• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mystery Draft (ODI XI and Test XI, 79-09)

Precambrian

Banned
With Marshall, Holding and Garner missing the cut I'm going for my favourite and arguably the best quick from this period.

Curtly Ambrose Test and ODI.

BTW - precam do you want Punter for just ODIs or both or what?
Both ODIs and Tests. :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bagapath up.
Round 1
chaminda_00 - Muttiah Muralitharan
bagapath - Brian Lara
Somerset - Jacques Kallis
Michael - Sachin Tendulkar
Nufan - Kumar Sangakkara
Precambrian - Glenn McGrath
Matt79 - Andy Flower
Athlai - Wasim Akram

Round 2
Athlai - Waqar Younis
Matt79 - Shane Bond
Precambrian - RT Ponting
NUFAN - Curtly Ambrose
Michael - Martin Crowe
Somerset - Adam Gilchrist
bagapath - Shane Warne (Tests) Allan Donald (ODI's)
chaminda_00 - Andrew Jones

Round 3
Matt79 - Ajantha Mendis
Somerset - Heath Streak (Tests) Shaun Pollock (ODI's)
Michael - Rahul Dravid (Tests) Heath Streak (ODI's)
Athlai -
chaminda_00 -
NUFAN -
bagapath -
Precambrian -

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The only reason why I didn't go for Flower myself was because I actually rate my keeper Sangakarra as better then Flower.

For other countries like West Indies for instance, Flower would have been an ideal choice IMO, unless you like Ridley Jacobs heaps.
If you'd missed out on Murali and Sangakkara that probably would've been a bit inconvenient for the compilation of your side too so combine that along with your opinion that you rate Sangakkara more highly, and I guess he was a pretty logical selection for you.

Precambrian

Banned
Gilly :cry: Knew I should have gone for him ahead of Ponting. Dire stuff.

And worse am last in Round 3. :ranting:

Direr, with Warney gone

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Never heard of this guy before the Test draft. But stats look good.

Andrew Jones - ODIs and Tests

My first minnow.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Never heard of this guy before the Test draft. But stats look good.

Andrew Jones - ODIs and Tests

My first minnow.
Interesting choice, his stats are indeed impressive and its a shame he didn't play more for New Zealand. Shared in a partnership of 467 with Martin Crowe when he made his 299.

Edit: At least his test record is, didn't realise his strike rate in ODIs was quite that low.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Different eras guys most guys have s/r around 50 and 60 back then. Richie Richardson for example had a s/r of 60 odd. Not too many guys average 35+ in ODIs as well.
Pretty sure even a few modern Kiwi's might be above that in one dayers... Anyway.

Matt

Matt79

Global Moderator
Loving this draft - people are making what Leonidas in 300 described as a wonderful mess.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure even a few modern Kiwi's might be above that in one dayers... Anyway.
Did a bit of reseach on him during the other drafts and for mine the 2nd best batsmen after Crowe in that era. Fleming was too up and down for mine.