• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Spark

Global Moderator
If you are worried about your bowler workload, then you need a bowler, not half a bowler who can't even do his job without being 'managed' to prevent injuries. It is daft.

I personally agree with those who've said we need a batsman. The amount of overs I've seen Marsh put in in other tests does not relieve anyone. Anyone could do that job. Marsh gets his limited wickets because he is the easy option to go after. Smith could do that job. Warner could do that job and Lyon could definitely bowl a bit more to do that job, even at Perth. Maxwell would score more runs than Warner or Smith would leak as the fill in bowler instead of Marsh (all things going as expected)
*Sigh* do i have to go over it all again

Spark

Global Moderator
Saying that there's no difference between someone who averages <30 with the ball in fc cricket and somebody who averages 50 is the sort of thing so silly that it makes the supposed anger about the selection groundless.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saying that there's no difference between someone who averages <30 with the ball in fc cricket and somebody who averages 50 is the sort of thing so silly that it makes the supposed anger about the selection groundless.
Right but if the factor to be taken into consideration is giving time out to the main bowlers rather than take wickets (which let's face it Marsh is not gonna do anyways), then Maxi is a much better bargain.

Victor Ian

International Coach
gee you can be a condescending bastard. Yeah - go over it again. But keep in mind, I'm saying that for the limited overs he bowls a day......

Gob

International Coach
Right but if the factor to be taken into consideration is giving time out to the main bowlers rather than take wickets (which let's face it Marsh is not gonna do anyways), then Maxi is a much better bargain.
Why can't it be both giving rest and picking wickets?

MMarsh could do both. Maxwell will get hit out of the attack

the big bambino

International Captain
Guys has anyone got clarity on the likelihood of the pitch here? Always enjoyed watching quicks bowl at Perth on a bouncy and fast track, however a few of you have made reference to it playing like a paradise for batsmen recently?

Surely if the Aussies have any sense this will play as rapid as it often has been. given the sheer pace of their attack compared to the England seamers?
Its an advantage but not unbeatable. India beat us in 07/08 with 2 swing bowlers and tall bounce bowler. In contrast we had Lee, Johnson and Tait. Perth may well be the pitch that best suits England's bowlers. Presuming Eng don't bring in Wood they have the swing of Anderson, seam and bounce of Broad and bounce of Overton. Woakes is bowling well now. Moeen may not be a bad option at Perth as well, as far as spinners go over there. Should England fail at Perth I'd put a few quid on their batsmen rather than the bowlers.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

No fifth bowler gets hit out the park in tests really. Even Kohli doesn't. Maxi's bowling is better than Smith.

It can be both giving rest and taking wickets. But the third factor of scoring runs stacks it against Marsh.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook rarely looks good IMO

He either scores runs or he doesnt

But he has a fantastic test record, has had a very good 2017 before these 2 tests, deserves more faith and the cupboard is literally bare behind him
Anyone saying to drop Cook is off their heads. The alternative is Stoneman and Jennings/Hameed. That inspires confidence. Not.

Spark

Global Moderator
gee you can be a condescending bastard. Yeah - go over it again. But keep in mind, I'm saying that for the limited overs he bowls a day......
Yes, it still makes a significant difference that you have a good bowler instead of a bad bowler doing that job because it means they're more likely to actually bowl.

This has nothing to do with whether his batting is good enough or not.

Spark

Global Moderator
No fifth bowler gets hit out the park in tests really. Even Kohli doesn't. Maxi's bowling is better than Smith.

It can be both giving rest and taking wickets. But the third factor of scoring runs stacks it against Marsh.
Maxwell's isn't too bad, and again he should be picked. But remember that Smith wouldn't bowl him on recent history, which makes it kind of pointless.

TheJediBrah

Guys has anyone got clarity on the likelihood of the pitch here? Always enjoyed watching quicks bowl at Perth on a bouncy and fast track, however a few of you have made reference to it playing like a paradise for batsmen recently?

Surely if the Aussies have any sense this will play as rapid as it often has been. given the sheer pace of their attack compared to the England seamers?

