• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Cricket for WCs only

Agreed. Few ODI matches here and there is fine but the series have no value at all. Tbf T20 series have no value as well but they do draw the money and new audiences. Test is ofc the highest level of the game plus the marquee series are remembered for decades.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Agreed..
I don't like what ODI cricket has become, it used to be a tool to grow the game, we used to play it all over the world , have fun tri series and quadrangular series ...
Invite associates to come and play at the World Cup,players would respect the format and give their all ..

Now you have these meaningless ODI series where teams hardly play their best players , the odi world cups shut out even Test nations these days, players are retiring from the format to play T20 leagues, or unretire just before a big tournament, the crowds in most parts aren't what they used to be.. even the game itself is now just a longer version of T20.

If less ODIs can free up the Calender for more Tests I'm all for it.

Socerer 01

International Captain
we dont see the best players play in t20s, we don’t seem them play in odis and most of the teams don’t play tests either

just wtf are these players playing then???

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
we dont see the best players play in t20s, we don’t seem them play in odis and most of the teams don’t play tests either

T10s obviously...

But srsly they don't play T20Is but they all play T20s if they are selected by franchises.

Silver Silva

International Debutant

T20 domestic leagues, T20 in internationals generates the most money for boards so it won't be going anywhere

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
No.

If anything T20Is should be abolished aside from WCs. Let them be primarily a franchise thing.
Agree with this. Bilateral t20Is are even less meaningful than bilateral ODIs.

Overall I still dig 50 over cricket more than T20. Have lot of nostalgia about 50 over cricket to accept its demise.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You can’t just play the format at the World Cup because you’ll wind up with players who don’t know how to play it.

There’s no need to ever return to 7 ODI series but if it was up to me we’d go back to a token T20I prior to an ODI series. Even JAMODIs feel like they have some meaning attached to it that a non WC T20 doesn’t.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
How will teams pick their ODI WC squads if no one has played any, and how will teams be selected for the tournament without any ranking/qualifying system?

In an ideal world all countries would follow 3-3-3 tours (3 T20is, 3 ODIs, and 3 tests).

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How will teams pick their ODI squads if no one has played any, and how will teams be selected for the tournament without any ranking/qualifying system?

In an ideal world all countries would follow 3-3-3 tours (3 T20is, 3 ODIs, and 3 tests).
I prefer longer Test series but as a general rule this works

Though I don’t really mind the Test and limited overs tours being split

Ali TT

International Debutant
I think the solution is obvious. End bilateral ODI series but keep smaller cups and the WC.
Yeah, with this.

Dead format. They tried to make ODIs more relevant by creating a league but then got rid of it cause the big teams didn't give a ****. Getting rid of ODIs would probably raise the profile of T20Is as well.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't even know where to start with this gormless idea, promoted by one of the most archetypal company men the game has ever seen. It actually makes me wild discussing it.

For a start, as said above, you can't run a tournament every four years and not allow cricketers to gain an appreciation of how to play that format. That's ridiculous.

Secondly, T20Is are not 'supernatural'. Hardly anyone gives a **** about them. The power lies with franchises, and if you want to destabilise international cricket further, then sure - by all means get rid of non-WC ODIs. Then we can pack in more T20Is which are basically an audition ground for franchise cricket. What a wonderful system that promises to be...international cricket as a bit of a matinee and a trial run for the big show in franchise cricket. Let's pass all the power of our game over to oil tycoons. Sounds like a winning strategy.

Thirdly, what power does the MCC to have any say in how international cricket is run? Is it my understanding that it's essentially zero?

The lack of intelligence that I read so often from people who should know better, high up in the chain of power in cricket is incredible. So often it's 'thing not working, me throw thing out now' in regards to viewership of Tests & ODIs. We can do better. Whether it's franchise windows, a less is more approach on quality of ODI cricket, people are paid good money to come up with better strategies than 'it's not making money, let's **** can it'.

The thing that would actually work (as PEWS said) is getting rid of T20Is apart from World Cups. That wouldn't be an issue because people would actually be playing them, and it would be quite a novel thing to watch - as opposed to the boring tripe that is T20I cricket now. Have a World Cup every year if you like, or every non ODI World Cup year. Or have less series' with more meaning - ie a T20 version of the old Commonwealth/VB/Tri Series'. Unlikely to happen, however, because it seems like TV loves D/N T20Is, as do national boards by proxy.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, with this.

Dead format. They tried to make ODIs more relevant by creating a league but then got rid of it cause the big teams didn't give a ****. Getting rid of ODIs would probably raise the profile of T20Is as well.
Would it? ODIs are already out of fashion, and that hasn't seemed to add anything to the allure of T20Is. To me, the issue with T20Is lie two-fold - a lot of people who like them aren't heavily emotionally invested in cricket, and aren't loyal to the overall product. And people who are emotionally invested, just don't get a lot of joy out of them. They have no relevance. They're a meaningless cash cow.

This is why LIV golf v the PGA Tour has become such a vexed issue. Once you hand over the power in your sport to the oil barons, the billionaires, the cashed-up bigwigs looking for a plaything...you're ****ed. Once they get bored of it, it ceases to exist. Same with the fans, if you give them some flash new, Youtube Reel-style quick satisfying hit, once they've got bored of that, off they run to the next shiny thing. It has no longevity. It has no historical relevance. Majors in golf have historical relevance, it gives meaning to the sport. Performance in Tests and ODIs provides that. T20 does nothing for that, neither does LIV. Without it, your sport has no backbone and no lifespan. I think it's incredibly dangerous to try and build a product (international cricket) around a format that has no real hype or loyalty at that level if you're trying to hold up the fact that playing for your country is, and needs to continue to be the pinnacle. What international sport survives without history, without hype, without column inches, without emotional buy-in? T20I has none of that.

This is something that someone like Mark Nicholas should understand, but clearly either doesn't, or as I believe, would rather be a patsy for whatever organisation he's currently on the teat of.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
T20Is are the most irrelevant. Need to reduce them first.

ODI cricket is already being played a lot less, compared to 5 years ago. Teams are only playing 10-20 matches a year and most bilateral series are just 3 matches long. So I don't see why MCC is crying right now. ODI cricket is being played wayyyy less so is not a significant problem at the moment.

In fact, it's the overkill of endless Francise cricket and endless T20Is with world cup every 2 years that is causing the problem. So need to cut from that! Since Francise cricket will only grow, should look to reduce T20I bilaterals and world cups, especially if they also going to have T20Is at the olympics too. Can't have 2 world cups and an olympics T20 tournament all in a 4 year period. Ridiculous overkill.

T20 World cup 2021
T20 World cup 2022
T20 World cup 2024
T20 World cup 2026 in Ind/SL
T20 @Olympics 2028
T20 World cup 2028 in Aus/NZ
T20 World cup 2030 in UK