• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in New Zealand T20s 2021

thundaboult

International Debutant
Just hasn't had a proper good T20 spell since 2017-2018 imo. We'd be a lot stronger if he could be relied on to bowl as well in the death as he did in 2015-then
Tbf boult hasn't played many t20s for NZC since late 2017 (NZ too in general), I feel its this season where he's actually got a consistent run in this format for us. 3 t20's against pak and now 5 against Aus. Southee on the other hand has been in the squad on a regular basis and s***s the bed consistently against any a squad, b squad, c squad that aus eng and ind send over including 3 super over failures. But of course lets forget about all of that since he swung the ball once or twice against Pak and took a scrap of wickets. If Boult got that many chances he would be up there with Sants and Ferguson as the first names on the sheet.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
minnows argument doesn't really come into it when nccullum was a threat to everyone. he was such a meme we had aussie the poster insisting we should pick him for test cricket after he ran amok against india.

the best nz t20 bowlers are (this is not an order tho i put ferguson and vettori 1 and 2) ferguson, boult, vettori, milne, santa, sodhi and nccullum. bit of a gap to the rest.

i guess it says something about the format that i kinda expect sodhi in particular to just get cancelled in some wc or series where it all stops working. i agree with the previous poster that he hasn't been bowling traditionally well for a very long time now. we need to look elsewhere for the 2023 odi wc.
Bond only played 20 T20s (more than his 18 tests) - 25 wickets @21 e/r of 7. Probably our 2nd best behind Vettori

thundaboult

International Debutant
You're bloody mad if you looked at this summers T20I and think Southee has performed worse than Boult.
My point wasn't primarily about this summer, its about southee failing consistently during key moments against top opposition time after time in LO's. But lets look at the numbers for this season.

tim southee overall 9 matches, economy 8.26, 15 wickets

trent boult overall 7 matches, 8.14, 7 wickets

Southee with a better SR and avg as he got some good performances vs pak/wi while boult wasn't playing/smashed by pak big time in 1 game which ruins his overall numbers. Boults wins economy rate due to good outings against aus primarily. Speaking of Aus....

.....against opposition that challenged us (AUS), lets look at the numbers again....

Tim southee vs aus

164 runs

6 wickets

19 overs

trent boult vs aus

144 runs

7 wickets

19 overs

Boult wins this one decisively.

Also lets not forget his key overs vs Aus in the second t20 where his yorkers won us a close fought match. Southee as expected was smacked around when under the pump from stoinis/sams. Boult also bowled extremely well with our guys coming in under pressure yesterday in the decider while southee, again very predictably....was smacked around. Moral of the story....Southee don't got it dawg, its time for Milne to bowl some cheap, pretty, wicketless overs.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Southee had a great 20th over yesterday which was pretty crucial in the total we ended up chasing.

Tbh I'd be happy to give Southee another run in the ODI side, he's obviously turned things around extremely well in tests and t20s, the way he's bowling I'd be interested to see if he can do that in ODIs as well (although we only have three this season, so can also understand if he doesn't get a run).

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My point wasn't primarily about this summer, its about southee failing consistently during key moments against top opposition time after time in LO's. But lets look at the numbers for this season.

tim southee overall 9 matches, economy 8.26, 15 wickets

trent boult overall 7 matches, 8.14, 7 wickets

Southee with a better SR and avg as he got some good performances vs pak/wi while boult wasn't playing/smashed by pak big time in 1 game which ruins his overall numbers. Boults wins economy rate due to good outings against aus primarily. Speaking of Aus....

.....against opposition that challenged us (AUS), lets look at the numbers again....

Tim southee vs aus

164 runs

6 wickets

19 overs

trent boult vs aus

144 runs

7 wickets

19 overs

Boult wins this one decisively.

