miles past Walsh by now. I get the feeling the only reason Warne continued to play cricket was so that he could beat Walsh's record and become the record holder. I wonder now if he'll ever become the record holder. Warne is 3/4's the spinner Murali is. I reckon Murali will pass him during this series. He'll beat Walsh's record and Warne would have wasted his time. I'm quite sure this is what will happen.
Murali may have played a lot less tests (around 22 I think) but he has only boweld about 100, or slightly less than 100, overs than Warne. I.E. about two innings for Murali.
It seems almost impossible ti think Murali could have possible bowled any more overs into his career than he has to this point - by the time he has played the same amount of tests as Warne, he will have bowled 1000's more overs - and this is really the only comparison one can make.

aussiefan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
if the srilankans continue to make pitches like these then warne stands a chance for breaking the record in this series.

it looks difficult but cricket is a funny game 8D

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Kenny said:
Murali may have played a lot less tests (around 22 I think) but he has only boweld about 100, or slightly less than 100, overs than Warne. I.E. about two innings for Murali.
It seems almost impossible ti think Murali could have possible bowled any more overs into his career than he has to this point - by the time he has played the same amount of tests as Warne, he will have bowled 1000's more overs - and this is really the only comparison one can make.
Be fair, Kenny. You can compare averages, and Warne's ain't too flash when compared to Murali's.

You are hinting at their strike rates being similar, and they are, but the most common comparison and the most basically meaningful (bowling average) puts Murali ahead. Argue about doctored pitches if you will, and that may be valid, but don't tell us that the only comparison one can make has them equal. It just isn't true.

Craig

World Traveller
Apprantly Rodney Hogg was sacked when he once predicated Warne will take 500 Test wickets. This was before he played FC cricket let along Tests.

desai

Cricket Spectator
srilanka has announced team for next match. they have dropped dharmsena and included hearth. i wonder what difference it would make.. hearth hasn't played test cricket in last four years...
looks like they will play with 2 fast bowlers and rest spin...
must drop jayasuriya ....

Kenny

U19 Debutant
bennyr said:
Be fair, Kenny. You can compare averages, and Warne's ain't too flash when compared to Murali's.

You are hinting at their strike rates being similar, and they are, but the most common comparison and the most basically meaningful (bowling average) puts Murali ahead. Argue about doctored pitches if you will, and that may be valid, but don't tell us that the only comparison one can make has them equal. It just isn't true.
mate I was just responding to the guy who said that Warne had a 'massive head start' - whilst true, that head start is somewhat negated by the fact that Murali has bowled almost as many overs as Warne.
I don't see an issue with that statement.

I didn't mention doctored pitches.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Kenny said:

I didn't mention doctored pitches.

My apologies for the inference, I wasn't trying to say you had. The point I was trying to make with the reference to doctored pitches was that it is just about the only argument by which you can say that Murali and Warne are comparable bowlers. Without this working in Warne's favour you have:

S.Warne: Avge 25.51
M.Muralitharan: Avge 22.86

Simplistic analysis, but it is a meaningful comparison. It does not, however, make him "3/4 of the spinner Murali is." I think Nibblet may be overdosing on Anti-Australian pills.