• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Natural talent vs hard work

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Naturally talent: Vaughan, Afridi, Enamul Haque Jnr
Hard work: Langer, Thorpe, Inzamam

veeru2810

Banned
most naturally talented is lara for me.....

and plus many ppl said VINOD KAMBLI was a lot more talented than Sachin. Just see where he is now, talent is not everything.

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
because he isn't consistent. dont be silly asking such moronic questions. stick to the point. he is definately a natural talent. lara and everyone else up top got there because they work hard.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aliG said:
because he isn't consistent. dont be silly asking such moronic questions. stick to the point. he is definately a natural talent. lara and everyone else up top got there because they work hard.
lara and tendulkar all have natural talent, that's how theyve remained in their respective teams. what sjs asked was in no way silly or moronic. surely one who has a lot of natural talent would be relatively consistent

Craig

World Traveller
Rahul Dravid looks like a guy what natural talent and hard work have done.

Any player who has oddles of natural talent and doesn't take advantage of it is really criminal.

tooextracool

International Coach
andyc said:
lara and tendulkar all have natural talent, that's how theyve remained in their respective teams. what sjs asked was in no way silly or moronic. surely one who has a lot of natural talent would be relatively consistent
thats ridiculous, mark ramprakash and graeme hick have more talent than most players in the world today. and where are they exactly?
to say something like if X is so talented, why isnt he playing currently is a futile argument, because as i've said about 1 million times talent does not equal to performance.

tooextracool

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
but then again, you'd have to be presuming he can play every shot in the book due to natural talent and not because he worked hard in the first place...
then you'd be saying that virtually every player who plays cricket at any level worked hard.
because every player did work extensively on his strokes and on his technique

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
'Sachin Tendulkar - Most overrated player EVER!!!'

Either you forgot you think he's overrated, or you don't think he made the most of his talent.
as i said earlier, talent does not equal performance. for me tendulkar has performed far far below the talent he has.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
then you'd be saying that virtually every player who plays cricket at any level worked hard.
because every player did work extensively on his strokes and on his technique
Then i guess you'd have to define 'working hard'...are you saying that every player spends 6-8 hours a day doing gym work, training, etc etc and the only thing that separates them is their natural talent? In this instance working hard refers to spending hours a day training + extra time spent working on areas you think might need attention, not turning up to training two days a week for 2 or so hours - so you wouldn't be saying every player that plays at any level works hard.

$achin_rockz

Cricket Spectator
i should probably define what i meant by natural talent, basically anyone who looks like they were 'born' to play cricket, I believe this about Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, natural talent is instinctive its the difference between someone with an extremely high IQ and someone who has worked to become clever. This is not stating that Lara, Pontin etc. dont work hard more so just batting seems to come to them much more naturally.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
$achin_rockz said:
i should probably define what i meant by natural talent, basically anyone who looks like they were 'born' to play cricket, I believe this about Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, natural talent is instinctive its the difference between someone with an extremely high IQ and someone who has worked to become clever. This is not stating that Lara, Pontin etc. dont work hard more so just batting seems to come to them much more naturally.
Yes thats why Lara and Tendulkar have more natuaral talent than someone like Afridi but people seem to put him ahead of them just becasue he is such an atacking player

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
thats ridiculous, mark ramprakash and graeme hick have more talent than most players in the world today. and where are they exactly?
to say something like if X is so talented, why isnt he playing currently is a futile argument, because as i've said about 1 million times talent does not equal to performance.
No, talent + temperament does.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dedication & application (or the ability to do) = natural talent for me.
You can either do it or you can't.
If someone can't make themselves work, you can't make 'em work.
And of course for some people no amount of hard work would have made them any better, eg David Gower, Viv Richards.