• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Somerset CCC 2003

This is the new forum for www.somersettalk.co.uk which is shortly moving to be hosted by Cricket Web. Relatively new unofficial site for all fans of leather on willow, particularly of the Somerset persuasion.

Sort of thing to appear here will be these kind of questions:

Were Somerset fans too harsh regarding the signing of Nixon McLean? We collectively wept from memory.

What will happen to Somerset if Blackwell and Richard Johnson get picked for England in the summer?

What will Taunton's pitches be like now we have alienated the best award-winning groundsman in the country who has had enough at Somerset?

Why are Somerset sniffing round Ian Salisbury when we should be looking to bag Graham Hick from Worcestershire!

Feel free to spread the word.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
McLean's a reasonable signing IMO.

No need to worry about losing Johnson to England, but Blackwell may appear in the One Day Series'

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
County cricket 2003

Noffke's already signed for Middlesex. In fact, Aussies signed up for 2003 in England already are:

Cox
Warne
Noffke
Brad Hodge or
Danny Marsh,
Michael Di Venuto
Ian Harvey
Martin Love
Stuart Law
Andrew Symonds
Mike Hussey
Stuart Macgill
Michael Kasprowicz
Matthew Elliott
Darren Lehmann

Not a bad bunch all in all......

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be interested to see with MacGill, There has been talk from Steve Rixon(NSW Coach) that NSW will be looking to import a spinner from either interstate or overseas due to MacGill's poor performances this season....

So he could be playing for his future....

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, macgill has bowled crap this year, hes getting smashed around by ryan harris at the moment :P i personally,

Players that i would want on my county team
HAyden
Ponting
Clarke
Gilchrist
McGrath
B Lee
J Gillespie (provided he didn't injure himself)
Bracken
Haddin

thats not including the above list

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
MacGill

A very good friend of mine used to play in the same Devon local cricket team as Stuart MacGill when he was living in the West Country for a while. Said farmers used to whack him everywhere, same England can't do the same really!

www.somersettalk.co.uk

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Happy with Laraman

Yes he seems like one who has potential but whether it blossoms is anyone's guess. Somerset seem to be really happy that he's............TALL!!

We're after Leics Sutcliffe and still chasing Dighton though there are worries about red tape. Rumour of Salisbury from Surrey too!

www.somersettalk.co.uk

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by jf2001
A very good friend of mine used to play in the same Devon local cricket team as Stuart MacGill when he was living in the West Country for a while. Said farmers used to whack him everywhere, same England can't do the same really!

www.somersettalk.co.uk
IMO MacGill is a very ordinary bowler...
He is very erratic and rarely keeps it tight...
He has his good balls but in Aussie domestic cricket he gets carted....

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Best Somerset XI for 2003

Trescothick
Wood
Burns
Cox
Bowler
Blackwell
Turner
Laraman
McLean
Caddick
Johnson

In that team, you have bowling of Johnson, Caddick, McLean and Laraman with spin of Blackwell. The batting strength is meaty with all all eleven having hit a first class fifty (not sure of Nixon for Hants). I fully expect this team to get Somerset promoted.
Back-up:

Dighton (if he signs, would play him)
Bulbeck
Holloway
Jones
Parsons
Dutch

What are people's thoughts on this team and how it rates alongside say Warwickshire or other counties??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A bit harsh on Bulbeck I reckon that team!

Also, Caddick and Trescothick probably won't be available, well, Tres won't anyway...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Trescothick - Knight 0.5-0.5
Wood - Powell 1-1
Burns - Troughton 1-2
Cox - Bell 2-2
Bowler - Ostler 2.5-2.5
Blackwell - Wagh 2.5-3.5
Turner - Piper 3-4
Laraman - Giles 3-5
McLean - Carter 3.5-5.5
Caddick - Bond 4-6
Johnson - Brown 4.5-6.5
I've left out Kumble as he's not 100% certain yet, and tried to compare like for like, but think the Bears would just edge it.