• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Bahseph

State Captain
De Swart is the only player so far that has really shown something this tour. And that is good for SA who have been looking for an allrounder. And importantly he is also a good age. So that's something.
Yeah I've been impressed with him. I understand why Mulder was the stand out and caught the selectors eye but RDS (could that stick like QDK?) has shown some steel. No great pace with the ball but willing to run in as well.

I think Bedingham has obviously shown he should be in the first XI. I think Conrad likes Brand so he will be around as well. With Markram, Bavuma and probably Verreynne back, there is still a batter slot available.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I've been impressed with him. I understand why Mulder was the stand out and caught the selectors eye but RDS (could that stick like QDK?) has shown some steel. No great pace with the ball but willing to run in as well.

I think Bedingham has obviously shown he should be in the first XI. I think Conrad likes Brand so he will be around as well. With Markram, Bavuma and probably Verreynne back, there is still a batter slot available.
Rickelton needs to be there as well... I'm not convinced with Brand as of yet. But I haven't watched enough to really judge.

Dendarii

International Debutant
De Swardt's definitely putting his hand up for the all-rounder spot. Mulder's the better bowler, but that's less important given the strength of our other bowlers, and Mulder just hasn't made runs at international level.

I would imagine De Zorzi will be there too.

SeamUp

International Coach
M Jansen is head and shoulders above everyone but we wanted guys sticking their hands up and De Swardt has done that.

Was chatting to a mate who was helping Dolphins selection with stats a few years ago and he said he felt so bad as he was always one of the players fighting for the 5th white player spot. Moving to North West hopefully gives him the chance to relax and perform. Red-ball is definitely his best format.

Bahseph

State Captain
M Jansen is head and shoulders above everyone but we wanted guys sticking their hands up and De Swardt has done that.

Was chatting to a mate who was helping Dolphins selection with stats a few years ago and he said he felt so bad as he was always one of the players fighting for the 5th white player spot. Moving to North West hopefully gives him the chance to relax and perform. Red-ball is definitely his best format.
@SeamUp , would you go all in and try and turn Jansen into a proper 7? He isn't in Tests for me. Could get away with it in LO cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
@SeamUp , would you go all in and try and turn Jansen into a proper 7? He isn't in Tests for me. Could get away with it in LO cricket.
I have been saying no ways but his batting just keeps improving.

Agree though, keep seeing it in ODIs and maybe certain times in tests but I wouldn't want us to go all out on the 6/1/4 again like we were doing. But then again a lot also depends who our WK is and if they can contribute in tests ie Rickelton (pure bat?) Stubbs (pure bat?). Verreynne has been dominant in FC but those loose flaying with no feet moving is being found out in tests.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Watching some of the first session Brand and van Tonder seem to have a similar backlift to Foxcroft. Wonder if it's similar coaching or emulating Graeme Smith.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I have been saying no ways but his batting just keeps improving.

Agree though, keep seeing it in ODIs and maybe certain times in tests but I wouldn't want us to go all out on the 6/1/4 again like we were doing. But then again a lot also depends who our WK is and if they can contribute in tests ie Rickelton (pure bat?) Stubbs (pure bat?). Verreynne has been dominant in FC but those loose flaying with no feet moving is being found out in tests.
With the number of left arm pacers running around at the moment him turning into a more batting allrounder is not the worst...

Dendarii

International Debutant
There's definitely something to work with in terms of Jansen's batting and him becoming a proper all-rounder isn't beyond the realms of possibility. I don't think he's there yet though, and would keep him a 8 in the test side until he's got some more runs under his belt. At the moment he's averaging 23.58 with just two fifties, which isn't enough to justify moving up in the order.

SeamUp

International Coach
Watching some of the first session Brand and van Tonder seem to have a similar backlift to Foxcroft. Wonder if it's similar coaching or emulating Graeme Smith.
Not entirely sure but I would be surprised. Strong bottom-hand grips? Interestingly Faf Du Plessis & Theunis de Bruyn (vd Dussen leg-side dominant but not same grip) have that same weird grip and they come from the same union as Foxcroft did and more specifically vd Dussen and de Bruyn went to Menlopark which is the same school Foxcroft went too.

I don't mind leg-side dominant players if they scoring runs but its the reason I love watching Breetzke out of all our next gen players with his off-side play. It brings back memories of Gibbs, Kallis and Cullinan.

Flem274*

123/5
Trying to turn Jansen into a balanced allrounder is a waste of a potential ATG bowling allrounder in pursuit of Ian Botham, especially when you're more likely to end up with James Franklin (another solid left arm seamer who tried to do this).

Big_Gun

Cricket Spectator
Pitch looks Flat.
Hopefully NZ can bowl SA out early, Southee looking average
I like this team, But Jamieson intstead of O'Rourke againt Aussie
I the Wagner bowled well, He was getting good swing, good bouncers, even took the second new ball
on this pitch Williamson to get 32nd ton.

Owzat

U19 Captain
There's definitely something to work with in terms of Jansen's batting and him becoming a proper all-rounder isn't beyond the realms of possibility. I don't think he's there yet though, and would keep him a 8 in the test side until he's got some more runs under his belt. At the moment he's averaging 23.58 with just two fifties, which isn't enough to justify moving up in the order.
mostly batted 7 and 8, one knock at #6 and 48 scored. Pick of his averages, and his HS so far, #7, 3 not outs batting #8

2no vs NZL left high and dry as the rest managed 85 runs between them
37no vs NZL coming in when SAF 277/6 so helped add 87 before being left stranded
23no vs WIN helping the lower order add 71, against left stranded

point being his ability is wasted that low, 1st innings batting #7 his fails have come when SAF were bowled out for 152 and 55, otherwise 175 from 4 knocks with an 84no, worth pursuing

and whilst their tail does look a bit long at times that isn't going to help him unless he sticks it and guides them which is an onerous responsibility, something perhaps the keeper or even Bavuma at #7 might relish more