• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Asia Cup Thread

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Bah Sri Lanka as usual play well the whole tournament and screw up when it matters most in the finals. Rubbish fielding today which is rare. Kapu has had enough chances to make a name for himself and has been consistent with his poor performances. Bring on Chandimal and Jeevan Mendis already.

Surely there must be some other team among the millions of other teams in the world other than India. Honestly even if the next game between them is the best thing since sliced bread I would pay not to watch. Find some other team to play against, stupid SLC.

Rant over. :|
Don't despair yet. We have a test series with you guys next month. But actually I am looking forward to the series. Would be a measure of how good both the teams really are. The last test series in Sri Lanka really hurt and I hope this one is better.

hkjain

Cricket Spectator
Don't despair yet. We have a test series with you guys next month. But actually I am looking forward to the series. Would be a measure of how good both the teams really are. The last test series in Sri Lanka really hurt and I hope this one is better.
So, Ind vs SL test Series time. lol. I am fed with Ind vs SL matches. Don't you

AaronK

State Regular
Good to see Afridi geting man of the series..although, I didn't watch him making those centuries.. i just watched india vs. Pakistan.. that is all

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
He has a very average record in finals - 17 matches average of 31 but SR is 105. Unbelievable India has won only 1 of those 17, the Natwest finals.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just BTW, how do floodlights make the ball move around? I've heard it mentioned numerous times but just cannot work it why it happens or if the commentators are constantly merely referencing difficulty seeing movement under lights.

But yeh, Nehra is pretty alright in good conditions, gets just enough movement and just enough steep bounce. Shame he's not the rapido bowler we occasionally saw during WC2003, but age and injuries will obviously do that to a bowler.
I am not exactly sure and I have never been into science much... But I think it is not so much the lights as the atmosphere.. It is generally cooler in the nights and perhaps that aids movement... I have seen ball move around ridiculously when matches are held with 9 AM start in North Indian venues... So I guess cool conditions aid movement off the pitch..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Couple of days ago I wrote a article on Ind vs SL. I think they were almost on the world record to play ODI against each other.

I have been active member on many different forums ( at digitalpoint, slcricket, defence.pk). BTW, I run cricschedule if you know.
welcome mate.. :) I am sure you will find this a wonderful place to talk cricket.. Happy Posting!!!

jashan83

U19 Captain
I am not exactly sure and I have never been into science much... But I think it is not so much the lights as the atmosphere.. It is generally cooler in the nights and perhaps that aids movement... I have seen ball move around ridiculously when matches are held with 9 AM start in North Indian venues... So I guess cool conditions aid movement off the pitch..
Yes the cooler air comparatively helps more swing. Scientific reason is cooler air is more thick as compared to hot air. Hence in cooler temperature the difference between air pressures at Rough Side (Turbulent Flow) and Smooth Side (Laminar Flow) hence the swing factor also increases. Hence in countries which have more cold temperatures the swinging grounds are more than as compared to Sub Continent.

Also in sub continent due to more rough ground the wear and tear on ball is more. The difference between smooth and rough side quickly vanishes and ball looses swing.

Reverse Swing used by Pakistani bowlers specially is due to excess wear and tear. After excess wear and tear one side still becomes more rough than the other and the same logic of laminar and turbulent flow is used for reverse swing:cool:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes the cooler air comparatively helps more swing. Scientific reason is cooler air is more thick as compared to hot air. Hence in cooler temperature the difference between air pressures at Rough Side (Turbulent Flow) and Smooth Side (Laminar Flow) hence the swing factor also increases. Hence in countries which have more cold temperatures the swinging grounds are more than as compared to Sub Continent.

Also in sub continent due to more rough ground the wear and tear on ball is more. The difference between smooth and rough side quickly vanishes and ball looses swing.

Reverse Swing used by Pakistani bowlers specially is due to excess wear and tear. After excess wear and tear one side still becomes more rough than the other and the same logic of laminar and turbulent flow is used for reverse swing:cool:
Excellent stuff mate :) thanks

asham87

Cricket Spectator

Awesome post. Loved it:)