• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

nathan bracken was a better odi bowler than brett lee

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson
Gilchrist +
Ponting
Jones
M.Waugh
Symonds
Hussey
Warne
Starc
Bracken
McGrath

Is what I'd pick today. Would be equally happy with Lee or Lillee in place of Bracken. MWaugh or Watson can argue about who is gonna open or bat in the middle, but I'm still having Junior for the fielding (plus batting). Always gonna want Ponting, Symonds and Junior in the inner circle when fielding.

I'd actually have Watto, Roy and MWaugh share the 5th bowling duties, but still absolutely convinced Symonds is a legit option as a 5th bowler on his own.

This'll be my last comment on that topic in this thread out of respect to Flem and Nathan Bracken.
lol @ Mark Waugh over Bevan in the middle order

I know he was a better fielder but come on

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I have always rated Bracken ahead, but it probably makes more sense to rate Lee ahead based on how short Bracken was on top of his game for- he ended up taking 2/3 of his wickets in a 3 year period. But he was so good in that period.

Bracken is really similar to Tsostobe- Left arm FM, over the wicket, swing and cutters. Nearly identical stats. Tsostobe doing that well always seemed a bit of a head scratcher though, while Bracken looked the part. Might have been Brackens extra bit of juice while bowling swing, IDK?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah RH side is awesome but Mark Waugh at 5 is a disaster waiting to happen in an ATG World Cup or something. Bevan at 5 will make so much more sense.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah RH side is awesome but Mark Waugh at 5 is a disaster waiting to happen in an ATG World Cup or something. Bevan at 5 will make so much more sense.
Bevan at 4, Jones is superfluous, get Watson in at 7 and bat Symonds at 5 and Hussey at 6.

stephen

Is everyone picking Jones forgetting that we have Warne already so our Victorian quota is satisfied?

vcs

Watson is clearly the better player but I think someone like Maxwell would fit that role better in a "horses for courses" kind of way.

TheJediBrah

if Watson isn't batting top 3 then he shouldn't make the side

I would consider picking Hogg ahead of Warne too tbh. Better fielder and batsman.

mr_mister

I have a sneaky suspicion Dean Jones is a tad overrated in ODIs

He got to face the useless Sri Lankan bowling attack of his era 15 times, a decent amount and averaged 109 against them. With a ton and 9 fifties. It's super impressive of course in its own way the way that minnow bashing often is, but it heavily influenced his career average off 44

Against the West Indies, aka the true test for any batsman of his era, he averaged 23 from 40 innings, with 4 fifties. In other words he was useless when the going got tough, something he has been criticised a bit in tests too(for his dead rubber tons)

Food for thought.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
nah, i put watson at #7. he batted there in the 2007 wc and was very successful, plus he's a much better bowler. he also edges symonds on record, though both were fantastic hitters.

warner
gilchrist
ponting
jones
bevan
hussey
watson
starc
warne
bracken
mcgrath

that's my team
lol @ Mark Waugh over Bevan in the middle order

I know he was a better fielder but come on
That's cool, I'll just open with him and throw Watto at 5 where he averaged almost 50 at a SR of 93

Waugh
Gilchrist +
Ponting
Jones
Watson
Symonds
Hussey
Warne
Starc
Bracken
McGrath

TheJediBrah

That's cool, I'll just open with him and throw Watto at 5 where he averaged almost 50 at a SR of 93

Waugh
Gilchrist +
Ponting
Jones
Watson
Symonds
Hussey
Warne
Starc
Bracken
McGrath
You really don't like Bevan for some reason don't you

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I’ve showed you comprehensively in another thread that he was used, and was perfectly good, as a 5th bowler.
Except for all the times when he didn't even bowl at all, not even as a 6th bowler that is.

If a normal team doesn't regularly use someone as a bowler, then how does he become a legitimate option at a level above that?

DriveClub

International Regular
Except for all the times when he didn't even bowl at all, not even as a 6th bowler that is.

If a normal team doesn't regularly use someone as a bowler, then how does he become a legitimate option at a level above that?
Because I say so

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A Bevan Vs Symonds thread is gonna be good value with RH and TJB, I think..

And RH, for all the times we have accused each other of being biased to the teams we support, I cannot believe you leave out Bevan. Guy is a genuine ATG in this format, come on.

stephen

A Bevan Vs Symonds thread is gonna be good value with RH and TJB, I think..

And RH, for all the times we have accused each other of being biased to the teams we support, I cannot believe you leave out Bevan. Guy is a genuine ATG in this format, come on.
He has an irrational dislike for Bevan because in a couple of ODIs Bevan batted too slowly and got out.