• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Astle Retired

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Does anybody remember this one guy named Roger twose? For mine hes at least the equal of Martin Crowe and had he played more ODI cricket he would have probably been a bit better.
Of course I remember him - I worked with him for a while after he retired from cricket.

He was a classy player, but since he didn't have anywhere near as long a stint in the side as Crowe did, I'd still say Crowe truly proved himself the better player, by some margin.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Nathan Astle, a world class batsman, record holder, and a New Zealand cricket great in every respect. He's always scored big when it mattered, and it always paid off. He was not one to shy away from a challenge, be it scoring in India or chasing a huge total in the final innings. He's been a reliable anchorman for New Zealand, but had enough attack power to change the course of a match. Again a converted ODI opener like Ganguly or Tendulkar, he did the job just right. Even without the bat, he contributed a lot, especially on the field (as seen in one freak catch) and he was one part-time bowler who always made it count.

The innings I remember best are his century in Nagpur in the early 90's, which set the Indians a next-to-impossible 349, when they were yet to score a triple hundred even in India. Then came this century in the final ODI in the series against England, which won the match easily. And of course, everyone remembers that record-breaking double century which almost changed a one-sided match into a close one. He was special. He will be missed.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sad to see the guy go - obviously a great servant of NZ cricket that either seems to be regarded as a guy who's output didn't really match up to his degree of talent, or as somebody that regularly punched above his weight amongst people I know. Seemed to run very hot and cold to me, and I feel like I rarely saw him at his best. Always considered him dangerous though. Obviously that amazing double century the highlight.

Good on Astle for going out his way, it's a fairly difficult thing to do, both in the sense of making the decision, and in having your career end by your own hand rather than the selector's axe.