• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ashes Series Thread

Rich2001

International Captain
M.Hayden hits yet another 100

M.Hayden has hit his 10th Test 100, which continues his rich vain of form of the past year or so. This 100 is extra special as it is his first 100 against England in a Ashes encounter.

ML Hayden - 103* (129) 13 4's

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone who watched England massacre the Aussies in 1985 and 1986/87 won't be feeling much sympathy. That's me!! :D

What's the money on Hayden being 200+ at stumps?

Rich2001

International Captain
Update

- R.Ponting goes to 50 with a 6.

- Next ball also goes for 6 to take the Aussie total past 200

- M.Hoggard drops M.Hayden while on 104*, from what seems a simple chance at mid on area, the ball skied and Hoggard mis-jugdes.

After 52 overs

Aus - 224/1

M.Hayden - 109* (157)
R.Ponting - 74* (120)

Run Rate - 4.31 an over

Rich2001

International Captain
TEA: DAY 1 OF 5

Australia 233/1 (55.0 ov)

Australia RR: 4.24

M.Hayden - 110*
R.Ponting - 82*
J.Langer - 32

Caddick: 15 - 1 - 69 - 0
Hoggard: 15 - 1 - 57 - 0
Jones: 7 - 0 - 32 - 1
White: 6 - 0 - 29 - 0
Giles: 12 - 2 - 41 - 0

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Now 1/272 with Ponting getting his century. It's a bloodbath.

It was a poor decision by Hussain to bowl first. As mentioned above the Gabba pitch only holds its sting for the first 1-2 hours and then flattens out. I think Hussain was scared of facing McGrath and Gillespie on a juicy pitch first up. Now he has to face Warne last. The old saying goes if you win the toss you bat and if you're in doubt then you think about it then bat anyway.

I will be interested to see the Jones non-catch when I get home from work and it is not good for England that he got injured. Surely he won't play again this match.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
JONE'S INJURY

Unfortunatley for the English there best bowler Simon Jones has been told he will need a full knee reconstruction....

Not good for him and England...

But i think the whole team needs to learn how to catch.....

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
The famous quote while the game was going on between a convo of me and gregory blewett ( cricketwebs one )

L_o_D: I switched the tv off , too much to take for a kiwi

Greg: lol

L_o_D: Is one of them out yet

Greg: Where is Rich ( Rich2001 ) he had enough ?

L_o_D: "Oh he is getting his nations grave prepared"

Quote 2 from me : " Right now this game is just a poor show of slaughter the helpless sheep "

What more can i say a one sided start

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
new ball time, we will have to see if Caddick or Hoggard can do anything with it, 2/246 - Hyadne and Ponting both batter(or btting) very well

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by age_master
and its all over Aust 0/1 declared Hayden 1* The England 0 all out and 0 all out McGrath taking 4-0 and 7-0 and Gillespie taking 6-0 and 3-0

Good start to thge seriss
Wouldn't work as we wouldn't follow on!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rik
Darren "Boof" Lehmann and Craig "Oh No We Picked Him Again" White...Easy Peasy!:D

[Edited on 7/11/2002 by Rik]
Of course it is if you've got TMS on!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rik
Bloody Hell Jonesy gets a wicket then takes a superb catch! But they give Hayden out :( From what I heard that should have been given out.
Having seen it on TV this morning it wasn't out, and he did the right thing throwing it back into play to save the runs. A bit like that SL catch in the 99 World Cup, except that was given.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rich2001
Originally posted by Tim
95 mph!? are you serious?
His back & hips must take a hammering.
Yeah... it takes batsman by suprise to :D

And I get this feeling that the incident with Jones will haunt us now.... Hayden will score a big inngs now :(
How big though, is Lara under threat?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Tim
I think considering that Robert Key was in quite attacking form during the warm-ups that he should come in for John Crawley in the next test, its the only way England have a hope of beating Australia..you can't have batsmen who bat all day for 40 or 50 odd runs.

That was the secret to success for NZ, they played the likes of Astle, Cairns & McMillan. England must do the same.
Problem is his lack of experience batting in the middle order.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rik
Hell something allways has to go wrong! And the catch should have counted, he had enough control over the ball.
Clutching at straws Rik - he didn't have under enough control.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by aussie_beater
This appears to be turning into a run feast for the Aussies.

And what was the logic again of putting Australia into bat after winning the toss ? Was it overcast or the conditions really juicy in the morning ?
Bribed by the ACB so that it makes the weekend?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Top_Cat
Anyone who knows the 'Gabba will tell you it's quite a spicy pitch early on the first day of a match. But anyone who REALLY knows will tell you that it flattens out into a perfect batting wicket after lunch for the next 3 days............I guess that little tidbit escaped the English brains trust. Sure it LOOKS green early on but after a while, there's not much movement in the air or off the pitch for the quicks.
The thing is, I'd have backed our 2 to survive the early trouble, and then we may have been able to put down a score and take control.