• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 4th Test at the Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad, 4 - 8 Mar 2021

karan_fromthestands

State Captain

This shortened video is gold.
4:30 is where he goes after the English reporter
But isn't he right here? I mean even I used to feel like the pitches aren't good every time there's turn from day 1(because of how the English press reacts and how people like Vaughan keep showing down their opinions down our throats, making us feel guilty for utilising the home advantage just like they do), but the English, SA or NZ bowlers getting green tops is totally fine, I mean even there the bowlers have it too easy on a lot of occasions. Also, he rightly pointed out that most pink ball games have ended like that(finished within 3 days).

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
"Please talk about Stuart Broad's 8 for 15, the wicket that he was bowling on in that match. What kind of a wicket was that? If the Test finishes in 2 or 3 days in seaming conditions where there is grass that's absolutely fine. But the moment it starts turning and bouncing, that's when you say it's not a 5-day wicket or a Test-match wicket,"

sunilz

International Regular
But isn't he right here? I mean even I used to feel like the pitches aren't good every time there's turn from day 1(because of how the English press reacts and how people like Vaughan keep showing down their opinions down our throats, making us feel guilty for utilising the home advantage just like they do), but the English, SA or NZ bowlers getting green tops is totally fine, I mean even there the bowlers have it too easy on a lot of occasions. Also, he rightly pointed out that most pink ball games have ended like that(finished within 3 days).
Lyon also pointed out the fact that nobody complained about pitch when AUS got bowled out for 47 and 60.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
He is so damn right! When SC batsmen fail in swinging/seaming conditions, we call them out (FTB/htb) and mock the team and so does the western media for their inability to play in conditions favouring seamers.

But when these certain nations come to India and lose on turners, their entire media, ex players, everyone associated with their cricket starts calling out the pitch as doctored or as poor or as unfit for cricket. Then the Indian media and some indian fans even buy that and agree with it! Its bull ****! So ashwin couldn't be more right.

If seaming pitches where team batting first can get rolled for sub 100 (after losing toss and put in to bat), if such pitches are acceptable and fair, which they happen to be because they barely ever get any criticism, then so are turners in sub continent (in fact when sub continent teams lose on greentops, the teams are ridiculed and there is barely any negative talk about the pitch)

Its like one type of pitch is heavily favouring seamers (where the first innings basically decides the outcome of the game) is fine so then there is another kind of pitch heavily favouring spinners --is and should be absolutely fine and just as "fair" as well, being two ends of the same spectrum.

I genuinely do hope that India gets some greentops in England and wins the toss as well, then it would be fun and would be great time to drive home the same points!

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nathan Lyon having a go at the critics of the 3rd Test Pitch-

Mind you, the Lords Test in 2018 only lasted 170 overs. Yet there was no uproar about that pitch nor did anyone say 'this is not test cricket' or that the match lasting 2 days has 'undermined the 5-day game'!
Always liked Lyon.

Kirkut

International Regular
He is so damn right! When SC batsmen fail in swinging/seaming conditions, we call them out (FTB/htb) and mock the team and so does the western media for their inability to play in conditions favouring seamers.

But when these certain nations come to India and lose on turners, their entire media, ex players, everyone associated with their cricket starts calling out the pitch as doctored or as poor or as unfit for cricket. Then the Indian media and some indian fans even buy that and agree with it! Its bull ****! So ashwin couldn't be more right.

If seaming pitches where team batting first can get rolled for sub 100 (after losing toss and put in to bat), if such pitches are acceptable and fair, which they happen to be because they barely ever get any criticism, then so are turners in sub continent (in fact when sub continent teams lose on greentops, the teams are ridiculed and there is barely any negative talk about the pitch)

Its like one type of pitch is heavily favouring seamers (where the first innings basically decides the outcome of the game) is fine so then there is another kind of pitch heavily favouring spinners --is and should be absolutely fine and just as "fair" as well, being two ends of the same spectrum.

I genuinely do hope that India gets some greentops in England and wins the toss as well, then it would be fun and would be great time to drive home the same points!
Spinners never command the same respect as fast bowlers, which is why greentops are favored over rank turners. Admit that fact.

Spark

Global Moderator
If SCG pitch is kept dry for few days , will it also behave like Asian pitches? ?
Climate mitigates against that somewhat tbh. Modern Australian pitches simply don't deteriorate as they use to, they just set like giants blocks of concrete in the heat.

Spark

Global Moderator
Tbh that pitch was definitely very borderline in terms of advantage for winning the toss but there was no way anyone was going to complain about it in the aftermath, the mockery for being sore losers would have been instant.

e: the 60ao pitch that is.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
What's the difference between Joe Root picking up 5 wickets on a turner vs Colin de Grandhomme looking like a potent test bowler on green tops. Both are average, but we have a problem with Root picking wickets but not Grandhomme looking like a million bucks in conditions that favour pace bowlers.

Flem274*

123/5
Then why India rolled over for under 200 in 3 out of 4 innings?
the same reason nz usually struggle in india - because they've sucked down here since the dawn of time. it took their best team ever against one of our worst ever on motorways to finally get the monkey off the back and score a crushing 1-0 series victory.

Flem274*

123/5
What's the difference between Joe Root picking up 5 wickets on a turner vs Colin de Grandhomme looking like a potent test bowler on green tops. Both are average, but we have a problem with Root picking wickets but not Grandhomme looking like a million bucks in conditions that favour pace bowlers.
ive seen cdg swing it in the uae. he's just a very good, very annoying medium pacer.