• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New to hard ball cricket

jewelthief

Cricket Spectator
I am 32 years old immigrant in New Zealand from Pakistan. As the new cricket season is starting here in NZ so I decided to play cricket. I am a reasonable batsman (or thats what I think at least) but almost all of cricket that I have played is with tennis ball back in Pakistan.

Anyway I decided to try my luck in a warm up match (Yeah...Not practice) which was being played on a cemented and matted wicket. Before my turn in the batting, I thought it would be easy and I will at least rotate the strike but to my surprise I couldn't even middle a single ball even to the spinners. I stayed there for 20 balls in which almost 10 were completely missed. From rest of the 10 balls, I nicked three catches to slips (which were dropped :laugh:) finally getting caught behind on the fourth nick.

Although It was my first experience with proper hard ball cricket in many years but I couldn't believe that how bad I played. It was utmost embarrassment. Even the balls that were coming straight and on which I thought I would straight drive them easily, were going to square leg after hitting the bat. I was like What the hell.....

Is it that hard to switch from tennis ball to hard ball cricket? What were your experiences?

My reflection:
1) I should buy a cricket gear of my own as the friend's cricket I used was bigger in size which is why I was not comfortable probably.
2) I over rated myself and I am not good enough to bat although this will break my heart.

OR am I just another Pakistani batsman?:mellow:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You just need to get used to the pace and bounce of a cricket ball. Tennis balls slow down a lot after pitching and that's where the problem mostly lies. Timing is also much more important. It'll come with practice, don't be too hard on yourself.

cnerd123

likes this
When I moved from tape ball to hard ball, I realised I was trying too hard to hit the ball hard. You can't really punch or time a tape ball away fro a lot of runs, you develop the habit of trying to whack it. You can't do that with the hard ball. You need to hold the bat a lot firmer, and try to just punch the ball rather than hitting it hard. Atleast until you get your eye in.

Fielding is also going to be a challenge for you - the hard ball can really sting your hands. You shouldn't grab at it like you would with a tape ball. Try to practice taking some high catches and flat catches in nets, work on your catching technique. Bad technique with hard ball = bruised and possibly broken fingers. And lots of drops/fumbles.

It takes some time. Take it slow at first.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Also, remember that if you are too slow to sway out of the way of tennis ball bouncers, you will be way too slow to sway out of leather ball ones. Also, top edging off breaks onto your face hurts like a bitch. Always go for a helmet, we are not international quality batsmen.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, if you were playing on mats (as opposed to synthetic grass), they're just a bastard of a surface tbh.

Don't be too hard on your self. Get a mate and go to the nets and have him give you a heap of throw downs to get you used to the feel of bat on ball. Then get him to adjust the length he's throwing the ball, so you can work on some shorter stuff (not bouncers, I mean short of a length) so you're getting into the feel of the ball coming onto the bat.

Anyway, good luck with it. Stick to it and you'll definitely get better and enjoy the game.

jewelthief

Cricket Spectator
Also, if you were playing on mats (as opposed to synthetic grass), they're just a bastard of a surface tbh.

Don't be too hard on your self. Get a mate and go to the nets and have him give you a heap of throw downs to get you used to the feel of bat on ball. Then get him to adjust the length he's throwing the ball, so you can work on some shorter stuff (not bouncers, I mean short of a length) so you're getting into the feel of the ball coming onto the bat.

Anyway, good luck with it. Stick to it and you'll definitely get better and enjoy the game.

Thanks for the replies. The problem with finding the mate is that I am new in New Zealand and I don't know anyone who would go with me with that sort of practice, certainly not that good enough mate :(

Blocky

Banned
Thanks for the replies. The problem with finding the mate is that I am new in New Zealand and I don't know anyone who would go with me with that sort of practice, certainly not that good enough mate :(
Good old fashioned throw downs to get used to how the hard ball comes off the wicket, combined with net sessions when you get a chance.

NZ is pretty open around players turning up to trainings, if you see people in the nets and you're willing to roll your arm over for some overs, they'll roll their arm over for you too.

Ridhwa Sarkar

Cricket Spectator
I am just opposite to you.i have moved from hard ball cricket to tennis ball cricket.yes,its difficult for you(not in my case,because tennis ball does not swing a lot).you are playing on mat,so hard ball will swing more than if it is played on soil(because the ball does not get older so quickly in this case).my suggestion to you give importance on basic tech.,like your stance,batting grip,front foot & back foot play.practice in net,you will have to be seasoned with it,nothing else.all the best...