• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My honest review of the Ashes

chris.hinton

International Captain
What a series. Both sides played their part.

I believe that it was a fair result 2-2. I know the rain saved the Aussies but i don't think we should cry about it. So I would take a draw.

My Ratings (Series)

England

Crawley 8: Perhaps proved the doubters wrong, Plus is a gun at slip
Duckett 6: Plays well and looks the part but lacks a bit of bottle.
Moeen Ali 7: Came in and did a decent job, a 50 and a few wickets but i hope that is it.
Root 7: Looked the part, Failed to cash in on occasions. I believe he get stuck in a dig in innings & playing Bazball. Was very good with the ball
Brook 8: Excellent, Will be the best player in the world with 18 months. He needs to develop better game management and that what cost him a little in this
Stokes 8: Captaincy was excellent in parts and weird in others. Excellent innings at Lords but in vain. Still the player most oppostion will fear the most and Australia did
Bairstow 6: Poor behind the stumps, 1 great catch doesn't change much. Batting was average when the pressure was on and very good when it wasn't. Seems thin skinned
Broad 8: Excellent throughout the series, Sad to see him retire. Fitting end for him really. Always gave it his all
Woakes 9: Best English Bowler in England MOTS here, Excellent and was unplayable at times. We must start every test in England with him. Overseas not so much
Wood 8: Looked really sharp in the 3rd test, Dasher with the bat. But felt he wasn't as effective in the 5th test which could suggest give him only 2 games a time
Anderson 5: Poor, Ineffective. And was just a bit of a passenger which is sad
Robinson 6: Bowled ok. But likes to open his gob. Not sure if he is the answer in India.
Tongue 6: Bowled well at Lords. But same questions for India as Robinson
Pope 7: Batted well but England didn't really miss him when he was injured but obviously vital for India

Australia

Khawaja 9: Very efficient when batting. Looked relaxed and was the most consistent player for Australia MOTS
Warner 6: Just looks like getting out every ball, But may have saved his test career for now with that batting display.
Labuschagne 7: Had good starts but found a way to get out. Was the only batting for Australia in the 4th test.
Smith 7: Not the high standard from Smith, But finished strongly. Still should bowl more
Head 7: Just a weird series for him. Looked good and going to score big 100s. But then in the next innings he was all at sea.
Marsh 7: Started brilliant, Levelled off a little but i felt he battle well in the 4th test. His bowling is a bit ropey
Carey 7: Seemed effected by the Bairstow incident, But was very tidy behind the stumps. His batting wasn't great but not bad either
Cummins 7: Was the best bowler in the opening 2 tests but seems to play 2nd fiddle to Starc, His batting is decent
Starc 8: Dropping him was a good wake up call. He was the most consistent bowler for Australia since coming back in the side. Saved his test career
Murphy 7: Developing bowler. Not quite up to a big test match level yet. Looks really good as a batsman and could be an asset in the future
Hazelwood 6: Felt he's a bit over the hill as a bowler, And i think his test career could be questioned.
Lyon 7: Excellent with the ball. Was very brave batting in the 2nd test. Missed by Australia as his control would have helped massively in certain situations
Green 6: The Aussie hope. At the moment i'm not seeing that. could change in the future. But rightly out the side
Borland 6: Looked average with the ball & a little out of his depth. Had a fine innings in the 1st test

So it was an enjoyable series. The Schedule was bad and to cram this in to give space to an awful competition such as the 100. Is a kick in the face. Never again should 6 test be played in a short space of time.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Good post I agree with some those ratings I’d put a lot those Aussie players ratings a bit lower though. You say rain saved Aussie in 4th test which was true but you can’t say England didn’t get massive benefit from the rain the last test. This was a funny old series because both teams had great positions throughout the series to post a great total or bowl the opposition for less but it didn’t happen often. Probably the main reason it was close.

Retaining for Australia isn’t the worse thing but they’ll be pretty disappointed not to win it. England we’ll see how competitive they are in Australian the next ashes.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
Only one player across both teams got lower than a 6?

Nah bit too generous for mine. There were some pretty bad individual performances, others above have named a few of them.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't give any of the Aussies a rating over 5 except maybe Khawaja and Starc. They all underperformed massively. If you're getting a 6 that should mean above average

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah those are some IGN 7s there. Smith gets a 6, Head a 6, Khawaja an 8, Starc an 8, Murphy a 7 but everyone else is 5 or below.

EDIT: MMarsh a 7 too.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There are some pretty high numbers here for the Aussies. And if Anderson is a 5, it can only be based on the fact this Ashes campaign matches a lot of his others (actually, it was far worse than most, but hey).

Molehill

International Captain
Anderson should be about 3. Not sure how Carey is getting 7 either. His drop of Brook at The Oval was probably quite key to the whole game whilst his batting was rubbish (averaged 22). Whether it was right, wrong, planned or not, he also produced a moment that he'll probably regret being involved in in years to come.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
For me
England
Crawley 7
Duckett 5
Moeen 6
Root 7
Brook 7
Stokes 6
Bairstow 5 (has to be marked down because of his keeping in the first 2 tests)
Broad 7
Woakes 9
Wood 7
Anderson 3
Robinson 6
Tongue 6
Pope 6

Australia
Khawaja 8
Warner 4
Labuschagne 5
Smith 6
Head 6
Carey 6
Cummins 5
Starc 7
Hazlewood 6
Lyon 7
Marsh 7
Boland 3
Murphy 7
Green 4

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Flat distributions of series ratings centred on 7, just why
For England, there were some consistent cross series performances without ever quite hitting the heights such as Root and Stokes. The Aussies who only played a few games such as Marsh, Murphy and Lyon had all played well but not so well that I could give them more.

Molehill

International Captain
It's funny when you look at the series averages, you end up thinking 'how the **** did England not win that'?

Batting:
Crawley 53
Root 52
Stokes 45
Brook 40
Bairstow 40

Bowling:
Woakes 18
Wood 20
Robinson 28
Broad 28

Compare that to Aussies:

Batting:
Marsh 50
Khawaja 47
Smith 37
Head 36
Labuschagne 32

Bowling:
Murphy 26
Starc 27
Lyon 29
Hazlewood 32
Cummins 38

I guess the truth is, Manchester took a toll on both sets of averages and yet it didn't allow a result.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
It's funny when you look at the series averages, you end up thinking 'how the **** did England not win that'?

Batting:
Crawley 53
Root 52
Stokes 45
Brook 40
Bairstow 40

Bowling:
Woakes 18
Wood 20
Robinson 28
Broad 28

Compare that to Aussies:

Batting:
Marsh 50
Khawaja 47
Smith 37
Head 36
Labuschagne 32

Bowling:
Murphy 26
Starc 27
Lyon 29
Hazlewood 32
Cummins 38

I guess the truth is, Manchester took a toll on both sets of averages and yet it didn't allow a result.
2-2 yet the only test where one side somewhat dominated ended in a draw.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anderson should be about 3. Not sure how Carey is getting 7 either. His drop of Brook at The Oval was probably quite key to the whole game whilst his batting was rubbish (averaged 22). Whether it was right, wrong, planned or not, he also produced a moment that he'll probably regret being involved in in years to come.
No he won't imo. ATG stumping.