• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really hope the pitch for the test is something similar to the one served up for the NSW v QLD Ford Ranger game the other week where there was a lot of bounce for the paceman and good turn for the spinners. Hard for the batsmen to get in, but once they were in there were runs. Would make a good contest IMO.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
I doubt MacGill will play as australia has already won plus they can't drop Clark. Unless they go with 5 bowlers dropping Symonds.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
True, could be the 1st SCG test that MacGill will miss in a long time. Could probably be the end of his excellent test career if we don't see him TBH..

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
England

AJ Strauss*
AN Cook
IR Bell
PD Collingwood
KP Pietersen
EC Joyce
CMW Read+
SCJ Broad
MJ Hoggard
SJ Harmison
MS Panesar

Mister Wright

aussie said:
True, could be the 1st SCG test that MacGill will miss in a long time. Could probably be the end of his excellent test career if we don't see him TBH..
If anyone's goig to be dropped for MacGill it has to be Lee. 8 wickets @ 50+ is just not good enough, no matter how good he looks or how much effort he puts in. The job of a bowler is to take wickets and Lee isn't doing that. But, MacGill isn't eactly saying to the selectors, "You must pick me!" with his performances of late.

Mister Wright

I reckon if Symonds fails again in Melbourne with the bat, the selectors should think about Cameron White for the 5th test. He is in fine form with the bat and could bat at 6 or 7 and although he hasn't bowled that well this season he could be another spinning option. Because the selectors don't want to drop Brett Lee despite he's not taking wickets it could be an option.

However, the talk is that Symonds will get the last 2 tests.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Symonds just isn't really good enough at Test level to be honest, he has been given more than enough chances to prove himself, and none have payed off. Look to the future, not the past.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The continued selection of Symonds is pretty amazing, but he's done an okay job with the ball in his test career so far. Not a great record or anything, but he's taken key wickets in a few tests now. If anything his bowling has exceeded expectations, while his batting has fallen well short.

It'd be great if Watson was fit, but as it is Symonds will definitely play the remaining tests and then it'll be curtains on his test career.

Last edited:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I have a cousin who is flying out to see this game. He is 19 and its his 7th holiday this year. Yes, seventh. He should be at work grafting, but instead he is constantly on holiday. I can at least take some pleasure out of him being miserable. :sleep:

I think there is a refund if the match goes for less than an hour of any day or something like that. Or on the 5th day as it sometimes is like 5 runs to get or something.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would be great to be there on the 5th day. Assuming the Test lasts that long...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Would do anything to fly down to Sydney now. But i could still see Warne at least twice over the next 2 years & McGrath if he goes to the WC. But it will be an even greater day than when Waugh retired..

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Would do anything to fly down to Sydney now. But i could still see Warne at least twice over the next 2 years & McGrath if he goes to the WC. But it will be an even greater day than when Waugh retired..
I was there when Waugh retired, great day. Still got the red flag things that were given out.