**On a side note, Englands ODI team looks better than this test side!! Hales, Morgan and Buttler could all add some much needed aggression to what is a very passive batting line up.
You think that the Australian team has any say over the pitch? Or that they've shown any inclination to prepare pitches in their favour recently?

Victor Ian

International Coach

Most of the time Mitch bowls, he gets 0 wickets. Where do you come up with this assumption? Spend the time and explain it or just link the explanation rather than being a dick about it too. They both take a touch over 1 wicket per test. Maxwell has less tests but played his against the mighty subcontinental players of spin. Hard to say. In first class, Mitch gets a slight amount more wickets per game. Economy rates about equal. Admittedly I have not sat and watched these players, as you seem to have, but I fail to see how Maxwell can't hold down his end if the only reason he is there is to keep things tight. We are talking about relieving about 10 overs from the bowlers.

Anyway, my point is the team needs a batsman, not a bowler. If they want a bowler, get a real one. So waste your time for a poor dullard like me.

TheJediBrah

Most of the time Mitch bowls, he gets 0 wickets. Where do you come up with this assumption? Spend the time and explain it or just link the explanation rather than being a dick about it too. They both take a touch over 1 wicket per test. Maxwell has less tests but played his against the mighty subcontinental players of spin. Hard to say. In first class, Mitch gets a slight amount more wickets per game. Economy rates about equal. Admittedly I have not sat and watched these players, as you seem to have, but I fail to see how Maxwell can't hold down his end if the only reason he is there is to keep things tight. We are talking about relieving about 10 overs from the bowlers.

Anyway, my point is the team needs a batsman, not a bowler. If they want a bowler, get a real one. So waste your time for a poor dullard like me.
Marsh could potentially fill the role of a third seamer if required (ie. if someone goes down injured), Maxwell couldn't. If you pick Maxwell and Cummins breaks his foot or something then you're left with just 2 fast bowlers in a Perth test match, and a few part time spinners as back up

Victor Ian

International Coach
Marsh could potentially fill the role of a third seamer if required (ie. if someone goes down injured), Maxwell couldn't. If you pick Maxwell and Cummins breaks his foot or something then you're left with just 2 fast bowlers in a Perth test match, and a few part time spinners as back up
Now that makes sense, though I would never pick a side on the chance someone gets injured. If they get injured you suck it up. Mind you, you don't pick players who are likely to get injured. The current bowlers are picked because they are fit, regardless of their history. They spent their time out of the team getting over injuries and are fit again. If they are picking a guy who they expect to bowl a small amount of overs on the chance that someone might get injured, that is just crazy selection policy. If you are banking on an injury, get a real bowler in. If you are not, then fix the batting - Assuming they even change the team in the first place.

Spark

Global Moderator
Marsh's bowling is legitimate 3rd seamer quality. Maxwell's is not.

To discount Marsh's bowling because part timers are a thing is like discounting Moeen Ali's bowling because Joe Root can bowl.

TheJediBrah

Now that makes sense, though I would never pick a side on the chance someone gets injured. If they get injured you suck it up. Mind you, you don't pick players who are likely to get injured. The current bowlers are picked because they are fit, regardless of their history. They spent their time out of the team getting over injuries and are fit again. If they are picking a guy who they expect to bowl a small amount of overs on the chance that someone might get injured, that is just crazy selection policy. If you are banking on an injury, get a real bowler in. If you are not, then fix the batting - Assuming they even change the team in the first place.
It's definitely a gamble. I figure they've weighed up the risk/benefit and decided that the benefit of having the 3 big guns firing throughout the match is worth the risk of having one of them break down.

EggsOnToast

Cricket Spectator
Up until the last Shield game against Victoria, Marsh had bowled 9 over in 8 months. His bowling shouldn't even be taken into account when deciding on his selection. There is zero chance Smith will turn to to him with the ball given that the current bowling group have been managed perfectly well enough with Lyon soaking up one end and rotating the quicks at the other. If he makes the team, there's some Darren Lehmann ****ery afoot.