• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Nikhil Hearing* Details Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Thus resulting in the whole process starting all over again.
How is it fair if we're being restricted in both number of witnesses and number of questions we can ask them?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There should neither be a restriction on the number of witnessess nor the number of questions, it is unfair and should be unconstitutional. How is it fair on either party, if they cannot call as many witnessess or ask as many questions as they need to present their case?

Don't we want to get this over-and-done-with in one go? Please don't put these restrictions on both parties, as the last thing we need is a lengthy appeal process.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd like to give in to all these demands of unlimited this and that, but the fact is that we don't have an unlimited amount of time. This hearing must not drag on for weeks upon months.

If an unlimited number of questions are allowed, then a witness can technically be questioned for months at a time. That's not what we're looking for. Besides, aside from 'leading the witness' why would there possibly be a need for more than 10 questions?

Also, I'm all but certain that there are no more than 5 relevant witnesses for each party. If either side can state categorically otherwise then it will be reviewed. Categorically does not mean "believe me, there are" or any such speculatory nonsense.

That's a total of 40 questions, where a question such as "If so why?" would constitute part of a question. Why would there be any need for more?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'd like to give in to all these demands of unlimited this and that, but the fact is that we don't have an unlimited amount of time. This hearing must not drag on for weeks upon months.

If an unlimited number of questions are allowed, then a witness can technically be questioned for months at a time. That's not what we're looking for. Besides, aside from 'leading the witness' why would there possibly be a need for more than 10 questions?

Also, I'm all but certain that there are no more than 5 relevant witnesses for each party. If either side can state categorically otherwise then it will be reviewed. Categorically does not mean "believe me, there are" or any such speculatory nonsense.

That's a total of 40 questions, where a question such as "If so why?" would constitute part of a question. Why would there be any need for more?
Well, if you are asking a series of questions that are leading to a predicted outcome, but the witness throws you a curveball, you should be able to then follow that line of questioning. It would seem a bit silly to stop a prosecutor or a defendant asking questions when they are needed. Then, those questions may lead to the need to call a witness not originally intended. There needs to be allocation for this. I'm not saying that either team will be asking more than 10 quesitons or calling more witnessess, but they shouldn't be limited.

Perhaps the judge is the best person to adjudicate on this matter during the preceedings.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Mister Wright said:
Well, if you are asking a series of questions that are leading to a predicted outcome, but the witness throws you a curveball, you should be able to then follow that line of questioning. It would seem a bit silly to stop a prosecutor or a defendant asking questions when they are needed. Then, those questions may lead to the need to call a witness not originally intended. There needs to be allocation for this. I'm not saying that either team will be asking more than 10 quesitons or calling more witnessess, but they shouldn't be limited.

Perhaps the judge is the best person to adjudicate on this matter during the preceedings.
"Defence or prosecution may appeal for further questions if necessary. These will be granted at the discretion of the moderating party (CWBCC) pending their need."

NikhilN

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Depends on the date confirmed by the prosecution.
So the defence wont have a say in the date at all? If they are busy or not doesnt matter at all?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
NikhilN said:
So the defence wont have a say in the date at all? If they are busy or not doesnt matter at all?
dont you read?? this case is all about you and you still dont bother to read the details.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nnanden said:
dont you read?? this case is all about you and you still dont bother to read the details.
Ease up. There are nicer ways to put such a point across. I do agree with the point though.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ease up. There are nicer ways to put such a point across. I do agree with the point though.
my apologies to Nikhil. i will attempt to rephrase my queries in the future.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, the prosecution is all ready, and as already stated by the powers that be, that is all that matters.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
along with the jury and judges anyway. ofcourse if you want to run this out over its course and do it when we are not avaliable nikhil will be able to have an appeal based on inadequate representation... . thats ofcourse if you want to drag it ourt even farther than necessary...

NikhilN

International Regular
Can the hearing be on from Monday-Friday and nothin going on weekends? If thats alright with the Marc and the board. I would really like that please

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
If needs be, the hearing will recess from the 23rd to the 27th.

its more the 25th to the 1st that im worried about (though im sure the court would be closed the 26th, 27th and 28th anyways as they are public holidays)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Why the need for jurors, witnesses, and numerous defence and prosecution lawyers?

As someone said, it's a sentencing - having sat through a couple for work, all that happens is the prosecution gives a suggested sentence, highlighting the aggravating factors - followed by the defence, which highlights the mitigating factors.

The judge then decides on the sentence using the information before him including a summary report.

I suppose you have your procedures set in place, but it all seems a bit unnecessary - his guilt has been determined, it's a simple matter of sentencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.