• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ tour Queensland

Flem274*

123/5
Houghton's a 22 year old lower order bat and slow-left arm bowler. He's only played a couple of games of 20:20 so far, but he looked to have the goods. Struggles to get selected ahead of Jeets and Luke Woodcock in Wellington colours - he may need to move to get the opportunities he needs.

Southee's 18 - not a real quick, but he's damn good for a youngun. I like his accuracy for a start - he already looks to be more reliable than Jimmy Franklin ;)
Sounds good for ODIs at least.

Accuracy? This guy is a godsend. Accuracy is a trait that has been lacking in recent years.

2011 onwards we are going to have a deadly bowling line up imo. Look at the blokes coming through. Southee, Bennet, Sherlock, Anderson, to name a few.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, I spotted it immediately. A quote that doesn't have the little view-post icon always tends to catch my eye, as it's always obviously been done the non-natural way.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah, I spotted it immediately. A quote that doesn't have the little view-post icon always tends to catch my eye, as it's always obviously been done the non-natural way.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt then.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea of the quality of the opposition we're up against?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt then.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea of the quality of the opposition we're up against?
Presumably these are the state sides from South Africa, Victoria and Tasmania, in which case we'll be up against the likes of Darren Lehmann, Jason Gillespie and David Hussey.

Julian87

State Captain
Imo Franklin, Mills and Vettori would make a very good lower-middle order in both forms of the game. There is no reason why they couldn't bat 7, 8, 9 in a test match imo. Would also allow for 5 bowlers plus the likes of Styris and Oram who can concentrate 100% on their batting.

brockley

International Captain
Good pre season warm up for the aussie sides,suprised no qld,the tour should have been more comprehensive with 4 day games against the states.Maybe this will see further NZ A tours to australia,a comprehensive tour would have been good with NZ touring next season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Imo Franklin, Mills and Vettori would make a very good lower-middle order in both forms of the game. There is no reason why they couldn't bat 7, 8, 9 in a test match imo. Would also allow for 5 bowlers plus the likes of Styris and Oram who can concentrate 100% on their batting.
Would Oram make the team as a batsman alone though? It's quite debatable IMO. His record is good and all but I know who I'd rather see batting for me out of Sinclair and Oram...

Flem274*

123/5
Would Oram make the team as a batsman alone though? It's quite debatable IMO. His record is good and all but I know who I'd rather see batting for me out of Sinclair and Oram...
To make the team Oram would need to:

1) Find some form

2) Bat higher than 6/7/8

3) Build a better technique, especially against spin

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oram shouldn't mate the team on his batting alone, but it wouldn't surprise me that if they told him to concentrate solely he'd turn into a decent prospect.