• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I don't know much about McKenzie but he could make the side on bowling alone. Keen to see how he bats
I've never seen him play.

But whenever I've seen him in scorecards (usually in 12-a-side gamez that then get lost in the ether) that pop up on the NZC website he scored hundreds at better than run a ball. I'm sure he doesnt do this every time, though ....

I'd assumed he was going the rugby route, hence the lack of selection. I mean, I guess a 35 year old journeymen is better value than a 22 year old who is going to be playing a different sport in a year's time?

Or, not.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I've never seen him play.

But whenever I've seen him in scorecards (usually in 12-a-side gamez that then get lost in the ether) that pop up on the NZC website he scored hundreds at better than run a ball. I'm sure he doesnt do this every time, though ....

I'd assumed he was going the rugby route, hence the lack of selection. I mean, I guess a 35 year old journeymen is better value than a 22 year old who is going to be playing a different sport in a year's time?

Or, not.
I just remembered, after it was mentioned on air, he was impressive in the last Black Clash for team rugby. NZC should throw opportunity at this kid because he could be the real deal

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't work out how to watch this overseas but looks like good biffing from Cam Fletcher. I made a post a year ago that he, Clarkson and Duggeh had the stand-out records as lower-order hitters in the super smash. There are lots that bat up the order in domestix, but NZ have often been short of a good 6/7 and surely it helps if you bat 5 or lower for your domestic side. Fletcher's one I wouldn't have minded get a few more chances in JAM white ball matches to see how he goes.

(that's this week's domestic cricket over-reaction cos someone hit a six)

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Why was Delport shirt-fronting young McKenzie after the game, and making ape noises in his ear for 6 or 7 seconds?

jcas0167

International Debutant
I don't know much about McKenzie but he could make the side on bowling alone. Keen to see how he bats

As I type he gets his third. What a dayboo
Yeah, I only knew of his rapid fire centuries whenever he seems to play for Auckland A but his bowling looked outstanding. Best dual sporting prospect since Jeff Wilson (haven't seen him play rugby tbf)?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I only knew of his rapid fire centuries whenever he seems to play for Auckland A but his bowling looked outstanding. Best dual sporting prospect since Jeff Wilson (haven't seen him play rugby tbf)?
First guy to play for Auckland in both code since Graham Gedye in the 50s. Incredibly impressive effort.

Jock also joins the Olo Brown/Sam Whitelock All Stars as someone whos name describes him perfectly

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Rachin and Macewell back to play ND. This should be a hammering.
ND won the Super Smash last year, with basically the same squad - looking at the team that beat ND in the final, only Santner has been largely unavailable.

This is like shooting Bambi but I listened to BJ talk on the mic during the Aces game at the Mount, was pretty uninspiring stuff. He was an incredible player and team mate, and time will tell, but not everyone is a ready-made coach.

First thing they need to drop is drop Henry Cooper, who has 27 runs in 5 knocks at a strike rate of 71 this season (unless they decide they want his bowling, in which case bat him where those numbers suit).

Immenso

Watling and ND, in this format at this stage of the comp should be writing it off and look at it as an opportunity to blood a young player or two.

For the ongoing health of the association.

Watling is an ND man through and through. Not a fly-in pro coach with zero care outside how his CV will look if he starts to tank with some kids. He could carry it off.

In their last match they're basically using their 15th and 16th choices from their 16 man contracted squad. Who are a 33 year old fringe player and a 30 year old not suited to this format.

I've said before my opinion that the 16th (and possibly 15th) contracted position is resulting in a a stifling of youth. Coaches just don't go outside their squads.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rachin and Macewell back to play ND. This should be a hammering.
Is Robinson injured? I see he's not in the matchday squad and missed the last game too (apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I've been out tramping and missed the last Wellington game as a result)

The Hutt Rec

Is Robinson injured? I see he's not in the matchday squad and missed the last game too (apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I've been out tramping and missed the last Wellington game as a result)
Yep, he picked up some sort of injury in the game before last. Don’t think it’s been reported anywhere what it is exactly.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In their last match they're basically using their 15th and 16th choices from their 16 man contracted squad. Who are a 33 year old fringe player and a 30 year old not suited to this format.

I've said before my opinion that the 16th (and possibly 15th) contracted position is resulting in a a stifling of youth. Coaches just don't go outside their squads.
9 of that side v the Aces played in the Super Smash final last year. The only ones who didn't were Fred Walker and Kristian Clarke, who have decent reputations. I dunno, I know T20 is a fickle game, and we probably shouldn't base coaching chops on that format. But ND playing such putrid cricket with basically the same squad as they won with last year is not great. They're a mess of guys in the wrong roles and bowlers who can't execute.

Should be pointed out that ND are on top of the table in the Plunket Shield, and 2nd in the Ford Trophy. Again, too early to tell but that would line up with the experience and expertise BJ had as a player

jcas0167

International Debutant
Wellington fared poorly under him in the white ball comps last year. Santner would make a big difference to the side but the top order haven't fired. Katene Clarke had a great Super Smash last season but hasn't really gotten going. Not sure T20 is Cooper's format and he has been out of form too.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Wellington extremely poor so far in todays game….Greenwood can’t buy a run, Kelly ran Ravindra out…just sold him down the river, then Abbas out in soft fashion. So poor.