• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New feature: Can't You Hear Me Knocking? Gaining Entry to the ICC Hall of Fame

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Allan Donald not being there is sad, although as the piece mentioned, there are hardly any spare votes left each year now.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Allan Donald not being there is sad, although as the piece mentioned, there are hardly any spare votes left each year now.
Cheers for reading harsh.ag. It's interesting that South Africa is under-represented in general, though I did give some reasons for that. There are a number of great Proteas that are retired and who are eligible or about to be so, such as Smith and Kallis - you would think they were automoatic choices too.

bagapath

International Captain
I think so too, but as I was saying in the piece the longer it goes on after retirement it seems the less likely that a modern player would be elected.
You make a good point in the article. I hope Shaun gets his due. Top 50 cricketer of all time by anyone's standards

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cheers for reading harsh.ag. It's interesting that South Africa is under-represented in general, though I did give some reasons for that. There are a number of great Proteas that are retired and who are eligible or about to be so, such as Smith and Kallis - you would think they were automoatic choices too.
Yeah, but I think the long term scenario may turn out to be slightly different. For the next few years, you have all the great cricketers from the thriving noughties becoming eligible, which we all know was an unusually good time for run scoring in general. After that, I think there might be at least one opening every year, as Test cricket hasn't had a clear ATG since Steyn.

So, I think yesteryear greats should find a spot if the panel is wise enough. As for Smith, I think Donald should get the nod ahead of him, and he can be shooed in later, something that he too would agree on, I am sure.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Nice to see that Donald got in this year. But, as I had mentioned in the piece, as would be expected Murali, Dravid, Ponting and Tendulkar got in first time, but with at most two modern players inducted each year the list of also-rans grows longer and longer.