• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Ashes Thread***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
recent form is irrelevant McGrath is still the best fast bowler in the world by some way..
Recent form is never irrelevant if that form is poor.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
Only a complete fruitcake would take McGrath over Jones on the type of pitches later in the last Ashes series. Jones was taking 5-fers in no time whilst most other bowlers were struggling just to keep it tight without offering a wicket-taking threat - Warne and Flintoff being the other exceptions.
No one is denying Jones is a good swing bowler, but the pitch has nothing to do with swing.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
with the mcgrath issue I think he's passed it... I think come ashes time the jones v McGrath battle will be closer than a lot of you seem to be thinking. However I also think that Lee might get up over his rivals and be the bowler of the series (after Warnie maybe)...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As anyone who watched McGrath during the Australian summer would know, he was in fairly poor form in the tests against South Africa, but rediscovered it somewhat in the VB Series, where he was quite unlucky.

People have written McGrath off plenty of times before and he always comes back well. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had 2 or 3 more good years of test cricket in him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
As anyone who watched McGrath during the Australian summer would know, he was in fairly poor form in the tests against South Africa, but rediscovered it somewhat in the VB Series, where he was quite unlucky.

People have written McGrath off plenty of times before and he always comes back well. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had 2 or 3 more good years of test cricket in him.
I'd not be astonished, but I certainly wouldn't put money on it either. McGrath has a good action, a strong body and has never shown any signs of losing the hunger for the game, but no Australian born in the 20th century has played a Test against a Test-class team aged 40 or over except Bobby Simpson in exceptional circumstances (WSC).
McGrath obviously bowled well in the VB Series, even if he was unlucky he still got excellent figures.

Gottaluvcricket

Cricket Spectator
Richard said:
To suggest Lee is better than Hoggard and that either McGrath or Kasprowicz are better than Jones is frankly stupid.
Yes, all 3 are better than Harmison but that says little or nothing.
With any luck Bell, not Collingwood, will line-up - I simply can't see Collingwood scoring runs against a full-strength Australia, even with dropped catches.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Nice call, Dick. To entertain the thought that Jones even comes close to McGrath shows your lack of judgment, as does your call on Collingwood. I was there when Jones did his knee in 02, btw, and it was more to do with poor feilding technique then the hardness of the outfield. If soft outfields caused knee problems, most english players would have knee reconstructions by now.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Gottaluvcricket said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Nice call, Dick. To entertain the thought that Jones even comes close to McGrath shows your lack of judgment, as does your call on Collingwood. I was there when Jones did his knee in 02, btw, and it was more to do with poor feilding technique then the hardness of the outfield. If soft outfields caused knee problems, most english players would have knee reconstructions by now.
What the hell has this got to do with Simon Jone's fielding technique?? Plenty of Australians playing in State games have injured themselves at the Gabba fielding, not just English people.

Clearly BLE.

Gottaluvcricket

Cricket Spectator
Richard said:
Jones then suffered an injury which had more to do with soft outfields than hard pitches.....
Just commenting on some of the rediculas babble i read. I was refering to the softness of english outfields.

Last edited: