• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next Australian Captain

Smith vs the field

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riggins

International Captain
Who would you put your money on to take over from Tim Paine as the next skipper?

On one hand it's likely that no matter how well he does on return Smith will never get the job again. On the other hand if not him then who tf gets it; Head, Handscombe, Marsh? jfc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Warner :ph34r:

But seriously I think it'll be Head or Cummins (I don't want to think about the possibility of it being Smith again).

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You'd hope Paine has two years left.

Cummins would be my choice but you'd always be reluctant to give it to a quick bowler, especially one with a propensity for injury.

Alex Carey might be a chance to come in and replace Paine as keeper and captain somewhere down the line? Cant think of too many other likely candidates outside of Warner or Smith.

Khawaja does captain Queensland, but I just dunno.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Carey's close to being ready for the test team. He needs to find some scoring shots more consistently first.

The carbon rod would do as good a job as any.

Riggins

International Captain
You'd hope Paine has two years left.

Cummins would be my choice but you'd always be reluctant to give it to a quick bowler, especially one with a propensity for injury.

Alex Carey might be a chance to come in and replace Paine as keeper and captain somewhere down the line? Cant think of too many other likely candidates outside of Warner or Smith.

Khawaja does captain Queensland, but I just dunno.
Yeah you'd think Paine has 2-3 years despite not being able to bat. Carey might do it at some point but surely wouldn't be a straight swap and captain immediately. Don't think Khawaja will be there still and everyone else is wildly underwhelming.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have more doubts over Head's ability to stay in the side than I do over his actual captaincy. If he can secure his place he'd be a good choice IMO.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are people talking about Carey as a captain when he hasn't even done the job for the Redbacks? They could have went to him for the JLT Cup captaincy but they chose Joof instead

aussie tragic

International Captain
I can now see why Bob Simpson came back in 1977-8 when the side had no viable captains (due WSC).

Maybe Ponting to do the same (he's younger than Simpson was)

Red

Why are people talking about Carey as a captain when he hasn't even done the job for the Redbacks? They could have went to him for the JLT Cup captaincy but they chose Joof instead
Lack of other candidates I guess. His leadership has been noted for a while. He was an inaugural captain of GWS in the AFL before he went back to cricket. Obviously has leadership qualities.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Lack of other candidates I guess. His leadership has been noted for a while. He was an inaugural captain of GWS in the AFL before he went back to cricket. Obviously has leadership qualities.
I don't doubt he could become a good captain, it's just odd that his country is interested in that but his state doesn't seem to be.

Then again, it is SACA. Logic and reason need not apply

cnerd123

likes this
it's just odd that his country is interested in that but his state doesn't seem to be.
Not sure about Australia, or this situation with Carey, but I thought this was pretty common around the world? Given International guys won't be around playing domestic/club cricket all season, it makes sense for the skipper to be someone else, and that if a international team captain returns to play some domestic cricket they don't automatically become captain themselves?
And even in the case of young up and coming cricketers with leadership potential - it's not often they get fast tracked into domestic captaincy just because the national team is interested in them. Usually the interests of domestic teams and the international side don't align that way.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say Paine has it till after the ashes and depending on how that goes they will look again ahead of the next Aussie summer/any other tour planned. It is difficult to see Smith or Warner ever being captain once they return so they could do with Paine winning some games to make him a viable option longer term.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Can't believe all these calls for Carey. How about getting in the team first and establishing himself before being captain. Also, as he would be replacing Paine as WK he'd have to made captain in his debut test....not gonna happen

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah honestly it should be Khawaja if he's still around. Give Head until he's closer to 30. I don't really like captains as young as Smith was when he took over. Even Clarke was a bit young in my mind.

Red

Can't believe all these calls for Carey. How about getting in the team first and establishing himself before being captain. Also, as he would be replacing Paine as WK he'd have to made captain in his debut test....not gonna happen
Yeh, that's pretty much the whole conversation, innit? The fact that there aren't a lot of viable options so it might be something left field.

If it's not going to be a bowler, and Mitch Marsh doesn't magically find consistency, and Khawaja's already been overlooked for Paine, then Carey suddenly doesn't seem so out there. Even if it was a debut captaincy situation.

I guess Head is the other option, but I really don't know that he's test material long term.

Red

I guess if the indication that Carey is in their thoughts is if he is made ODI captain after the WC. That will probably reveal something.