Also lets not forget his key overs vs Aus in the second t20 where his yorkers won us a close fought match. Southee as expected was smacked around when under the pump from stoinis/sams. Boult also bowled extremely well with our guys coming in under pressure yesterday in the decider while southee, again very predictably....was smacked around. Moral of the story....Southee don't got it dawg, its time for Milne to bowl some cheap, pretty, wicketless overs.
Lmao that's nowhere near decisive

Flem274*

123/5
Bond only played 20 T20s (more than his 18 tests) - 25 wickets @21 e/r of 7. Probably our 2nd best behind Vettori
yea i was thinking this after posting. he might not have the games behind him in t20s but it feels wrong to leave shane bond out of a t20 side. he's a weapon.

you could justify an attack of bond, ferguson, milne, vettori and allrounder (probs santner at #7) which is funny to think about because boult and southee have been playing for so long.

Flem274*

123/5
Southee had a great 20th over yesterday which was pretty crucial in the total we ended up chasing.

Tbh I'd be happy to give Southee another run in the ODI side, he's obviously turned things around extremely well in tests and t20s, the way he's bowling I'd be interested to see if he can do that in ODIs as well (although we only have three this season, so can also understand if he doesn't get a run).
yeah he can probably rejoin the rotation next summer when we actually play some odis against teams who won't suck. just keep him away from the death or super overs, like we do with henry.

Worlds Fastest Gavin Larsen another who i hope we welcome back for some more cheap, miserly middle overs heat and opposition engine room nerfing.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Don't have a problem with Southee being part of the T20 lineup on principle or anything, but I think he's just useless at the back end of an innings (and can't recall anyone less reliable in a super-over scenario). He needs to be used the way Mills was in ODIs, though I guess in T20's bowling someone up front makes it harder to manoeuvre your resources towards the end. I also think his IPL performances too are more indicative of how he'll go in the upcoming T20 world cups.

Hopefully Ferguson is fit so it becomes pretty straightforward - Boult, Ferguson, Santner, Sodhi and whoever makes up the fifth - Neesham and Chapman I suppose, maybe McConchie if he is in the frame.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not so much of a liability if NZ has Ferguson, who can pick up the slack in the last 5 overs, but yeah that kinda bowler is less valuable in T20's than in ODI's where you can rattle through 7 overs at the top and then squeeze 1 or 2 more in during the 25-35 over lull period.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Unlike Mills Southee is actually a good death bowler. But just as Moss mentioned, he isn't reliable. One over he will be gold, the next he will bowl pie after pie. More typically he bowls 3 good balls and 3 bad. Ideally he bowls 2-3 overs first up and comes back to finish before the last 3 overs IMO.

Ferguson has to bowl two of those.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Worlds Fastest Gavin Larsen another who i hope we welcome back for some more cheap, miserly middle overs heat and opposition engine room nerfing.
I read Stead saying Milne was in the equation for the Bangladesh series, but you'd have to assume, given he was snubbed for the T20 series v Aus that he'd be more interested in making himself available for the IPL than playing a couple of pointless T20's v Bangloldesh.

Howsie

International Captain
I’d take Ferguson, Boult and Milne over Southee when it comes to 20/20. Hell, and it’s a big call after the series he just had I’d take Jamieson with the new ball over him too.

If none of the IPL guys are available V the Bangers what’s the squad looking like. I’d love to see Finn Allen, Josh Clarkson and Ben Sears get a look. Maybe even Joe Walker....

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
My ideal squads
ODI: Guptill, Nicholls, Conway, Taylor, Latham, Neesham, Clarkson, Rippon, Henry, Southee, Sears, CdG and Sodhi

T20: Guptill, Allen, Conway, Phillips, Chapman, Neesham, CdG, Walker, Sodhi, Southee, Sears, Kugz and Seifert

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
My ideal squads
ODI: Guptill, Nicholls, Conway, Taylor, Latham, Neesham, Clarkson, Rippon, Henry, Southee, Sears, CdG and Sodhi

T20: Guptill, Allen, Conway, Phillips, Chapman, Neesham, CdG, Walker, Sodhi, Southee, Sears, Kugz and Seifert
I'd be looking at Jayden Lennox before too long (not now). He just feels to me like he's going to work at international level. No issue if they carry two LH spinners if they're both good.