• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Bat!

J_asonR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey guys and girls,
Just been out to Cricket-Hockey, which is a really nice cricket store down in the South of England, and bought myself a new bat!

Towards the end of last season I cracked my beloved GM Hero 808 Ltd Edition which I had for about 3 years.. That bat was my first SH and was a beast.

I've been using my friends Newbury Uzi 20/20 for the first part of this season and it's been a pleasure to use! Hit two tons in my first two games and I decided I wanted something more similar to that over my old GM.

This is what I walked away with:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLqoT-nCEAA-6a0.jpg:large

It's a Hunts County Caerulex and looks the part. It's got a really nice pick up, and weight is identical to the Uzi I've been using..

I thinking of whipping the stickers off, I really like the look of a plain bat, and oiling it up to start using in a couple of weeks time, after some serious knocking in.

I also came away with one of this Readers thinner bats which help with middling the ball? To be honest, I think they saw me coming! Hahaa..

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hey guys and girls,
Just been out to Cricket-Hockey, which is a really nice cricket store down in the South of England, and bought myself a new bat!

Towards the end of last season I cracked my beloved GM Hero 808 Ltd Edition which I had for about 3 years.. That bat was my first SH and was a beast.

I've been using my friends Newbury Uzi 20/20 for the first part of this season and it's been a pleasure to use! Hit two tons in my first two games and I decided I wanted something more similar to that over my old GM.

It's a Hunts County Caerulex and looks the part. It's got a really nice pick up, and weight is identical to the Uzi I've been using..

I thinking of whipping the stickers off, I really like the look of a plain bat, and oiling it up to start using in a couple of weeks time, after some serious knocking in.

I also came away with one of this Readers thinner bats which help with middling the ball? To be honest, I think they saw me coming! Hahaa..
I am a believer that bats with a low grain count are much better. I counted 7 grains on the face of your bat and I think that is a good number.

What weight is it?

J_asonR

I am a believer that bats with a low grain count are much better. I counted 7 grains on the face of your bat and I think that is a good number.

What weight is it?
I agree with your statement. I've always used 7/8 grain bats. This particular one weighs in at 2.11 which is an ideal weight for me I think.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

What weight is it?
Narrower grains give you a better bat, but it won't last as long as bats with wider grains. It depends on your needs.

J_asonR

Narrower grains give you a better bat, but it won't last as long as bats with wider grains. It depends on your needs.
Yeah, I'd hope to not have to replace a bat after 2/3 decent innings.. Not sure if that's a possibility or a myth but not worth the risk in my eyes..

crickball

Cricket Spectator
Hey good topic!! I believe the fact with your declaration. I've always used 7/8 feed softball bats. This particular one is in at 2.11 which is an recommended weight for me.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This is the opposite of what I have heard.

found this quote that backs you up though

The Grain width

The second manufacturing aspect to be kept in mind is the amount of grains the bat has. The ideal number of grains in a bat can be anywhere from 6 to 12 across the face of the bat.

It is, at times, said that a bat with narrow grain is a good bat but that is not entirely true. Such a bat will play good initially, given you are competent with it, but don’t expect it to last long. These are the kind of bats that might get you a good 100 or 200 in an innings but be ready to play the next inning with another bat. Such bats will split very early. If you are looking for a long term relationship then, as mentioned earlier, a grain width of 6 to 12 grains is ideal in a bat once you run it in.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is the opposite of what I have heard. Also in my experience my best bat had 7 grains and my cheaper bats growing up had over ten.

I don't know who is right Daemon just saying I have heard the opposite.
Hmm. The logic I heard from others was that the narrower the grains, the quicker the tree has grown. It apparently gives you a better quality bat, but one that doesn't last as long as compared to a bat made from wood that's matured slowly. If you're going to do a lot of batting against cheap hard balls then a bat with wider grains is generally preferred.

This could all be BS of course, I don't know who's right either.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
In my experience a 7/8 grain bat is still lasting at least two years though if you are batting twice a week. All that stuff is about grain is a little overblown IMO, if it is good quality willow then you will be fine. Anyone played with a Spartan 329? I need a new bat and absolutely love the look of it. I've read a few reviews as well and I like the idea of it being 2 lbs 11 but feeling 2 lbs 8/9. How does it compare to the Spartan Authority?

J_asonR

Had the bat for about 2 and a bit months, and it's cracked. I dug out a yorker right on the bottom inside edge of the toe, and a large piece has been pushed back and cracked quite significantly. I've sent the bat back to the manufacturer.. Not sure whether they'll replace it or repair it.. I'll keep you all posted!

crickball

Cricket Spectator
Hey Hurricane !!

Thanks for sharing links : Choosing a Cricket Bat: Peformance vs. Endurance | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips. This is good information for me.

mohitnrverma

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys and girls,

Plain cricket bat will be best option for you. Yes, It's good idea of whipping the stickers off.

SLA

Cricket Spectator
If you do shell out on a decent bat, I would strongly recommend saving it for matches and not using it in the nets.The entire value of a decent bat is in outdoor play, but most bats get broken from winter net use. Its not worth it.

I normally buy a top quality bat for £80 and only use it in the summer and a decent quality bat for £30 and use it in the winter. Try to make sure they're the same weight and feel.