• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why not, and why?

(I personally think LT is one of the most informed cricket posters on here, despite the rarity of his posts, but I can't say I'm terribly enamoured with his what I see as unkindness to a 10-year-old)

dass

Banned
Australian "Depth"

it looks to me it has, i am not just saying this because of their recent oneday form but for the fact their star players are getting old, guys like Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Mcgrath, are well in to thier 30s and these new players are good but certainally they cannot match the talent of these old folks.

FRAZ

International Captain
No it's a temporary low . Australians are going to regain the win percentage that they were maintaining . They know the art of playing a "team" . If Brett Lee and Hayden find it hard to squeeze in the team then what else is called a "might" . Their management is scientific and as correct as humanly possible . They are butchers of degraded sides like Pakistan and they are master of their art . They come out big when they are supposed to . I am supporting them in this WC .

dass

Banned
i think u are wrong dude, you see up until now Australia were playing in the era where they had the best of players like Warne, Mcgrath, Ponting, Gilchrist, but these players are retiring or will retire soon, so the standard of cricket that Australia is playing with over the last 10 years is bound to go down.

FRAZ

International Captain
i think u are wrong dude, you see up until now Australia were playing in the era where they had the best of players like Warne, Mcgrath, Ponting, Gilchrist, but these players are retiring or will retire soon, so the standard of cricket that Australia is playing with over the last 10 years is bound to go down.
Nope it's the Australian team which is wining .
Pakistani individual testosterone level was quite high at one stage when they were playing the likes of I*** , Waqar , Wasim , Yousaf , Moin , Saqlain , Razzaq (the best all - rounder in the team) , Azhar , Saeed , Aamir , M Zahid (fastest and most accurate) .But as a unit their 'small thread fish' levels were fighting each other and wanted to jump first in the broken egg of captaincy ... They had the best talent and I have no doubt about that but still they could not do much against Australia .... It's the team that I am talking about dude and not the individuals ....

Stumped

Banned
it looks to me it has, i am not just saying this because of their recent oneday form but for the fact their star players are getting old, guys like Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Mcgrath, are well in to thier 30s and these new players are good but certainally they cannot match the talent of these old folks.
u can hardly say that they r begining the slide if they have won the ashes and "dominated" in a sense in the tri-series as they have....outlandish comment

pup11

International Coach
Dass are you ok mate? Aussies are not a one man army, though these players are greats but it doesn't mean that after they are gone aussies are finished. Lots of aussie greats retired in the past too but then also aussies never lost their consistency. P.S.- Why are you mentioning ponting's name with those players he is just 31.

Fiery

Banned
Dass are you ok mate? Aussies are not a one man army, though these players are greats but it doesn't mean that after they are gone aussies are finished. Lots of aussie greats retired in the past too but then also aussies never lost their consistency. P.S.- Why are you mentioning ponting's name with those players he is just 31.
I can see them going through a slump as they did in the mid 80s for a few years but, as they always do, will rise back to the top. To state the obvious, there's too much talent in Australia and it's the national game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can see them going through a slump as they did in the mid 80s for a few years
I can't, TBH. Rebel-tours are a thing of the past.

Now, if Hussey, Ponting, Hodge, Clark and Gillespie were all to abandon their team and do what Hughes, Yallop, Wessels, Hogg and Alderman did in 1984...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Presuming you're talking about ODIs here, Hayden is certainly no top ODI player and I can quite see Ponting going on for another 4 years in ODIs.

Without Gilchrist and McGrath, however, it'd be pretty clumsy to suggest they're likely to be the same force. 'Specially if Haddin actually tries to be Gilchrist like he did last night...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can see them going through a slump as they did in the mid 80s for a few years but, as they always do, will rise back to the top. To state the obvious, there's too much talent in Australia and it's the national game.
There's not 'too much talent', but rather, excellent structures in place to ensure that talent comes through at a fairly regular basis.

pup11

International Coach
The gap that all these greats have left between the aussies and the other sides is another thing that would help these newcomers to ease into the setup. In nie 80's the slump was more evident because there was a team like west indies which destroyed the aussies with their firepower, which is lacking in rest of the sides today.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The gap that all these greats have left between the aussies and the other sides is another thing that would help these newcomers to ease into the setup. In nie 80's the slump was more evident because there was a team like west indies which destroyed the aussies with their firepower, which is lacking in rest of the sides today.
West Indies certainly weren't the only team to beat Australia in 1984-1988\89 - everyone did pretty well (India even drew an away 3-Test series though they did fail to beat Aus at home) except Pakistan who played the last series before the period and the second one after it'd been ended (in 1989\90).